1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

What does it mean to be romantic?

Discussion in 'General (Off Topic)' started by rado84, Sep 19, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 10 users.
  1. rado84
    Horny

rado84 pansexual, atheist
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -2
    Reading the topic about unromantic qualities made me think about something, namely that I've never known what exactly does it mean to be romantic? What is considered for a person to be romantic?
    I'm quite serious with this question. In the past my female friends have told me I was romantic but I've never considered myself romantic, probably because IDK what that is in the first place. So... How do you determine if someone is romantic?

2. Jayme82
    Loved

Jayme82 The Legend of LGBT
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,427 / 0 / -3
    Well that's different for everyone but I think a candlelight dinner is romantic, being told I'm beautiful by the one I love, opening my car door on a date that's all romantic to me.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Tzap

Tzap Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't say candlelit dinner, compliments, doors etc are romantic at all, I see them as just normal things that should be done/said anytime not just on the likes of date night.

Being honest I wouldn't know romance if it hit me in the face like a wet trout. Walks in the countryside through tree lined walkways during a summers thunderstorm, is probably the most romantic cliche I have indulged in and even that I myself don't see as romance just a walk in British summertime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Optimistic Dude
    Artistic

Optimistic Dude A famous Nobody
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +193 / 0 / -0
    Romanticism is what Jayme said, and also: watching the stars from an ocean beatch with the loved one, with a bottle of wine and two glasses, talking about funny and romantic things, or watching the snowflakes falling down from an Aurora Borealis winter sky, while cuddling on a sofa in front of a chimney, giving her a bouquet of roses to have her in your heart, telling her how beautiful it is...
    All of these is romantic for me ! :D 
    Now, probably I'll be bashed for it, but I assume it: many of us men want to have sexual female bombs, but do we know how to make them happy, other than the sexual things ? :)  Well, romanticism is one of those ways ! :D 

rado84 :) 

5. Jaye
    Meh

Jaye Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Anything that shows or expresses the love that my someone has for me.
    It could be any (small) gesture.
    Writing a sweet note, unexpectedly bringing snacks :D , a hug or massage, saying I love you, noticing (cute) details about you, making you something, taking you somewhere fun.
    There are many many things that could help create a romantic atmosphere though. Even simply when your loved one listens to what you have to say and understands what you're going through, having a long conversation, the ways in which they show they respect you and value you etc.
    At least for me that's the type of things I find romantic when they come from the person I'm in love with or in a relationship with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #5 Jaye, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  6. Jo A
    Innocent

Jo A ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ratings:
    +2,644 / 2 / -1
    I will try and describe it.

When Mary and I first met, we were friends, we would walk, talk, and just be ourselves.

As time marched on, our touches became meaningful, our embraces longer, our glances longer and connecting as we look into each others eyes and seeing each others souls.

Soon she would lean against me and melt into my body, our hearts and breaths as one.

We were in love and romantically connected and I am not talking sex.

Her words told me I was finally loved and a good person, her actions showed me we belong together.

Her father told me he never saw her so happy, as she was with me.

It is a feeling that never leave you.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. a_purple_one
    Magical

a_purple_one Dedicative Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I think maybe that being romantic is being in tune with one's feelings, and your partner's. Being together because you love each other and realize this makes it all the more enjoyable being together.

Y'all described beautiful romantic moments. I think those are definitely the most popular and effective ways of showing love and being romantic. Be them big, planned moments and dinners and nights out, or small details that will make your S.O. smile.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Morfar
    Alienated

Morfar (10+13)/2=11.5%(225)=26amps

Ratings:
    +556 / 1 / -5
    Hugs,,,kisses, sweet nothings whispered

9. the-other-dave

the-other-dave Dedicative Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    well i'm the person who started the "unromantic qualities" thread, so i should probably know the answer.

To me, it means the effort that you go through to make an occasion with a partner special.

for example, i went on a date with a guy to explore some old castle grounds, and i paid for his ticket to enter the castle and tour the inside. that to me was a romantic date. if we had paid seperately for our own individual tickets, it probably still would have been a nice date, but i chose to pay for him because i wanted to do something nice for him, to let him know that i appreciate his company and to make our time together just that extra bit special.

of course, i would do, and have done this sort of thing for platonic friends and relatives as well, for the same sort of reason - paying for both our tickets to a show or event as a token of appreciation. And you could also say that it's like an act of chivalry - a gentlemanly thing to do, which is not necessarilly romantic or intimate.

But to me it was an act of romance. Treating a date to something nice to make them feel appreciated and loved. And i did get a good shag that night so it certainly didn't hurt my chances.

Romance can mean different things to different people. You might see some couples together expressing their passion for eachother and think "Eeww i wouldn't get like that with a partner" but its romantic for them, and you might have completely different ideas of what sort of activities and gestures put you in a romantic mood.

10. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,000 / 0 / -12
    Especially to the scientists who’ve looked closely at our habit of going all weak at the knees and sentimental when with our ‘other half’.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/loves-evolver/201302/the-science-behind-falling-in-love
    Doesn’t make falling in love any less magical though. We just have to realise the seven year itch is normal for our species. Something to do with spreading the genes around? Shouldn’t worry us ?.

11. Morfar
    Alienated

Morfar (10+13)/2=11.5%(225)=26amps

Ratings:
    +556 / 1 / -5
    In a homosexual relationship, two guys,,,or two girls
    Is their usually one that opens the door, etc?

12. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,000 / 0 / -12
    How would you determine who opened the door? The one who ‘didn’t bite the pillow’?
    Anyhow, the door opening protocol is dying in the hetro world anyway.
    Many women I know will snap your head off for assuming they’re too week or frigile to open the door for themselves. Mind you if they have a frock so obscenely long and impractical they may need to be extricated from their fashionable stupidity. On the other hand if you take into account the many absurd designs seen on haute-couture catwalks they’d never be able to fit even into a stretch limosine in the first place.

#12 john1010101, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  13. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer. Aesthete.
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,614 / 2 / -12
    There are romantic actions, there are romantic moods and feelings, but for someone who is a romantic person, it's more than any of those. It's an attribute of their personality. It's a part of them; of who they are.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.