1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

What was your experience of growing up LGTB?

Discussion in 'Questioning & General LGBT' started by Alice456, Oct 11, 2017.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Alice456

Alice456 Lurker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I'm Alice and I'm a university student from the UK. I'm currently working on a project looking in to the experiences of LGTB people in different countries around the world, and I'm looking for people who would be happy to share a few words about their own experiences of growing up LGTB.

There are 3 mains questions I'm looking to be answered; which country did you grow up in, what was your experience of living/coming out as an LGTB person in your country, and has your experiences differed in other countries you have lived in?

Any answers I use in the finished project will be by default anonymous, but if you would like me to include your name/username please let me know.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help :) !

2. Finis
    No Mood

Finis Body of Utopia
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Which country did you grow up in? United States

What was your experience of living/coming out as an LGBT person in your country? Upon my coming out, my friends & family never really acknowledged my sexuality as much as I had liked them to ▬ living as a gay man is exceptionally trying, but I think that realistically goes for a decent majority of LGBT — I notice it's been particularly hard to find others whom are like-minded since I'm not your typical, showy gay man. It's still pretty difficult living as an LGBT in the US since I think a lot of today's focus is — I think — mainly on the youth. I suffered a maelstrom of emotional, mental, and physical turbulence which I still have yet to balance out from it's wake. So far, though, I've learned a lot about myself and've come across the most intriguing and ominous situations that've opened my mind. Thanks to the event of coming out as gay in my life, none of that could have been possible.

Has your experiences differed in other countries you have lived in? N/A

3. Alice456

Alice456 Lurker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This is really interesting, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences :) 

4. Finis
    No Mood

Finis Body of Utopia
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Of course! Anytime!

5. Margskye
    Zorro

Margskye Hot Cookie
    Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hi Alice ! That's a nice project :)  How did it come to you ?

I'll answer the questions as well ;) 

Which country did you grow up in ?
    France, borned and raised.

What was your experience of living/coming out as an LGBT person in your country?
    I think it was okay to be honnest. I was born in near Paris but my parents had to move to the less populated part of France when I was 4 and yes backcountry is more racist and homophobic than big cities but I never had any bad experiences. My parents were really open and my friends in high school (when I came out) were like "all right. So ?" but still it was hard being out. I mean not many people come out in high school, at least not in my high school.
    Then I moved in the south in a big city again, went to college, dated girls, discovered myself and became fully me I think. You know our motto in France is "Liberty, equality, fratenity", I think I found it in that city as a student. I thought that everyone was nice, everyone was caring and that nobody cared about anyone's life which I found perfect.

Then became 2012 when the governement decided to vote the right for same sex couples to marry and adopt children (yeah it took us that long). Then I saw the other face of my country. People went into the streets (we do that a lot in France), screaming their hatred towards us, how abnormal we were, some even saying that we should be put down or lock up somewhere and fogotten.
    I mean I'll never understand why some people deeply want to take away some rights to others while it doesn't change anything at all at their lives. I'm sorry if that's not very English :/
    Anyway 2012 and 2013 in France it was all about marriage for same sex couples. I was 20 and I felt really reject for a short time but the "pro" marriage answered those against. They went to the streets as well, in greater numbers than the haters and it felt great :)  I even went to the streets myself.

Just an illustration from one of the answer of those who stood up against the anti marriage (I love that pic it became viral in France). People in white and pink being the anti marriage of course :p 

[​IMG]

Has your experiences differed in other countries you have lived in?
    It differed in Ireland, I lived in Galway a few months and was surprised by the welcome in the pubs and all. They even have little rainbows in their entry saying "everyone's welcome" sort of things :)  and the people were really "I don't care" so that was perfect !
    In Norway I can't tell, I was living in sort of shack at the edge of the world with my best friend so we didn't encounter enough people to actually come out or something nor went to any populated area ;)  and I didn't notice anything special in Olso.

I'm sorry that's a bit long. I don't know if that's the kind testimony you want ?

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.