1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

What would you like to see added to the site next?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Dylan, Jun 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 74 users.
  1. Anoi
    Hurting

Anoi Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1
    Pretty hard to be civil when you are making a suggestion on how a forum could possibly be more inclusive of lgbt+ identifying people and someone comes along picking fights with tone policing arguments and unfounded accusations on someones view of straight people because you merely dared mention that cis het people are not lgbt+
    So thanks for your unsolicited and inaccurate attack on my character. Now leave me alone. Thanks.

2. Trionaid
    Buzzed

Trionaid Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -26
    I think irrespective of whatever people's personal views are, this forum has always been, and always should be, an LGBT positive space. It's an LGBT forum, and many of the people who use it are vulnerable and in need of support. Having a tolerant and supportive atmosphere is a prerequesite to that. We don't have to tolerate people telling us that we shouldn't live the way we do, or telling us that we are wrong. We don't have to tolerate intolerance.

So yes, I think that if straight people (cis or trans) want to use this forum, they should be allies to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and asexual community. Similarly cis people on the forum (gay or straight) should be allies to the trans community.

Is that so controversial?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. River W.
    Jammie

River W. "One day, you'll feel okay." -Pete Wentz
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 1 / -1
    This is an old thread I know, but I just wanted to suggest a few. A asexual/aromantic board, and a non-binary board. It seems that these people don't really have a good place to post things related to who they are. So, I suggest we give them their own boards. :) 

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. genderfluidpan
    Alone

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    genderfluid space

5. AliceRhae
    Dreaming

AliceRhae Today, choose joy.
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    Here's an idea that occurred to me after being blessed with the most loving support as a trans girl — a category for Allies. I think it would add an important dimension to our conversations, for both LGBTQ people and those who support them.

#185 AliceRhae, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  6. AudryLeigh
    Worried

AudryLeigh On Leave.
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,822 / 0 / -25
    That's not a bad idea. Problem though I think, is we don't have access to the part of the site software where the forums are set up. I'll ask though. Another good I've seem is a forum for parents.

Regarding asexual/aromantic, non-binary, genderfluid, etc., these are essentially gender categories, and there are simply too many for them all to have a forum of their own. Maybe an "others" forum, but it would just be impractical to have a forum for each of the many gender variants. Allies, and Parents are completely separate from any forums we already, so they make sense. From a practical standpoint however, there are simply too many of them to have one for each.

Hugs,
    Audry

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #186 AudryLeigh, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  7. Yami Bakura
    Kickass

Yami Bakura ♚King of Thieves♚

Ratings:
    +1,947 / 0 / -5
    I like the idea of an Allies category for a forum. I like it.

8. AudryLeigh
    Worried

AudryLeigh On Leave.

Ratings:
    +1,822 / 0 / -25
    We're working on three new forums, one for Parents, one for Allies, and one for the many gender variants that are too many to each have a forum of their own (FaceBook listed 50 gender variants for people to identify with), but I need some help coming up with a name for the "other" gender variants' forum, "Other" just doesn't seem right, but I haven't come up with a better name. I think the name "50 gender categories, give or take" is too long. I don't like it anyway, but it's my only one, other than "other." So, I'm taking suggestions, but with no guarantee that any of the suggestions will be used (gotta have a disclaimer), but I hope one does, cause I got Bupkis. Any help will be appreciated.

Hugs,
    Audry Leigh

9. AudryLeigh
    Worried

AudryLeigh On Leave.

Ratings:
    +1,822 / 0 / -25
    Hey Ned,

The name "Q+" has been suggested, which a couple of the staff (myself included) really like. The idea of prefix labels sounds good on paper, but suffers from the same problem as having all those forums. Setting up prefix labels is also time consuming, and you know no matter how many you set up, somebody is going to get left out, and you can't just add them as needed. To make any changes to the underlying structure of the site requires a complete backup of the site (which involves shutting the site down for a while), implementation of the changes, and testing to make certain that the changes did what they were intended to, and didn't break anything.

This site is already a lot to manage, we have to keep things as simple as possible. If some anonymous benefactor would give us a huge grant, we could afford to hire the programming and administrative power to do a lot of things, but as it is, it's a half dozen volunteers, pouring their hearts and souls into making this site the great place it already is. I think we do an awful lot, given what we have to work with. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll put it in the list.

BTW,is your screen name a reference to the famous Australian outlaw? In my younger years, he was one of my folk heroes.

Hugs,
    Audry Leigh

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Jaspers
    Dr Pepper Addict

Jaspers Pseudocat
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    This very likely isn't anything important exactly but I'd like to see a list of available smilies on the site; I know a few by memory but it'd always be nice to see all the available ones. When I click the smiley icon, a menu box opens but there isn't anything in it.

11. MaybeNik
    Masculine

MaybeNik Queer As Heck.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    A section for non-binary people...
    I know some people said this already, but I'm just saying I agree.
    -Nik

#191 MaybeNik, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  12. AliceR
    No Mood

AliceR Reliable Advisor
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +867 / 0 / -2
    I love that the website is policing content so we can have a safe space without being blasted with sexual advances and inappropriate comments and pictures.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.