1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Freddy_Fritz, Jan 8, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Freddy_Fritz

Freddy_Fritz Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone I'm new to this site and I'm not really here but to ask this question:
    If you were the President of the United states or had very strong representation in the government, what would you do with that power?

I'm really interested in the idea of people trying to achieve equality and how different groups of people would like to achieve that, and would like to someday write a book about it so if anyone could simply answer then I would be so grateful! Thank you!

2. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -7
    Hey Freddy, welcome to the forum.

I can't answer the "US President" question because I'm not from the USA. I just popped in here to say that if you're hoping to get some sort of "representative sample" of the views of the LGBT+ community and then quote that data in your book, please keep in mind that you can't extrapolate what the opinions of a social group or demographic might be simply by obtaining the views of a few respondents on a web forum. This forum, like any other forum, is made up of individuals of every shade of opinion and political leaning.

In other words, LGBT+ people are just that: PEOPLE. Have a nice day. ;) 

#2 Thespis, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. Freddy_Fritz

Freddy_Fritz Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate your response, Thespis. I guess out of my ignorance I thought I could formulate some sort of general answer based on this, but in reality it would take mich more and might not gain any sort of definite answer. Nevertheless I'd still like to hear what everyone has to say, even if you have to change the question to suit your answer! Thanks.

4. Destabilise

Destabilise Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    First of all, I'd push to get rid of religion and churches, or make them pay tax. Fed up of churches not paying tax, yet having a massive influence on government decisions. Then I'd basically stick my middle finger up at democracy and make it illegal to discriminate against people (apart from bronies cause Jesus Christ that makes my skin crawl) in any way shape or form. Guess what; you can now marry whoever you like, wherever you like as long as it isn't incest, beastiality or paedophilic. Congrats.

I'm also going to put in a proper education on different walks of life. The amount of people that form opinions on different peoples walks of life without a proper education on it is just embarrassing.

5. Bornunderabadsign

Bornunderabadsign Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +154 / 0 / -0
    I hope that this isn't your only survey because I don't think your sample size would do the LGBTQ+ community any real justice. If you are really passionate about this sort of thing it would be good for you to pursue education in cultural anthropology, psychology, and sociology. Those would give you a good grounding in the kind of critical thinking skills and background that would give you legitimate authority in this field of inquiry.

Now to answer your question. Like Destabilise above I would like to have a change in policy regarding organized religion. I don't think that churches should automatically receive non profit status and should have to undergo the same process of other 501c3 charities. I would attempt to champion human rights and increase protections and rights of LGBTQ+ citizens. In particular I would make gender identity protection federal law where they can use the restroom and facilities of their chosen gender and simplify the process of being legally recognized as their chosen gender. In response to the illegal immigration issue I would increase the scrutiny of the people here on visas, the majority of illegal immigrants were here legally and overstayed their visas, and would also make becoming a U.S. citizen an easier and more affordable process. Police would be required to take sensitively training and I would try to increase the number of officers that have origins in the neighborhoods they protect. I would limit the clip sizes of firearms and make it federal law that all firearms must be registered and all transfers of ownership documented. I would make it a felony to own any unregistered firearms and make firearm safty training mandatory. Healthcare would be more affordable and I would increase funding for support for disabled and mental health services. I would endeavor to make a living wage federally mandated and control artificial commodity price inflation. Increase the funding for homeless services and substance abuse therapy. I would like to increase the funding of public schools and make public universities and trade schools free for the public. Also I would make foriegn language education and the learning of American Sign Language mandatory. Protections of the environment would also be a big thing for me. I would also seek to privatize NASA with stipulation that public and private universities be allowed to participate but no unpaid interns of the sciences and that they must receive credit on published research results.

I could think of more things but that is all I care to list at this moment. I hope this was helpful.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.