1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Whole forum is extremely slow after login

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Lieke, Nov 18, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
  1. Lieke

Lieke Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Why is this forum (every page) extremely slow after login?

If I visit it as guest (not logged in) then pages load in 1 second. But after login each page takes around 6 seconds to load.

I've tried different browsers (Chromium and Firefox) on the PC and also my Android smartphone with Firefox shows the same problem.

2. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit
    Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 0 / -10
    Hi Lieke,

Yes, the page loads can be frustratingly slow - nothing they can do about that, I'm afraid. I think the reason for the difference is that when you're logged in, the forum software has a lot more to remember about you: what threads you've visited, where you were on the pages you've been viewing, etc. When you're not logged in, it doesn't have to process any of that stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus I'm just me ^_^
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,122 / 0 / -1
    Exactly, I have the same. Recently I even visited a thread I hadn't been to in 3 weeks and my half written message from 3 weeks ago was still there waiting to be sent...the forum even saves drafts...to be honest it feels a bit pointless but it is what it is.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Lieke

Lieke Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Oh :-(

5. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 0 / -10
    I can't say for sure, but a temporary respite might be achieved by logging out and clearing out all of the LGBTchat cookies from your browser. Can't do any harm, anyway.

6. Lieke

Lieke Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    I tried it with a fresh browser (clear all the history, cookies, cache) and it's still slow after login.

7. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 0 / -10
    Ah well, thanks for trying!

8. MyNameIsLuis

MyNameIsLuis Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    The forum is extremely slow for me as well, which is one of the reasons I haven't been very active.

XenForo can be optimized to cache most resources for guests, which might explain the difference in speed after someone logs in.

The real problem might be that the forum is hosted on GoDaddy (I think). If so, they're not known for providing the best hosting services (quite the opposite actually.)

I've worked on dozens of slow WordPress websites and the majority were hosted on GoDaddy. Even new installations of WP were slow as hell.

If this is a problem for most forum members, a new hosting provider would be adequate. I know migrations can be a PITA, but it would be for the best. :) 

9. Ilomilo
    Zorro

Ilomilo Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2
    Server, location of the server/s, and code. Traffic...and optimization. Information has to be processed when requested, and delivered.

10. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ratings:
    +1,020 / 0 / -14
    Can we face up to the possibility the web is now a digital traffic jam due to the implications of Covid 19? Entire schools learning from home, families communicating via the web, millions now working from home . Even so called broadband isn’t keeping up with the traffic. Welcome to the 21st century.

11. Ilomilo
    Zorro

Ilomilo Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2
    I just woke up, it doesn't really affect communication between an user provider and server. Site was already slow before this situation. I took a quit look at the code, but was too lazy to read whole thing.

12. MyNameIsLuis

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    The forum has been this slow since I signed up (more than a year ago.) There are caching plugins for XenForo 1.x that would improve speed. XF's own caching settings would also help, although I doubt GoDaddy has support for any of the caching systems supported.

I still think that the best solution would be to find a new host (GD is shit). Namecheap's shared hosting is much faster and cheaper (just to name one option.)

13. rado84
    Horny

rado84 pansexual, atheist
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -4
    Since there's already another topic, I'm just gonna add to it. Ever since the mySQL error I had for 4 days recently, this forum became very slow and not just after loggin' in but also before that. Before that error occured it took me 4-5 seconds to load any part of the forum. Now that the error was fixed it takes about 30 seconds, sometimes even longer. I checked with my ISP and rebooted the rooter several times but nothing fixed the problem. My ISP said everything is fine on their side and a simple traceroute shows so. Whatever is going wrong, it's not on my end.

14. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ratings:
    +1,020 / 0 / -14
    The answer to the problem as I understand it is money. That is it would cost $ to move the forum to another server/site/provider. As the vast percentage of posters and lurkers here aren’t contributors there’s not much chance of that happening any time soon.

15. Optimistic Dude
    Artistic

Optimistic Dude A famous Nobody
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -0
    That's right, another host would probably be better, also a server upgrade, and an upgrade to the platform-software for the forum. But yes, all of these costs money, money that, will all this Covid-19, people won't quite have it anymore. Yes, 5-10-20 $ isn't a huge sum of money, normally everyone could do a symapthetic gesture, but many of those who enters here are kids, many are in high schools or colleges, many are left jobless due to Covid-19, many have other major problems, so it's very hard for people to make a strife and donate some money for the site ! I will probably donate again for the site, but think that there are not many who can do it ! And also, because of the subjects this forum have, and because of the world intolerance and toxicity regarding these subjects, many users are afraid or scared to contribuite, because they ar not sure how well protected their personal data will be, should they chose to contribute here.
    It's difficult, for such a forum like this, I don't envy the owner/sys admin, it is not easy for him/her, it is a real hard struggle to keep it open !

16. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ratings:
    +1,020 / 0 / -14
    That’s an important factor I’d never thought of. Many nations,(looking at you China and Russia) search for connections between banking transactions and internet usage.

17. MyNameIsLuis

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I would be happy to help move the forum to a new host (I wouldn't charge for the service.)

I think the forum is hosted on GoDaddy, I don't know which type of plan; but it wouldn't be too difficult to find cheaper and better options.

An upgrade to XenForo 2.2 would certainly help as well, but I think the issue is definitely the server.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    #17 MyNameIsLuis, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  18. rado84
    Horny

rado84 pansexual, atheist
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -4
    That explains the server "speed". I used to have a site hosted on GoDaddy. It was so "fast" that I moved it to a better hosting in the first month and for twice lower price.

19. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ratings:
    +1,020 / 0 / -14
    Somehow I’ve come to accept the slowness of this site but I still find those hetro ‘Twelve women for every man’ advertisements beyond insulting. Nauseating!
    Maybe the server owner finds dumping them here amusing ?
    I wonder if those paying for them realise their money is being wasted on a bunch of fairies and dykes etc?

#19 john1010101, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  20. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer. Aesthete.
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,713 / 2 / -12
    Install an ad blocker. Use a secure browser and definitely stay away from Chrome.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.