1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Websites you've Fallen out with

Discussion in 'General (Off Topic)' started by the-other-dave, Nov 23, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 11 users.
  1. the-other-dave

the-other-dave Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Are there any websites or social media that you used to enjoy using regularly, but then had to walk away from for dubious reasons?

One for me was deviant art. When I first discovered the site I loved it, it had some powerful tools and was very easy to use compared to other art websites I had previously tried, and had a pretty friendly community, and it allowed me to find other people with similar interests to me.

But in recent years it became a cess pit. The forums were full of horrible people, and homophobic comments became rampant. It was impossible to disagree with anyone without it turning into a slanging match.

And besides all that, I no longer enjoyed using the site, even to look at other artists' work. I would fave an image with the intention of looking at it later in more detail, but I never got round to admiring any of the work I had faved, because there was constantly new artwork being uploaded so frequently. Online art galleries just don't work, because as an online user, I think your brain wants to be given new information all the time, so you just don't allow yourself to go back and look at a piece of work you've saved for later.

And most importantly, I lost my desire to create any new artwork. I lost the will to begin new projects and improve my skill. The images I uploaded got very little attention, so I felt like my work was crap. Which is the last thing you want to feel when you join a creative community. My life has been much better without that site.

2. Simple_Man
    Zorro

Simple_Man Just a regular guy
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -1
    Ive never had any problems with any specific websites. But i have had run ins with bad moderators on reddit. Usually them making a blanket statement that isnt true. And ive found if i call it out the dont respond at all they just ban you and delete your comment so they are right. I got a moderator kicked from that position from the abuse of power. But rarely does reddit care about there awful moderators.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #2 Simple_Man, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  3. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3,270 / 0 / -4
    I tend to have drifted away from Twitter for personal use. I used to be into animal rights and looked up some stuff related to that only to find a bunch of really graphic photos of severely abused animals that I really wish I didn't have to see. Then I used to tweet random things but none of my friends or family use it and I didn't get much interaction from anyone else. I do have a Twitter for my business though because I feel like I should have a social media presence even though it's not my preferred platform.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. the-other-dave

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Twitter only seems to be useful if you have a business to promote, or if you are a celebrity who wants to post a load of political rants.

5. x-amountofgay
    Depressed

x-amountofgay Gaymer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +589 / 0 / -0
    I used to use the app Vent a lot, but I don't really now. I honestly forget I even have it on my phone, but there really wasn't any particular reason I stopped using it. I guess I just outgrew it. Every few months I check it but never really post much or do anything with it.

I also agree about Twitter. When I was in middle school, Twitter was one of THE top social media platforms to have. All the cool kids had one, at least where I went to school. I still have a Twitter account and from time to time I scroll through and retweet some stuff, but I don't make an effort to check my notifications every time I get one or make any of my own posts.

6. Tears
    Dead

Tears TEAred of life...
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    VK, it's just russian answer for facebook. Joined when one friend told me he has no facebook :D  It was pretty cool alternative to facebook concntrated much more on making your profile a personal visit card...
    VK got much less strict rules - which was both good and bad for some; and didn't felt like it was following you whole the time - as facebook does...
    Unfortunately they fall deep down since years and i had to give up anyway when they decided, they can't confirm trough any available method that I'm the owner of my profile... So they granted me no more access to my profile, moreover i haven't even found any working way to remove it from there...

Couchsurfing, they also were falling deep down since changes in management/ownership + society anywhere I tried to start interaction was extremely pitty so I almost haven't logged in since over a year. Than they decided to charge monthly or yearly fee for access, so this was for me like no choice: I had to void my account there. Although I know friend who is satisfied with their offer even after introducing the fee.

+ as above writen about moderators, I also have had in multiple forums very unpleasant experiences about their work. They weren't mostly objective and often played not fair. Or ignored their so-called duties. So mostly i quited rapidly myself... Until I haven't found this site. It feels like paradise!

#6 Tears, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  7. Thief King Bakura
    Anime Lover

Thief King Bakura I'm CROSSING THE LINE
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5,234 / 0 / -6
    Hmm...*thinking emoji* Yes, I've had plenty of websites/apps that I've fallen out of. They are in no particular order...

1. theOtaku.com (still checking in once in awhile and submit art there sometimes. that's really about it. )

2. The Amino Apps (yes I am on the app nowadays a lot, mostly a few select communities for roleplaying stories and such. And in the past I've deleted the app because of a bad leader (moderator) betrayed me. I thought I could trust them and they threw me to the wolves. I deleted that because that app at the time because associated with that evil and I wanted to get far away from it at that time. To this day I am not apart of that community within the app where that evil leader(s) reside. People can be so fucking cruel sometimes on the internet and that was one of my experiences. It caused my already bad mental health at the time to get worse.)

3. Facebook (had made at least 3 to 4 Facebook accounts to TRY to reconnect with my mother when she was alive. All have which eventually ended with me deleting my account each time to save my own mental health. Also in my opinion, Facebook sucks. MySpace was better back in the day. )

4. DeviantArt (While I still do check in on the website. Since the new wretched Eclipse update became mandatory this past summer/last year, I have found myself enjoying DA less and less and I don't have as much fun sharing my work on there as I did before. I have kept my account on there because I hAVE a few friends that I still want to keep up with and see their work, but that's honestly about it. Maybe download a cool art to use as a desktop or mobile wallpaper, but that's about it to be honest. )

5. Twitter (I have had a few Twitter accounts, mostly experimenting with the social media app and website. I can honestly say that with each time I used it. It started out kind of fun at first, especially when I ran my "resister" accounts and was trashing the GOP and Trump. However, keeping up with all of that garbage became draining. Since typing this, I have deleted said political accounts and said tweets because they were stupid and petty and that isn't the kind of person I want to be. )

Those are the major ones I can think of off the top of my head. Thank you for opening up this discussion.

#7 Thief King Bakura, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  8. webbs

webbs Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I rarely use Facebook. It's probably not the website itself and is more so that I feel obligated to have family and old classmates on it.

I used to love vampire freaks and still would if it wasn't for the fact that I'd made friends with an admin (in real life) and she was very cruel. Just to everyone. Would make fun of the people in front of us, wouldn't talk to uber drivers and would get mad at me for talking to them (I'm saying that she wouldn't even answer with "hi" or "good, how are you?" - she'd make a face, purse her lips, and look out the window), yelled at me for asking "what?" once because we were in the middle of a busy store, and just really really struggled with anger overall. I think she maybe had anxiety that wasn't treated and it manifested as irritability, so I don't blame her, I'm just scared to rejoin (as much as I'd like to) because I know she's probably still there.

9. Simple_Man
    Zorro

Simple_Man Just a regular guy
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -1
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but vampire freaks shut down. At least the message board part.

10. Whynot
    Cool

Whynot Well-Known Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +445 / 0 / -10
    Twitter, it is a dumpster fire of hate and stupidity. The world would be a better place without twitter

11. the-other-dave

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Empty Closets is another site I had to walk away from. I joined it for similar reasons I joined this site - to discuss lgbt issues and some emotional struggles I was having, and for a few years it was quite a good place to go for some support and to get things off my chest.

But things went downhill. They promoted someone to an admin, who was an utterly mean spirited person, very arrogant. He would boast about all his past experiences as some kind of counsellor (which he likely made up any way) and would criticize people if they did not follow his advice. His posts were very condescending, and if he disagreed with you, he would quote one sentence that you wrote and reply with an entire page of text about why he thought you were wrong, and most of the time he took things out of context and blew them out of proportion.

And the fact that none of the other site admins would step in to ease the debates and arguments like they used to told me that they had basically given up on the site and left it in the hands of incompetent and incapable replacements. It went from being a place of support and comfort, to a place of frustration where I would log in thinking "who's attacking me this time?".

12. yeetbender

yeetbender Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  13. Tragic

Tragic Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    I remember getting addicted to one gaming forum. Had to leave it. :( 

14. rado84
    Horny

rado84 pansexual, atheist
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -4

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.