1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Work out suggestions?

Discussion in 'Health - Physical/Mental' started by 4G63, Dec 29, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. 4G63

4G63 Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    I think this would be the appropriate place to put this.

Hey guys I need some suggestions or motivational ideas. I really want to start working out and be healthier. My self image is really lacking. I’m determined to do it, but, it seems like the old “I don’t have enough time or too tired” to do it. I work retail so my hours are always flipping around like a sick fish. I’m sure quite a few of you know that feeling all too well. I want to lose weight and feel better but I do have a few things against me. Aside from my thyroid my eating habit is atrocious. It’s not that I eat a ton of junk or anything... it’s my lack of eating. I’m at work and I don’t have time. I don’t want to eat junk food so I just choose to not eat.

so I’m mainly looking for some good things I can do at home. Perhaps something simple, yet effective. Or maybe something easy to start out with and then something more difficult later on. I can’t really go to the gym as it is expensive not just the membership but the closest one is almost 30mi away. So hopefully some of you have some suggestions and ideas to keep motivated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Romeo
    Cheerful

Romeo Just hate to be alone
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -1
    Try to Hatha yoga, good stuff to keep your body in good shape and condition. Also it helps to clear mind and focus. First attempts would be difficult maybe :) 

3. 4G63

4G63 Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Yoga?! I forgot to mention I’m very clumsy and not very flexible lol. It may be worth a shot. I won’t know unless I try. Can I blame you if I break something while attempting? Jk :p 

4. Romeo
    Cheerful

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -1
    Well that's why I said First attempts would be difficult maybe :D  But with each lesson it will turn out better and better. You just need not to quit right away and do it regularly. And no, you can't blame me :D  But you always can send me a msg and I will support morally ♪ Also, if you break something, I'll send you a big fruit basket. Deal? :D  And without jokes, if you decide to practice, first send me a message, I can give a couple of tips :) 

5. 4G63

4G63 Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Ok, fine. It’s a deal. Make sure there is some chocolate covered strawberries in there too. It’s healthy... right? xD I will definitely give it a shot. Nothing ventured then nothing gained. Means I shall be doing some extensive google research to prepare myself lol.

6. Richardkioe

Richardkioe Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Stairs! xD

There is not much I can say if you don't go to the GYM actually. I mean, If you work in retail, you probably have high intensity of being active which is good. But not eating at all is really bad for your long term metabolism, it is going to slow overtime and you end up gain weight. Eat fruits! Don't say you don't have time to buy fruits and bring it for your lunch. And all you need is challenge your muscle to lose the weight.. because high activity in the working environment making your body get used to it..

I used to work crazy hours, and I still make it to the GYM tho, 30-40 minutes workout, 15-20 minutes shower!

Motivation : Stay healthy & live longer !

7. Romeo
    Cheerful

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -1
    Sugar is bad for you, but, well, if you start to work out then I guess it's ok to have a chocolate with strawberry sometime :)  Don't over do tho. You can find a good video lessons of Hatha yoga on YouTube for beginners. It's totally free and saves a bunch of time and you don't get tired after it! Well..... When you get used to it :D 

8. Super Raspberry

Super Raspberry Pan poly potato

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Like Romeo said, yoga is awesome! I struggle to keep up with an exercise routine but it hard to make excuses when all you have to do in roll out a yoga mat and put on a 10/20/30min yoga video. I also find that it's really calming and helps with mental health.

My favourite videos are 'yoga with adriene' on YouTube. She does really nice beginner's videos, and even a one-a-day challenge to get started every January which starts super simple then slowly builds up.

It's really hard to keep up a habit though if anyone has tips for that I'm all ears!

9. Alex_2019
    Bored

Alex_2019 Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -1
    Okay i'm going to save you from Yoga now heheh,
    before you get into a strange position and cant move out of,

I mean I'm sure it works for some people but your around my age,
    so I'm guessing you're going to want to maybe do something a bit more fun, with some music?

you already work in retail and probably walk miles around the store,
    so i'm thinking you should have a go at Leslie's Walk It.
    it's an easy and fun way to start out exercising, you can do it in your home and don't need any equipment or much space.

I found her videos on YouTube and it helped me to build up my stamina and get used to exercising without getting bored, or feeling like giving up after a few minutes.

It's a very smart way of working out, cause when you first start out, you'll be out of breath all the time, so when she goes back to a walk, it gives you the time you need to get your breath back.

Have a go, let me know if you find it any good, :) 

Also Gym memberships are expensive, plus can feel intimidating trying to work out in front of other people who are very fit.

#9 Alex_2019, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  10. 4G63

4G63 Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    ohh that looks like it will be simple. Well until I actually try it then my out of shape self will be huffing :D  but seeing as I was in marching band I shouldn’t have any difficulty keeping “in step” with it!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. Romeo
    Cheerful

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -1
    I'm gonna safe your time from walk xD

This walk is useless, it does not give the necessary tension to the muscles. And so no matter how much you exercise, nothing changes.

It may be like morning exercises, but if you live in an apartment, the neighbours below will not be happy about this :D 

12. 4G63

4G63 Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Oh man you lot are killing me Q.Q - the only person I’d make grumpy is my beagle lmao

13. Alex_2019
    Bored

Alex_2019 Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -1
    I should say i mean no disrespect to you or Yoga, i was just trying to offer an easy alternative way to start getting into fitness, i'm not an expert or anything but all exercise burns calories right?

I was doing these in the summer and it helped me a lot, they make it fun,
    its more like dancing than walking anyway.

you are going to need to make some changes to your eating habits,
    going without food is really bad, heard it makes the body store fat because it goes into survival mode.

It really helps to have an end goal, pick a weight you want to be at on the scales, and a reason why you want to be it, maybe you want to get in shape for dating or look great in the summer?

14. 4G63

4G63 Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Well I’m sure just about anything will make a difference. The results of being active will at least help. Making it easier as time goes on to try something more difficult.

Im very aware how bad my eating habit is. My inability to lose weight is pretty high from it. Guess I’ll add that to my list of things I need to change. I’m sure just if I changed my eating habits I’d get a long ways. Doesn’t really help that after I eat I usually go to bed because I have to be up so early -.-‘

15. josu

josu know yourself · love yourself
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    i'm really into qigong and taijiquan. i practice in my kitchen or on my porch, both small spaces. it can be as easy or as rigorous as you'd like it to be. relaxing the mind/body is a foundational principle tho. i've been practicing for about 1½ years. feel free to ask me anything about it if interested.

16. JingleBells

JingleBells jιngle
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -1

I'm really into Zhan Zhuang. Its going to take me a while to master it. I've only gotten into it recently. I don't have any teachers, I just try to learn these things own my own. I prefer Zazen because i'm lazy. Its too much work lol. But i want to master it. I shouldn't be this lazy.

17. josu

josu know yourself · love yourself
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    zhan zhuang is a very good practice. i usually try to incorporate at least ten to fifteen minutes of it into my taiji routine. and at least once each week i do a longer session, thirty to forty minutes.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.