1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

What would have helped you?

Discussion in 'For Parents or Guardians of LGBT+ Children' started by mcf719, Jul 31, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 18 users.
  1. LatinLez69

LatinLez69 Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My mom will never know. She's opposed to the LGBTQ community, calls it "an abomination." Somehow I didn't inherit that and have been a staunch supporter of LGBTQ folks since before I came out thinking I was bi. I never did come out to my mom, and now that I realize I'm fully lesbian I won't come fully out until after mom passes away.

I had been out as bi to Hubs, he was okay with it, and out to our kids once they hit around 13 or 14 years old. I was open with them at that age about likes and dislikes. I remain a huge open supporter of the LGBTQ community, still coo, "Aww, isn't that adorable?" when a gay couple embraces or kisses on television, and I set the stage.

All of that made it super easy for my 16-year-old daughter to come out bi to me. I suspected all along and let her know I accepted her as she was, and that wouldn't be an excuse to not do her chores. Lol. "Look at me. I'm a raging lesbian.... who still washes dishes and vacuums the carpet and takes out the trash."

I told my bi sister- from- another- mister who said, "She is??? Like her Tía! Awwww, I'm a proud Tía (auntie)." This is the only other woman my daughter trusts as much as she trusts me, and she's okay with me telling her. I wouldn't tell anyone else without her permission.

2. Darvil
    Heartbroken

Darvil Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I think everyone is different. Anyway you seem very chill about him being gay. You can't force him to tell you and maybe you don't want to ask him directly.
    What you could do is express how you feel about gay people whenever he's around so he knows that you don't care as long as he's happy!
    My parents are really homophobic and whever we're watching tv and some gay news are on it they say a lot of bullshits. I've to listen their ignorance and that makes me feel bad.
    In the other hand if you express your good feelings about it he will feel better and whever he feels ready he well tell you

3. Sweaters
    Sleepy

Sweaters Illuminati

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Just being supportive and accepting is the biggest one but still looking out for who they bring home!
    My mom now just says I’m bi not gay and fixing me up with guys. I think she’s supportive though? Makes me sad but it definitely could be worse!

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.