1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Lesbian Weird Experience at Gay Christian Group

Discussion in 'Questioning & General LGBT' started by Butterfly88, Sep 11, 2019 at 2:15 PM.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 0 / -3
    I went to a group for gay Christians that I thought was LGBT-affirming. Some people there were happily in same-sex relationships but others were saying they are side B Christians. For those of you who don't know, a side B Christian is basically a gay Christian who believes same-sex sex doesn't glorify God. Some live lives of celibacy and some have same-sex partners just don't have sex with them. Anyway, there was a discussion of Leviticus and some people said some things that were pretty homophobic. This one guy pretty much laughed at my interpretation of Leviticus. The people there were all like, oh we must all get along regardless of what we think about being actively gay because the Bible tells us not to judge people. I was there thinking to myself, if the Bible tells us not to judge people why are they judging gay people as being sinners? The whole thing was a very strange experience. I obviously won't be going back. I honestly feel bad for some of these people, denying being their true selves. I wish there was an LGBT-affirming group. I found an LGBT-affirming church in my area but they appear to have a whole band at Sunday services and I'm autistic so I don't think I'd be able to handle all the noise. I've tried earplugs but they are uncomfortable plus if I was wearing them I likely wouldn't be able to hear the sermon. I've tried to be religious at home without a church or group but most articles I read end up being written for a very conservative audience and I am liberal. Sometimes I wish I was an atheist because I feel it would be easier but that's just not who I am. I'm so sick of homophobia in the church. I need to find some other way to fill my spiritual needs I guess but I'm not sure how.

2. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit
    Former Staff Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    #2 Thespis, Sep 11, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 3:19 PM
  3. Butterfly88
    Playful

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 0 / -3
    I went to one once but it wasn't for me. They were accepting but I just didn't feel like I fit in there. Maybe I should see if there is another one around, there could be differences among each place of worship I suppose. Thank you for trying to help.

4. Carlita
    Creative

Carlita If you say it, they will come.
    Beloved Member

Original Star Trek USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
    Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -4
    Yeah. It depends on what you're comfortable with. I'm U.Unitarian myself and was a bit uncomfortable (and still am to a bit) because when I was catholic four years as an adult, coming from there to a UU environment is a culture shock. That, and they don't have strict christian views.

There are many churches some more christian than others. The biggest difference is, our church history and practice disagrees with the trinity (protest against the protestant churches) and we don't believe in eternal consequence for sin. Many of us (I'm not christian but I do believe in blessings) that we are ALL born blessed. So, we come to the congregation to service as a blessed family rather than saved sinners.

So, it depends on what you're looking for. Episcopalian churches are starting to be LGBTQ friendly. They have gay marriages now. I was told they were a bit more relaxed than the catholics. I didn't know that, actually.

Here are some links that may help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_affirming_LGBT

https://www.ucc.org/lgbt

https://www.episcopalchurch.org/lgbtq-church

Hope this helps.

#4 Carlita, Sep 11, 2019 at 4:11 PM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 4:16 PM
  5. Butterfly88
    Playful

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 0 / -3
    Thank you!

6. Thief King Bakura
    Balanced

Thief King Bakura The THief king is back....To raise some hell!

Ratings:
    +3,992 / 0 / -7
    Kinda hypocritical this group, aye? Supposed to be LGBt+ friendly, yet talking shit about LGBT+ people. Doesn't sound very affirming or friendly to me. It's a shame too. I too would like to go to church but am afraid that I wouldn't be accepted there. Course people don't have to know and I do "pass" as a guy which even I can't believe. But anyways I digress... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do hope you find an LGBT friendly church. There's a few in my city I may check out one of these days. Basically i want to have something to do where I'm around people who are open minded and faith based but not like hardcore nuts. I am not very religious at all, I believe in Jesus and stuff but have a hard time reading the Bible and it's old, hard to read language. That's just me tho. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry the group was full of homophobic asses. Why is it even called a phobia? It's more like ignorance or assholish behavior to me.

7. Butterfly88
    Playful

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 0 / -3
    Thief King Bakura
    They didn't actually use the word affirming, they just said it was a group for LGBT Christians. I guess that should have been a red flag. But the website did say they believe everyone is a child of God so that made it seem affirming. Now I know for future reference to only go to churches that are listed as LGBT-affirming. I hope you are also able to find a church too, seems like you want one. I agree the word homophobia is weird, homo-ignorant would be a better term.

8. ZagreusD
    Zorro

ZagreusD Who knows, really?

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I go to a church where my pastor is gay... and I live in Indiana. I have to believe if I found one in Indiana their must be more of them out there. Darren is amazing. I'm a little bit in love with him. He's married. Here is a link to the podcast of a Sunday Morning service.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8Pk4s-XxH1I7f83hYLRNPihRfkCf3EI/view?usp=drivesdk

The actual sermon starts at around the 31 minute mark if you want to skip all the intro stuff.

9. Butterfly88
    Playful

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 0 / -3
    ZagreusD That's awesome! You're right, there is bound to be more out there. Thank you for sharing the sermon, I look forward to listening to it later when I have more time.

10. ZagreusD
    Zorro

ZagreusD Who knows, really?

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Feel free to hit me up in a private message to let me know what you think. I've felt deeply blessed to have this man and this church family in my life. Every Sunday feels like coming home for me.

11. angel70
    Supportive

angel70 The Old Guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5,065 / 1 / -36
  12. Butterfly88
    Playful

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 0 / -3

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.