1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Vocational' started by Wilhelmine11, Nov 7, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 25 users.
  1. Starburst
    Creative

Starburst Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    A friend of mine does this as well. She loves it! :)  I find computer science really confusing. Best of luck with your studies!

2. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 Geriatric Hippy
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +298 / 0 / -1
    I’m retired but spend on average two 12 hour shifts a week voluntering on a gay youth suicide help line.
    I worked (not in this order) as a chef, in gov’t security, the diplomatic corps, librarian, a sharebroker, retail gift shop owner & importer, audio (hi-fi in those days) salesman, postal delivery, AIDs Council area supervisor, with a few short term stints as a brothel receptionist, gardener and dog walker and (thankfully very briefly) as a church organist.

3. Kenn Kierza
    Adorable

Kenn Kierza Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

I'm sort of unemployed and self-employed for now. Just graduated from my advanced certificate program in culinary arts, pastry bakery and hospitality management. I somehow can relate into your struggles. There were times during my internship, I felt like I've wasted so much time, money, and effort. I had never really thought that I could work up to 17 hours a day in a 5 star hotel from a multinational company. It somehow kinda drove me crazy few months ago, realizing that this would be my future, however, I stayed being optimist by telling myself that not every hotels or restaurant will treat me this way.

For now, I run a home-based caterings for events (I think my maximum capacity for now is 150 pax per each dishes), and order-and-home-based bakery (I make fancy jiggly cakes such as chiffons, castellas, japanese cheese cakes, and so on). This bakery business is counting on promotions on social medias such as facebook and instagram, so if I don't have an order, I won't make anything either from the catering and the bakery.

Been applying to so many places, but none have given answers yet..
    It kinda makes me miss childhood..

4. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 Geriatric Hippy
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +298 / 0 / -1
    I’m an ex chef who can see an opportunity. If you can somehow organise delivery and gain access to a health dept approved kitchen now is the time to start an up market (or down market?) delivery of food . As there will be few large scale funtions involving crowding though this may involve delivery to individual homes or workplaces. With your skills I’d be concentrating on deserts, pastries and cakes. A market such as this is NOT going to be satisfied by Coles, Woolworths and Aldi etc. So, either hunt for a company already operating this way or get your rich Uncle or whoever you might back you to finance you as a start up. The main diffuclty I see in your particular situation is customers will ofen require mains as well as deserts so maybe contact others you’ve worked with and suggest they join you. Good luck.
    Good luck.

5. raditaweiner

raditaweiner Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    hey Ken,
    I know and have been in your position, I want you to know right now you can't give up anything. You have a talent. You graduated from culinary. Not everyone has that skill. I suggest you open your own business, I know for sure you need money here for your capital. but open the small one and start selling to your closest friends. never give up because you have been blessed with that skill, if you ask me? I can't cook or make cakes or cookies as beautiful as you. Fighting and Goodluck Ken

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.