1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Vocational' started by Wilhelmine11, Nov 7, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 23 users.
  1. Ashley22

Ashley22 Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    Ty . Honestly, because I'm hypersensitive I tend to get frustrated easily but I tell myself to calm down and that it really isn't a big deal etc and usually move past it. I consider the frustration toxic behavior because it doesn't help anyone in my opinion. We can all speak and act like adults so I try to set an example in my IRL interactions.

(Heh, this has gotten quite off topic)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. BiBiLife
    Loved

BiBiLife Forever in debt to your priceless advice.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,801 / 3 / -5
    *Steers back on topic*
    I'm a full-time business student and I also volunteer as a peer tutor.

3. DarkBanana

DarkBanana Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I am cook in seasonal hotel. Basically it means that I work 6 months (summer season) 12 hours per day with no day offs, and in winter I am doing nothing. But because I cant just do not work even If I have enough money I still have work for like 2 or 3 days in week.
    It sounds terribly but hey is realy awesome. Yes, you work all 6 months but then you have another 6 months for relaxing, your friends, hobbies, traveling...You can do whatever you want whenever you want.

But I did not have "real summer" (pool, BBQs, vacation by the sea) for 4 years now...Its the only disadvantages for me.

4. JenniferF

JenniferF Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Coming from a family dealing with the law,I am a defense lawyer.I represent the thugs worse than hell,people that are actually innocent and minor crimes including drugs charges

5. CrinklyConnor

CrinklyConnor Non-Binary Toddler

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I currently work at, and actually am finishing my last 2 days of work, at a hotel as a night auditor (basically a night manager). I work by myself here at night.

I plan to try and get a similar job up where I’m moving to as it helps me with keeping on track with my online college studies, but also maintain a sense of financial income.

I have an eccentric job history so far, having worked in retail, hospitality, behavioral support for disabled adults, and teaching assistive technology for blind middle school and high school aged students. I’m 23, almost 24 (next month!) so you could say I’ve jumped around a bit.

I do try to stay committed to a job as much as I possibly can.

I’ve also worked at a call center, but that job was THE WORST. I will never work at a call center again, as that was just the worst experience ever.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. RileyIsHere
    Loved

RileyIsHere Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I'm a Gardener, fell into never thought I would enjoy it and never crossed my mind.

I had so many jobs, office work (almost became a company director in my mid 20s but it liquidated) GYM instructor. worked for Mc D for several years and in a coffee shop....... now Im a Gardener and I really enjoy it. But if I move out my parents place in London, I have to move location and grab another new job. But doing all these jobs and the one im doing now, made it clear what type of work I can do and happy with.

7. Bakabakabaka

Bakabakabaka Bonefide pizza connoisseur
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -3
    I am a civil servant in admin but i have been a factory worker (don't do it for any reason) a warehouse dude ... a finance trainee .. admin at a school .. and a student i guess. Oh and a volunteer for the british heart foundation.

8. JingleBells

JingleBells jιngle
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 0 / -1
    You remind me of thespis

9. Mariefloeh

Mariefloeh Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hi there, I hope you are doing fine!
    I'm a social worker with people who struggle with mental disorders. I always knew that I wanted to help people feel better.
    I just wanted to tell you that you shouldn't feel like you are running out of time. My husband struggle a lot with finding a job he really likes, and he finally found it at 31 years old. :) 

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. Kricket
    Lurking

Kricket Greenhorn
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I have worked (and still do) at a call centre for over 13 years now. It's a LOT more stressful than most people think! I take escalated calls for a certain client (aka when someone demands to speak to a supervisor, those calls come to me) so my job mainly consists of being yelled at and cussed out by angry customers for things that I did not do and have absolutely no control over. It's brought me to my breaking point more than once, and if I had any other job prospects, I'd be out of there in a heartbeat...

11. 4G63

4G63 Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    The boring retail management :/ eventually will resume school for music :) . Until then I must pay bills

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,073 / 0 / -0
    Considering he's the reason I signed up here to begin with that's high praise indeed. I'm nowhere near as well spoken as he is, though :) 

13. JingleBells

JingleBells jιngle
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 0 / -1
    #33 JingleBells, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  14. i3allic

i3allic Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hey,
    I’ve recently gone self employed running my own online businesses.
    It works because my health is pretty rubbish all the time.

15. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,073 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear about your health.

16. Ilomilo
    Zorro

Ilomilo Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1
    CNC machinist ^^

17. StevenPatrickWho
    Sick

StevenPatrickWho Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I work in career services for a University located in Pennsylvania. My job is to help our students make connections between their chosen majors and career opportunities, provide opportunities for professional development in skill areas deemed important by employers, and be a general resource on the local workforce. Belonging to a smaller campus, I also have some responsibilities to advising in the academic side of the house.

18. Laura Michelle

Laura Michelle Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Semi truck and heavy equipment mechanic for a construction company.I fix and maintain their fleet of semi trucks and heavy equipment

19. Starburst
    Creative

Starburst Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I write books as in when I can but my main career is as an optical technician. I make glasses for people, or to be more specific I make and cut the lenses so they have the right prescription and fit for the frame and patient.

20. Rachelle0101
    Lonely

Rachelle0101 Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I am a student. Computer science. :) 

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.