1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Vocational' started by Wilhelmine11, Nov 7, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 8 users.
  1. Wilhelmine11

Wilhelmine11 Pronounced Wil-ah-meena :)
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    How come no one told me it would be so difficult to decide on a career!!?

Are there any women in trades here?

I'm 27 years old and recently quit my job as a bartender. It was one of those jobs that was supposed to be temporary but I ended up working there for 2.5 years. It was really nice making more than enough money to be comfortable working 25 hours a week lol. But I'm looking for something a little more "adultier" I can't help feel like I'm running out of time to figure out what I want to do with my life.

I have experience in administration and construction/general contracting. Desk jobs really aren't my thing as my ADD gets the best of me so I'm leaning more towards getting in a trade.

So what do you guys do? Any advice or ideas are welcome :) 

Thanks!

2. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,120 / 0 / -1
    I've bounced around jobs so much. I'm currently between jobs. So I'm currently that big ugly word called unemployed, lol.

I'm not sure what I'll eventually settle into. My mental illness makes things a drag.

Hopefully, I'll find something soon.

3. Wilhelmine11

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Dude, same! Unemployed. I quit my job because my hot headed, power tripping manager was so mad because I was 4 minutes late that he got aggressive and broke a plant while screaming at me in front of all my co workers. So I walked out and had nothing else lined up.

I was just offered a job in office administration in a small city 2 hours away. I mulled it over (by that I mean my anxiety took over and the pressure was too much for me. I cried myself to sleep and threw up multiple times) for 2 days but came to the conclusion that I psychically could not uproot my life (and my gf's life) and move for a job I don't even really want. Even if the pay was good. Ugh.

I hope you find something soon! In the mean time feel comfort in the fact that you're definitely not alone :) 

4. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +679 / 0 / -0
    I know that feeling but you are definitely not running out of time. I was a computer programmer because it was the late 90's and everybody needed to go into computers. I did it for 10 years and since it's the kind of career where you always need to keep studying I ended up with over 20 diplomas (some harder to get than others). i never really liked my career but the more time and money I invested into more and more courses the harder it became to stop.

Then one day I just thought "to hell with this" and went back to school. Been a physiotherapist for 8 years now and I'm currently working as a masseur at a luxury spa. Then life took another turn and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia which means I'm in pain all the time so this sort of job is horrible for my health. Will I study something else and change career again? Who knows?

In between those 2 careers I worked retail and shipping, took a teaching course and did that for a while, got offered a job as a security guard to a museum and lots of other things.

So yeah, you're definitely not running out of time.

5. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,120 / 0 / -1
    Is your real name Larry Daley?

6. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +679 / 0 / -0
    I'm not at liberty to divulge that information.

7. Wilhelmine11

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! That makes me feel better. I feel like l have a lot of pressure from my family which stresses me out. Sorry to hear about your fibromyalgia. I hope you find something that you can enjoy again :) 

8. Ashley22

Ashley22 Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I completely get the ADD! I keep getting told to apply for a government job but I can't sit around all day in the same space.

I currently work for a Telecommunications company and I get to drive.... A very decent amount, we cover quite a large area, maybe 3 hours drive from one end to the other. Winters are a little crappy around here but it's alright. It's tricky to identify as Trans here because I do house installs for internet, phone, tv etc. And I see 3-4 places a day. So that's something I'll have to figure out.

Otherwise, I'm applying for a medical engineering position at a hospital. Fixing all various electronics in use at a hospital. I'm really hoping for this one, I never get bored soldering, tinkering and fixing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  9. Wilhelmine11

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    That's so funny you mentioned being told to apply for a government job. That's what my family keeps insisting I do! They keep telling me "You'll be set for life...." blah blah blah.. but I actually just recently turned down an administrative position (much to their disappointment) at an engineering firm for a nuclear power plant. I would have had to move to a small town and dress fancy in a stuffy office and I decided that really wasn't for me. Been there done that. I'd much rather get my hands a little dirty and be active. Hence considering a trade.

Good luck with your application! I hope you get it, sounds like a great opportunity :) 

10. Tramp85

Tramp85 Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Drive a truck

11. IridescentBlack
    Musical

IridescentBlack Call me whatever you like; I am who I must be
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 1 / -0
    At the moment, I'm a full-time music student studying composition.

12. Kahlan

Kahlan Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -1
    I think most of humanity suffers from some level of ADD. I think it's in the human DNA to make sure that we don't all become billionaires. So that's my theory at least.

I'm a part time research assistant at a library. Been doing it for 3 years now. It's both fun and boring, and somewhat rewarding. I get to work with and help all types, from HS and University students, to law firms, to politicians, and just your average Joe off the street. It's useful that I am also a student, and a bit of a research junkie. I've been loathe to call myself this in the past, but I suppose I'm a professional researcher on various topics from rather important to inconsequential.

13. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 0 / -3
    I work part-time in marketing and sales.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.