1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Woes of a transgender man with schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Disability' started by Mudskipper, Jun 30, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Mudskipper
    Masculine

Mudskipper Old movie fan
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    So, to start off, I didn't know if I should post this mini rant here or in the transgender group. I decided to post it here due to the main concern being my disability.
    So, I have something called Schizoaffective disorder. In short, it's schizophrenia with a mood disorder. And I'm trans. These things have nothing to do with eachother, though.

Well... not according to my brother. I came out to him recently and thought it went well. Until he went behind my back to talk to my mother, asking if my schizophrenia could "make me think I'm a man." I was, of course, upset by this.
    Well, recently, he called me to tell me this in person and how he thought I should see a new psychiatrist because, obviously, my current psychiatrist can't be trusted because he agrees that I should start hormones. I tried telling him that I don't have a personality disorder and that I experienced dysphoria far before I ever showed syptoms of my disability, but he's persistent.
    Basically, I need help. I don't know how to get him off my case and to listen to me.

2. john1010101
    Old Hag

Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -11
    Ask your treating psychiatrist if you can bring your brother along to one of your appointments.
    Some practitioners will agree, some won’t but it often works effectively so long as you avoid any hint when discussing this move with your brother that he may need ‘treatment’. From what you’ve said however that could indeed be the case.

#2 john1010101, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.