1. $1. For $1 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to make a donation. Thank you!

Why are people homophobic

Discussion in 'Heterosexual' started by Jazz, Aug 28, 2016.  |  Print Topic

$1 - Support the site and go ad free for life for $1. Click here to make a donation.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 35 users.
  1. anon_abstraction
    Adorable

anon_abstraction Renaissance Nerd, AMAB They/Them/Theirs
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Does this page require a different email address every time you make an account? I have seen those same stories at least twice under two different handles. That person is what we call a dedicated douchebag.

2. Finis
    No Mood

Finis Body of Utopia
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    What you don't savvy about will make you think, say, and act a different way ...

Frankly, when I came out & realized I was different, I was quite eager, accepting, and comfortable with it; however, the very same optimism clouded the harsh reality of those that do despise people that are gay.

None-the-less, I gained experience over time and found out who genuinely mattered in my life and who didn't.

3. pokerchips
    Dancing

pokerchips Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -36
    I really wish he'd come back and I could catch him before he got banned. I'd love to just bug him for hours on end explaining why not only is he a douchebag, but he's a stupid douchebag.

4. anon_abstraction
    Adorable

anon_abstraction Renaissance Nerd, AMAB They/Them/Theirs
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    "I'm homophobic let me give you reasons why I am and copy paste threads with different names. Then say over and over again I'm not."
    -anonymous stupid douchebag

Having threads copied and ready to go for the few moments before he is banned means he must have some kind of mission. I have seen the thread titled autism at least twice. I've been on this site for like two days?

5. Marlak16
    Mellow

Marlak16 Still learning about stuff ( straight ally )

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I also used to be homophobic because I was taught to be homophobic, because my mom is also homophobic. But I remember that back when I was 4 or 5 I was thinking things like "In fairy tales, prince always saves the princess and then they kiss and marry. But why can't it be about two princesses or two princes?". No baby comes out of mother's womb thinking "I hate gays". It's others that tell us to hate. And the circle keeps going...

6. Valarmorghulis
    Dead

Valarmorghulis Opai dragon !
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +797 / 20 / -287
    na sorry marlak i don't agree with that. My mother has always reinforced having an open mind in my upbringing and has always encouraged me not to judge something on face value. Yet even though I'm bisexual i still tend to feel a bit of homophobia when i see 2 guys kissing in public vs 1 girl and 1 guy.

7. Marlak16
    Mellow

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Valarmorghulis
    I understand that. I guess I am just used to hearing people say "homophobia" in the same context as "racism" or "sexism". I know it's not the same. I hope I didn't offend you or anything.

8. Valarmorghulis
    Dead

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +797 / 20 / -287
    of course not no :)  all I'm trying to say is it's not always being brought up as a homophobic person what I'm trying to say i guess is that infants don't think an awful lot when they come out of a womb and people make their own choices. It's not always down to what other people tell us.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    well.. that is my opinion from anecdotal experience.

9. Marlak16
    Mellow

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Valarmorghulis

I don't think about it that way often, y'know? Because I know that any kind of discrimination had to start SOMEWHERE. To me, it comes down to the fear of unknown. We aren't used to seeing someone love someone they aren't expected to. I used to think that LGBT community was weird for that reason as well. Why are we afraid of dark? Because we don't know what may "jump at us" from it, because we can't see in the dark. Why are we afraid of certain animals? Because they look different, which makes them look weird to some people and we don't know what they might do to us. I forgot to write that because I am frustrated by all the anti-LGBT people in my life, in this world, I just want everyone to be happy, but I know there are people who can't be happy because there are people who are stupid.

10. Valarmorghulis
    Dead

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +797 / 20 / -287
    but the thing is and what i try and say to people on this site a lot is that the aim is not to make people not fear you, because if they are going to fear you they will regardless of what you say. And the more you aggravate them the worse it gets. The aim is to accept yourself for who you are and ignore the people who would put you down. Yeah in an ideal world we would all just be human but that is not possible is it? you can't change people's mind so you just waste energy being angry about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh tGirl and Dedicated Advisor
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +610 / 0 / -12
    First off, Arnie was banned at his own request, months ago and won't be back, under any name. Second however, I'd like to correct his definition of homophobia. "Homo" also means 'same', as in homogenized milk - hence the term homosexual, as in same sex. Homophobia is not the fear of the genus homo, or of homogenized milk, it is the "unreasonable fear" of homosexuality. The fact that a phobia is an unreasonable fear, says it all. By definition, phobes are "unreasonable". Simple as that. And unreasonable means not able to reason. So let them wallow in their own little quagmires of fear, and get on with life.

Hugs to all my LGBT+ sisters and brothers,
    Audry

12. Arie331

Arie331 Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -2
    Because people have small penises and are insecure about their feelings. Its just ridicuous to fear something that people love or whom they love

Edit: wait dislike... Its a fact. Like i am not a angry person. Its just a fact. People who are homophobic tends to be insecure and usually are motivated by how they were raised to be seen as normal either by ideas, religions etc. Not that i care what people believe in, but thats just a fact. Like it doesn't affect my everyday life, i just ignore it and let the world be as it is and do what i like best

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
    #72 Arie331, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. Halloween
    Batty

Halloween I'd rather burn than boil
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,061 / 0 / -37

14. SilentOcelot
    Mellow

SilentOcelot Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    They maybe hiding from the truth that they might be or are LGBT too.

15. Sir A.G
    Bashful

Sir A.G Transgender Guy
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 1 / -4
    Because they're pussehs! Scared of what they don't know. But I do feel bad for people who can't understand something that's pretty simple. That or they're scared of gay people lol

16. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 Dedicative Contributor
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I won't get into the discussing generalised notions of religious homophobia as there are too many chicken and egg questions tangled up with all this. Suffice it to say many fundamentalist Christians have zero understanding of the massive distortions and deliberate mistranslations imposed on their so called holy books in the name of persecuting our kind over the centuries. If anyone's interested to follow these ideas in detail a good place to start is John Shelby Spong's "The Sins of Scripture'.
    One aspect of homophobia, as expressed by so called heterosexual males, is the power of misogyny. They find the prospect of something they imagine is a purely passive act as degrading. Why degrading? Because they see such as playing the female role. To them acting out a female's part is to become inferior to being 'fully male', a terifying thought for the poor dears.
    In addition the tribal delusion male homosexuals are useless in warfare goes hand in hand with an ability to ignore the fact many off our species most successful generals were as camp as a row of pink tents and you begin to get a glimpse of the extent of deluded male heterosexual 'thinking' on the tribal level. Make no mistake though, as a species our subconscious drives are as tribal as ever despite being armed to the teeth with those absurdely phallic weapons, nuclear armed ICBM's. Be very afraid.