1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Your Thoughts when People say "They Don't Vote" in the Usa

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Thief King Bakura, Dec 12, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 15 users.
  1. Thief King Bakura
    Spaced

Thief King Bakura The Chaotic Neutral Zone
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +4,906 / 0 / -6
    Me when somebody says they don't vote in America:[​IMG]
    "Not voting is the same thing as giving a vote to Trump," I said to my Scl worker this afternoon when she told me she didn't vote. I understand somebody not being involved in politics but NOT VOTING, to me that's a crime against being a citizen.

Ok, that's a bit extreme and maybe my reaction was a bit extreme. But to tell you the truth, I was kind of upset by her saying she doesn't vote. She said she "doesn't have time to get involved with politics and elections." I said that was a mistake, a mistake not to vote. I know I probably shouldn't have talked about it with her. But it is just something that floored me, ya know? Like how can somebody not vote in the least? It makes no sense....like bunches of women way back at the turn of the century fought for that right to vote for you. I don't know. I apologise if this post doesn't make sense. Had to talk about it.

Now I turn it over to you, have you talked with people that say stuff like their vote doesn't matter and similar sayings? Doesn't it just boggle your mind? Especially when what is in office is in office? A certain orange doturd....? She's like (my scl worker), "He's still running?" And I was like, "Oh yeah. Not voting is the same thing as giving him a vote." The conversation turned icy after that. Yeah, kind of tells you a lot about a person....I don't know. My trust in her has kind of shattered. I know you don't have to be like super involved with the news or politics or what have ya? But at the very fucking least, get your ass out and vote as it is your Civic duty.
    [​IMG]
    So let's talk.... respectfully of course.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #1 Thief King Bakura, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  2. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Non-binary Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,335 / 0 / -1
    Yeah. I always try to get people to vote. Why not exercise our voting privileges. Even if their vote cancels out mine. Get out and vote.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. BiBiLife
    Loved

BiBiLife Forever in debt to your priceless advice.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,827 / 3 / -5
    Even if I don't like any of the candidates, I cannot not vote. People fought and died for my right to vote, how can I breeze by those Tuesdays without a second thought? I consider it my civic duty.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Alsthom
    Sarcastic

Alsthom Princess Chick Pea
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,020 / 0 / -1
    Not giving a single piece of shit about who's in charge of your country is kinda weird. Especially when you live in the most powerful country in the world. It's not just about your little piece of land, it has a much bigger effect...

However, not voting can be a way to "say" that you are not satisfied with the system or the options. The problem is that it's often a disregarded statistic.
    In France in 2017, 22% of the population didn't vote, and nobody (meaning none of the big media) talked about what it meant. And it was on the first turn, when you have all the candidates, not just two.
    On the second turn, I chose to vote blank, as neither of the candidates satisfied me enough (money man or racist woman...), and it's a number that is a tiny little bit more mentioned.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Thief King Bakura
    Spaced

Ratings:
    +4,906 / 0 / -6
    Thank you so much. I 1000% agree with both of you. Like, even if you don't know any of the candidates, at least vote. That's my thoughts. Also when people say they don't vote...
    [​IMG]

6. Thief King Bakura
    Spaced

Ratings:
    +4,906 / 0 / -6
    But at least ya voted....even if you didn't know who was who. I agree with you, it is indeed weird not to care about who's in charge of your country. I know we have an international embarrassment as our "president." Hell, the international leaders, not too long ago was laughing at his ass. Here's the video...

Yeah, you know you have a fucktard as president when he is being laughed out by international leaders.

7. Alsthom
    Sarcastic

Alsthom Princess Chick Pea
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,020 / 0 / -1
    Oh but I did know who was who. I just couldn't stand to vote for either one.
    Besides, I knew what would happen, and it did. People got scared of the far-right racist lady, Marine Le Pen (legitimately IMO), and voted for Mr $$$-obssessed Emmanuel Macron.
    Now he's got over half the country after his arse...

8. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 2 / -12
    If many of the people who complain about Donald Trump and want to see him out, had voted, he wouldn't be in to begin with. When he was running, I posted a poll asking people if they were going to vote. I think it got 3 votes and many views. I hope people have seen enough now that they will get out and vote, but I have doubts. "I don't like either party or candidate so I'm not voting" or, "Our votes don't count so why bother?" I really, really, don't want to hear that. Your vote does count and you can make a difference. Don't be so lazy. That's all it really is. Vote. It's not a bother, it's essential.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 2 / -12
    If getting to the polling places is inconvenient or you are pressed for time or on a tight schedule, contact your city hall or town office, or whatever entity handles elections in your area ahead of time and ask them to send you an absentee ballot. I hate going to the polls so I always vote that way. Fill it out at home and send it back by mail or hand carry it back when it's convenient.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Thief King Bakura
    Spaced

Ratings:
    +4,906 / 0 / -6
    [​IMG]

9000% agree with you, Barefoot-sama! I voted early during the mid terms last year. I may also get an early ballot to vote early. We have voter id laws here in Iowa which can be looked at as kind of a voter suppression. I totally think it is in my opinion. I remember being scared of showing my id last year because it still read the wrong gender marker. But this time when I voted during city elections, it said the RIGHT gender marker. Luckily when I voted early last year, I didn't need to show my id which was a big relief to me.

If you can't get out on voting day, request an early voting ballot. Your vote counts, even though you think it doesn't. It actually does. Please vote in your state, local, and national elections. You'll be glad you did in the long run. :) 

11. angel70
    Supportive

angel70 The Old Guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5,248 / 1 / -36
    I suspect a lot of non-voters, a large majority of whom are uneducated and/or not-too-bright, would vote for Trump is they bothered to go to the polls. The exceptions are members of minority groups; so I would encourage those non-voters to participate.

12. Jessica45
    Feminine

Jessica45 Bisexual mtf. Slightly insane
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,722 / 0 / -2
    I
    I actually did not vote last time because I did not want to vote for Trump but also couldn’t vote for anyone else. Perhaps I’m not bright, as you say, but I do have a college education

13. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 2 / -12
    I could vote for damned near anyone but Trump. Quite seriously.
    Never Trump.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Jessica45
    Feminine

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,722 / 0 / -2
    I understand that but I feel the same way about Hillary and everyone of the Democrat candidates so that leaves me out in the cold, so to speak It’s ok, I don’t expect to live a long life anyway, I won’t have to deal with it

15. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88

Ratings:
    +2,921 / 0 / -3
    Voting is important. I feel like people who don't vote shouldn't be allowed to complain if they don't like who is in office. I am politically involved, I vote and I also sometimes sign petitions that go to my state elected officials.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Shleyyy

Shleyyy Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Omg, and in this last election there were two kinds of non-voters: The not voting cause they just don't care and the overwhelming not voting because if they choose they'll be controversial. I don't think people realize they're still impacted by the policies put in place by their elected officials regardless of whether or not they voted...

yes, I feel VERY strongly about this

17. Joshua Aaron
    Happy

Joshua Aaron Autistic Bisexual
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Some states ban you from voting if you don't use your voting rights. Pretty much a "use it or lose it" rule. You have to go to court to get them back. Whenever they do decide to vote, they'll find out they won't be allowed to because they haven't voted in a while. People who don't vote in some states in the US are unintentionally taking away one of their own rights.

I think voting should be a requirement instead of a privilege. If somebody doesn't vote, I think they should be fined a pretty good-sized chunk of money. This is a democracy, so voting is crucial. If somebody doesn't vote, they aren't doing their part in American society by contributing to the democratic principles this country is voting on.

I view people who don't vote as lazy.

#17 Joshua Aaron, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  18. Joshua Aaron
    Happy

Joshua Aaron Autistic Bisexual
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Also, I won't be able to vote until the next midterms. I am pretty sure that you can't vote at 17 years old in any state. If you can vote under 18 in SC somehow, lemme know.

I am def. gonna vote in the next midterms, though.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  19. angel70
    Supportive

angel70 The Old Guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5,248 / 1 / -36
    From personal experience, I can attest that you can get old even when you didn't expect it at all -- and nobody else expected it of you either. Sometimes I run into people I haven't seen since 1971 or so, and the first thing they say is, "Hell, I never expected you'd still be alive!" As I say frequently, life is full of surprises -- like not being dead yet!

Frequently, voting in what passes for "democracy" involves deciding which of the candidates is least evil -- which can take a lot of effort at times, with well-practiced critical thinking skills. It also helps if you never watch the "news" on cable channels.

20. Jessica45
    Feminine

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,722 / 0 / -2
    I’ve been doing that all of my life, however there is no lesser evil in this race. I’m a capitalist, I can’t vote for the dems, and Trump acts like an infant way too much for me to support him. I’m often pressured to then to vote for someone who has fundamentally different beliefs than myself. I can’t do it. I’m capable f independent thought
    As far as my age goes, I’m 47, I’m not sure I need to live much more than a few more years, but who knows

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.