1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

WLW book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by JayJayJayJay, Aug 16, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. JayJayJayJay

JayJayJayJay queer_barbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey! I'm a newly out queer and can finally read what I want to! I'm looking for good lesbian/wlw stories of any kind (romance, fantasy, whatever ). Any recommendations?

2. Judah Idris Buckner

Judah Idris Buckner Actual Lesbian
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well I don't know what you like, but my favorite lesbian novel is The Marquise and the Novice. It was written in the style of gothic fiction.

3. polecat

polecat Stealer of Rainbows
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi! I really enjoyed The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley; this was pretty gory and gritty so maybe don't read if you don't like violence, but even though it was more heavily violent than I would normally read, I personally found it bearable because it was written well and the characters were really good. It's a sci-fi story, set in this strange universe on massive, world-like spaceships made of living flesh, and all the characters are female; it's tricky trying to summarize the plot without writing loads but it is very immersive and fast-paced, full of suspense and tension too, the characters are all very flawed yet still likeable, and there is romance too. It was also really good and interesting in how it portrayed female characters as being just as capable of evil, violence--yet also cameraderie--as any male character, I really loved it.

There's also Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson which I really liked; it's slightly dramatised autobiographical, about the author's experiences growing up within a very heavily Christian community being raised as a missionary, only to discover she has a crush on a girl. That maybe sounds like it's going to be a very heavy, sad kind of read, but it was actually written in quite an entertaining way, even quite humourous at times in how she depicts the other church members, plus it's considered a bit of a literary classic apparently.

Also--I don't know if this counts, since it was written/illustrated by a lesbian but I don't think any of the characters are revealed as explicitly lgbt themselves--but if you like graphic novels and creepy stories, I would really recommend Through The Woods by Emily Carroll. It's a collection of short horror stories in graphic novel form; there isn't loads of gore or anything, my younger sister was able to read them fine, but the stories are just eerie and spine-tingling, plus the illustrations are really good too.

#3 polecat, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  4. laiza_k

laiza_k Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I really like the misseducation of Cameron post. They made a movie based on the book too if you are interested

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.