1. $1. For $1 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to make a donation. Thank you!

Why are people homophobic

Discussion in 'Heterosexual' started by Jazz, Aug 28, 2016.  |  Print Topic

$1 - Support the site and go ad free for life for $1. Click here to make a donation.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 33 users.
  1. Arnie Aversion
    Overworked

Arnie Aversion Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -15
    Let's look at the word homophobia... "Homo:" a member of the genus, home. "Phobia:" an unreasonable fear...

Homophobia isn't a defined mental illness but the gay community seems to have no problem failing to recognise that the word, "homophobia" literally means "self-hating."

I'm not homophobic. I simply don;t want to be around gay people. If I can avoid homosexuals, I'm cool with that. So too should anyone else. I'm not running around shouting that a gay person is mentally defective or has a mental illness because they're gay, but for something as simple as not wanting to share my personal time with gays, I'll be labelled a mental case, homophobe...

I've had horrible experiences with gay people... Good Friday was yet another perfect example when a now, former friend, thought it would be okay to offer oral sex. What the hell is wrong with the gay community when a friend of twenty years thinks it's okay to behave like that to a man who he's known is straight for twenty years?

How about the transvestite that attacked me and nearly killed me when they pushed me backwards into a 4 storey deep manhole...

What about the weird guy in the bathroom of a McDonalds that accused me of showing my cock to him? I'm a construction manager. I'm dressed in construction clothes and life safety harnesses and this pig waltzed right into the stall where I was taking a piss...

What about the gay guy that grabbed my ass because he just figured it was okay to do that?

What about my GF's gay friends that constantly try and hug me, even after I've made it clear that I don't want to hug any man?

There are a tonne of reasons why people claim an aversion to homosexuality. I say, learn to deal.

I don't want to be around gay people anymore than they want to have me around. I have nothing in common, nothing to say, no interest in their lives, no reason to care about them and no reason to expand a frienship with them. It's called choice and free will.

I can accept that a person is gay. Can a gay person accept that I'm not? Hasn't seemed that way, in my experience.

A gay person can call me homophobic but would they be willing to retract the label if they understood that my life is my life and I don't want to be around homosexuality.

I can work with gay people and have hired several in my life but I'm not inviting them over to hang out with my buddies or my family. Can a gay person accept that they're not welcome without insulting me or calling me names...

I find it rather brash that homophobia (again, a made up word that has no base in binary science or psychology) is an accepted term of derision and that the LBGT community and BLM runs around claiming my right to freely associate with or disassociate from groups, places and people of my choosing is a simple personal freedom.

I'm not homophobic. I've made a choice. I've tried to be understanding and supporting but now... I want no gay people in my life, in my home, or anywhere near me. Why? Because every gay person I've ever dealt with has turned into a walking piece of human garbage. I may be straight and I may have strong opinions but I've tried, countless times...

Today, I've been clear with my GF that I will not visit with, spend time with, invite or spend my time with anymore homosexuals. I'm sick of being pinched, hugged, squeezed and made fun of because some gay dudes think it's funny to pick on the uncomfortable, blue collar construction worker... I don't make "fag" jokes, so why pick on me? As I said to the GF, people in my world don't get "chances." If I have to warn you that you're out of line, the next step, (for anyone, gay or straight) is to be put, impolitely, in their place.

Look, just let people be. If you wanna be gay, go for it. If you want me to accept you into my world; forget about it.

I'm sure I've run into people that I mightn't know are gay but when I find out they are, they're no longer welcome in my personal life. (And why would they want to be, anyway?)

As long as I'm not hurting people intentionally or going out of my way to damage someone, the gay community should learn to shut up about homophobia. I don;t care what you do or how you live your life. I deserve for the gay community to afford me the same courtesy

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. mannequin sky-walker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    either or both of the following: general bitterness with religion to as a justification (pretty much the same as xenophobia, racism and so on), and compensating outwardly for being gay yourself. it's kind of proven that homophobes are at least in part gay and insecure about they masculinity, so theybash gays in order to act manly and because it seems to them like they're defeatin the effeminacy in themselves. now you'll tell me that being gay is not about being effeminate but homosexuality is perceived as such by homophobes. and that's also the reason why femail homosexuality isn't as criticised as male homosexuality

3. anon_abstraction
    Chatty

anon_abstraction Renaissance Nerd
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    So....uh....I have something different to say about this. I was homophobic when I was younger because I was afraid of feelings I was having for people that shared the same gender as me. By speaking out against it when I was young I belittled myself to the point that I could trivialize my feelings and pass them off as being just that. Trivial.

4. pokerchips
    Holy Shit

pokerchips Dedicative Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My favorite part of this whole long winded duechbaggery was that he completely screwed up the meaning of the prefix "homo". When it's used by itself, say Homo Sapiens, yes he's correct. It comes from Latin meaning "man", which is also the genus that humans are classified as. However, when it's used a prefix, such as "homosexual" it means "same". It comes from the Greek word "homos" meaning to be the same.

The is the same as "hetero" when used as a prefix such as "heterosexual", it means "different", or as "heterocyclic" in chemistry meaning compounds the are different from carbon.

Again, bisexual, "bi" meaning two. "Bicycle" meaning two wheels. Pan being from the Greek "of everything".

5. anon_abstraction
    Chatty

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Does this page require a different email address every time you make an account? I have seen those same stories at least twice under two different handles. That person is what we call a dedicated douchebag.

6. Finis
    No Mood

Finis Body of Utopia
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    What you don't savvy about will make you think, say, and act a different way ...

Frankly, when I came out & realized I was different, I was quite eager, accepting, and comfortable with it; however, the very same optimism clouded the harsh reality of those that do despise people that are gay.

None-the-less, I gained experience over time and found out who genuinely mattered in my life and who didn't.

7. pokerchips
    Holy Shit

pokerchips Dedicative Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I really wish he'd come back and I could catch him before he got banned. I'd love to just bug him for hours on end explaining why not only is he a douchebag, but he's a stupid douchebag.

8. anon_abstraction
    Chatty

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    "I'm homophobic let me give you reasons why I am and copy paste threads with different names. Then say over and over again I'm not."
    -anonymous stupid douchebag

Having threads copied and ready to go for the few moments before he is banned means he must have some kind of mission. I have seen the thread titled autism at least twice. I've been on this site for like two days?

9. Marlak16
    Mellow

Marlak16 Still learning about stuff

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I also used to be homophobic because I was taught to be homophobic, because my mom is also homophobic. But I remember that back when I was 4 or 5 I was thinking things like "In fairy tales, prince always saves the princess and then they kiss and marry. But why can't it be about two princesses or two princes?". No baby comes out of mother's womb thinking "I hate gays". It's others that tell us to hate. And the circle keeps going...

10. Valarmorghulis
    Zorro

Valarmorghulis Rias gremory's pawn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 19 / -233
    na sorry marlak i don't agree with that. My mother has always reinforced having an open mind in my upbringing and has always encouraged me not to judge something on face value. Yet even though I'm bisexual i still tend to feel a bit of homophobia when i see 2 guys kissing in public vs 1 girl and 1 guy.

11. Marlak16
    Mellow

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Valarmorghulis
    I understand that. I guess I am just used to hearing people say "homophobia" in the same context as "racism" or "sexism". I know it's not the same. I hope I didn't offend you or anything.

12. Valarmorghulis
    Zorro

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 19 / -233
    of course not no :)  all I'm trying to say is it's not always being brought up as a homophobic person what I'm trying to say i guess is that infants don't think an awful lot when they come out of a womb and people make their own choices. It's not always down to what other people tell us.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 at 7:57 AM ---
    well.. that is my opinion from anecdotal experience.

13. Marlak16
    Mellow

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Valarmorghulis

I don't think about it that way often, y'know? Because I know that any kind of discrimination had to start SOMEWHERE. To me, it comes down to the fear of unknown. We aren't used to seeing someone love someone they aren't expected to. I used to think that LGBT community was weird for that reason as well. Why are we afraid of dark? Because we don't know what may "jump at us" from it, because we can't see in the dark. Why are we afraid of certain animals? Because they look different, which makes them look weird to some people and we don't know what they might do to us. I forgot to write that because I am frustrated by all the anti-LGBT people in my life, in this world, I just want everyone to be happy, but I know there are people who can't be happy because there are people who are stupid.

14. Valarmorghulis
    Zorro

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 19 / -233
    but the thing is and what i try and say to people on this site a lot is that the aim is not to make people not fear you, because if they are going to fear you they will regardless of what you say. And the more you aggravate them the worse it gets. The aim is to accept yourself for who you are and ignore the people who would put you down. Yeah in an ideal world we would all just be human but that is not possible is it? you can't change people's mind so you just waste energy being angry about it.

15. AudryLeigh
    Feminine

AudryLeigh tGirl and Dedicated Advisor
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +482 / 0 / -8
    First off, Arnie was banned at his own request, months ago and won't be back, under any name. Second however, I'd like to correct his definition of homophobia. "Homo" also means 'same', as in homogenized milk - hence the term homosexual, as in same sex. Homophobia is not the fear of the genus homo, or of homogenized milk, it is the "unreasonable fear" of homosexuality. The fact that a phobia is an unreasonable fear, says it all. By definition, phobes are "unreasonable". Simple as that. And unreasonable means not able to reason. So let them wallow in their own little quagmires of fear, and get on with life.

Hugs to all my LGBT+ sisters and brothers,
    Audry

16. Arie331

Arie331 Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -2
    Because people have small penises and are insecure about their feelings. Its just ridicuous to fear something that people love or whom they love

Edit: wait dislike... Its a fact. Like i am not a angry person. Its just a fact. People who are homophobic tends to be insecure and usually are motivated by how they were raised to be seen as normal either by ideas, religions etc. Not that i care what people believe in, but thats just a fact. Like it doesn't affect my everyday life, i just ignore it and let the world be as it is and do what i like best

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
    #76 Arie331, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:02 AM
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 1:11 AM
  17. Halloween
    Batty

Halloween I'd rather burn than boil
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 0 / -34