1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Vocational' started by Wilhelmine11, Nov 7, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 35 users.
  1. Starburst
    Creative

Starburst Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    A friend of mine does this as well. She loves it! :)  I find computer science really confusing. Best of luck with your studies!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -5
    I’m retired but spend on average two 12 hour shifts a week voluntering on a gay youth suicide help line.
    I worked (not in this order) as a chef, in gov’t security, the diplomatic corps, librarian, a sharebroker, retail gift shop owner & importer, audio (hi-fi in those days) salesman, postal delivery, AIDs Council area supervisor, with a few short term stints as a brothel receptionist, gardener and dog walker and (thankfully very briefly) as a church organist.

3. Kenn Kierza
    Adorable

Kenn Kierza Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

I'm sort of unemployed and self-employed for now. Just graduated from my advanced certificate program in culinary arts, pastry bakery and hospitality management. I somehow can relate into your struggles. There were times during my internship, I felt like I've wasted so much time, money, and effort. I had never really thought that I could work up to 17 hours a day in a 5 star hotel from a multinational company. It somehow kinda drove me crazy few months ago, realizing that this would be my future, however, I stayed being optimist by telling myself that not every hotels or restaurant will treat me this way.

For now, I run a home-based caterings for events (I think my maximum capacity for now is 150 pax per each dishes), and order-and-home-based bakery (I make fancy jiggly cakes such as chiffons, castellas, japanese cheese cakes, and so on). This bakery business is counting on promotions on social medias such as facebook and instagram, so if I don't have an order, I won't make anything either from the catering and the bakery.

Been applying to so many places, but none have given answers yet..
    It kinda makes me miss childhood..

4. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -5
    I’m an ex chef who can see an opportunity. If you can somehow organise delivery and gain access to a health dept approved kitchen now is the time to start an up market (or down market?) delivery of food . As there will be few large scale funtions involving crowding though this may involve delivery to individual homes or workplaces. With your skills I’d be concentrating on deserts, pastries and cakes. A market such as this is NOT going to be satisfied by Coles, Woolworths and Aldi etc. So, either hunt for a company already operating this way or get your rich Uncle or whoever you might back you to finance you as a start up. The main diffuclty I see in your particular situation is customers will ofen require mains as well as deserts so maybe contact others you’ve worked with and suggest they join you. Good luck.
    Good luck.

5. raditaweiner

raditaweiner Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    hey Ken,
    I know and have been in your position, I want you to know right now you can't give up anything. You have a talent. You graduated from culinary. Not everyone has that skill. I suggest you open your own business, I know for sure you need money here for your capital. but open the small one and start selling to your closest friends. never give up because you have been blessed with that skill, if you ask me? I can't cook or make cakes or cookies as beautiful as you. Fighting and Goodluck Ken

6. IsolatedAnomaly

IsolatedAnomaly Curious Explorer
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I work 2 jobs and waiting to start school for computer science/cyber security. My first job is a budtender for a dispensary. And my 2nd is part-time for DSW (Designer Brands). I try to keep busy. and now one job due to covid closing the malls I lost my part timer job.

#46 IsolatedAnomaly, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  7. Jaycee
    Batty

Jaycee Dedicative Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 1 / -0
    I’m retired. I used to teach music privately. Organ/piano/keyboard

8. Paintbabe

Paintbabe Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I feel all of this. I'm about to turn 20 and I know everyone is going to tell me I i have time but it just doesn't feel like enough time. I had planned to go to school after graduating highschool to become a mortician but don't have the money or resources. Right now I work in the kitchen at a nursing home. It's a rewarding job but not where i thought i would be

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

9. OhLookItsColby
    Crappy

OhLookItsColby Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I work for a local grocery chain where I live, but currently laid off as they have reduced there employees during the current pandemic.

10. Obaid90
    Arthritic

Obaid90 Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I felt school trapped us all in telling us it's simple to decide on a career. I remember in year 10, we got given this book (it was the size of a phone book) which listed almost every possible job available along with the education requirements for it. We were basically told to pick 3 careers from it & for that term we had to research them, by the end of the term we had to pick one of them & choose the subjects for the last two years of school based off of that career.
    Don't know when that was such a great idea cos we were 14-15yrs old & I'm pretty sure not many really know what they want to do as a long term career at that age.

I wanted to go into the army (though job wise I had no idea), so I focused on just graduating as I only needed a pass in year 10 to get in, however about 6 months before I graduated I started the process to get into the army & failed on medical (classed as permanently unfit for all service) which left me a bit lost as I never did the subjects to give me a score to get into uni, I was pretty terrible at maths, which is kinda required for a lot of trades.

I spent 8 years as a geological assistant, before quitting & going to uni where I struggled & ended up dropping out, eventually I was diagnosed as having ADHD (inattentive), spent 2yrs looking for work before ended up where I am working in logistics. I did 2yrs doing replenishment, & last month changed roles to forklift driving; I'm also in the process of joining the army reserves. I'm back as well at uni studying to become a psychologist....also I'm now 30, so yeah career picking is hard, especially for those of us with learning disabilities, as often our interests in things shift as we learn more, or they're equally distributed so it's hard to pick.
    The only thing I remember from the class in year 10, which makes it obvious as to how pointless picking a career at that age was, is the fact that 64% (well at the time) of the Australians hated their careers & that over 70% of the population changed careers at least 3 times by retirement age.
    My best friend has been in the same boat as me, she worked in admin for about 3-4yrs before working as a landscaper/brickie, a few months ago she started working back in an admin job with the gov but is also at uni to become a psychologist. However initially she was at uni studying german to become a qualified interpreter & teacher.

Regarding the trade roles, I'd say go for it, especially if you have ADD as well, hands on jobs are the best things & trades are always needed. If you find it hard to get an apprenticeship or into trade school, I'd say look at joining the army or army reserves, as in many countries the training is fast tracked & obviously you're not paying for it.

Good luck though in finding your place & ideal career, & definitely don't let anyone tell you you're too old to start a new career.

11. Jenayo
    Educated

Jenayo Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    What about welding? That always seemed cool to me.

As for me, I'm managing editor at an educational publishing house.

12. Thief King Bakura
    Badass

Thief King Bakura Edgy✰Prince✰ofDarkness
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +4,971 / 0 / -6
    Right now, I am just going to school. I changed my major this fall from liberal arts to a more graphic design focused degree. So hopefully I will be working toward a career in graphic design.

13. Iharos
    Bookworm

Iharos Dedicative Contributor
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I'm a musician. I sing concerts of medieval, renaissance and sometimes baroque music. And I am teaching in a music school - voice and piano.

14. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -5
    As Lady Bracknell warned us “Nowadays that’s no guarantee of respectability"

15. mjay

mjay Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -2
    I rotated jobs in food and beverage service industry when i was a lot younger after graduating highschool. I think i enjoyed that since i lasted for more than 5 years. Im now a medical microbiologist after finishing uni and postgrads. Idk, im still wondering as to why and how i ended up as such. I still miss the physical aspect of my former job. It's tiring but the sleep i get after it was quite a reward. The pay on my current job is way much better, but i miss the physical demands which i dont get nowadays.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Tapatalk

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.