1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Whole forum is extremely slow after login

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Lieke, Nov 18, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Lieke

Lieke Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Why is this forum (every page) extremely slow after login?

If I visit it as guest (not logged in) then pages load in 1 second. But after login each page takes around 6 seconds to load.

I've tried different browsers (Chromium and Firefox) on the PC and also my Android smartphone with Firefox shows the same problem.

2. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit
    Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,907 / 0 / -9
    Hi Lieke,

Yes, the page loads can be frustratingly slow - nothing they can do about that, I'm afraid. I think the reason for the difference is that when you're logged in, the forum software has a lot more to remember about you: what threads you've visited, where you were on the pages you've been viewing, etc. When you're not logged in, it doesn't have to process any of that stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,140 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, I have the same. Recently I even visited a thread I hadn't been to in 3 weeks and my half written message from 3 weeks ago was still there waiting to be sent...the forum even saves drafts...to be honest it feels a bit pointless but it is what it is.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Lieke

Lieke Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Oh :-(

5. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit

Ratings:
    +2,907 / 0 / -9
    I can't say for sure, but a temporary respite might be achieved by logging out and clearing out all of the LGBTchat cookies from your browser. Can't do any harm, anyway.

6. Lieke

Lieke Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I tried it with a fresh browser (clear all the history, cookies, cache) and it's still slow after login.

7. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit

Ratings:
    +2,907 / 0 / -9
    Ah well, thanks for trying!

8. MyNameIsLuis

MyNameIsLuis Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    The forum is extremely slow for me as well, which is one of the reasons I haven't been very active.

XenForo can be optimized to cache most resources for guests, which might explain the difference in speed after someone logs in.

The real problem might be that the forum is hosted on GoDaddy (I think). If so, they're not known for providing the best hosting services (quite the opposite actually.)

I've worked on dozens of slow WordPress websites and the majority were hosted on GoDaddy. Even new installations of WP were slow as hell.

If this is a problem for most forum members, a new hosting provider would be adequate. I know migrations can be a PITA, but it would be for the best. :) 

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.