1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Transsexual forum

Discussion in 'Feedback, Suggestions, & Bugs' started by Clara_daffodil, Aug 2, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Clara_daffodil
    Talkative

Clara_daffodil Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I feel that having a transsexual forum seperate from transgender has some very nasty potential. These distinctions serve to invalidate members of the community and divide us. If people wish to discuss HRT and other forms of medical transition it could be done in the transgender forum. As a compromise, the transsexual forum could be renamed as an HRT & transition forum. This could help avoid causing division in the community or making people feel unwelcome.

2. Tights_and_Skirts

Tights_and_Skirts Reliable Contributor
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -2
    Already discussed. There’s s a thread from a couple of weeks ago if you’d like to read that.
    Ginny xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. AudryLeigh
    Curious

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,343 / 0 / -28
    Transsexual, unlike many other categories, is not included under the "transgender umbrella." Transsexual is profoundly different from any flavor of transgender, and maybe one of those things you cannot understand if you are not a true transsexual yourself. Since we are vastly outnumbered, and since no other category fits us, the only ones who stand to be invalidated are transsexuals -- by NOT having a [separate] transsexual forum. Y'all have been sweeping us under the rug by trying to claim that we fit into some other category, we do not. We are NOT transgender people who are on HRT. Our gender is not part of the picture! We know damned good and well what our gender is -- it is fixed from birth, and it does not "trans" from anywhere to anywhere else. For us the issue is exclusively and entirely sex. You could say we have a birth defect -- our bodies are defective because they are the wrong sex. Furthermore, HRT has nothing to do with gender, Hormones CHANGE the physical SEX of the human body from one to the other (with SEX there are only two).

As I have said before, this feels like some stupid and inappropriate territory war. We don't want your territory -- it's not ours, it doesn't suit us, and we don't want it. How dense do you have to be to be incapable of understanding that the ONLY thing we have in common with transgender people is a prefix, and prefixes do NOT change the meaning of the root word. Transgender and transsexual are as different as their root words, GENDER and SEX. Are you going to argue that sex is really just a category of gender and doesn't stand on it's own?

Our issues are different than yours, our dysphoria is different from yours, and our medical needs are different than yours. WE ARE DIFFERENT, nothing more, nothing less. There is no better or worse -- different, get it? DIFFERENT! And there is no more or less "trans." Trans is a PREFIX! Without a root word it has no meaning, and you cannot say that sex is more or less than gender. That would be like saying that an apple is more or less of a fruit than a grape. Forget the "trans" part. Either frame your arguments in terms of sex and gender or stop whining about it.

WE, the transsexuals are the ones getting short-changed, and you are trying to do it with meaningless and nonsensical arguments. Stop being vague and obtuse and give me substantive arguments, and stop accusing us of trying to create division where there should be unity. It makes much more sense to say that lesbians don't deserve their own forum because they are really just gay girls and so should really be included in the gay forum, than it does to say that transsexuals don't deserve their own forum because they are... they are what? You will never hear me or anyone else accuse lesbians of creating division where there should be unity, despite the fact that lesbians ARE [just] gay girls, yet they are fully accepted as separate and apart from gay men. Transsexuals are NOT just something else under a different name, and claiming that we are is spreading false and misleading information, something which is technically no longer tolerated here -- something which if you persist at it can get you banned. Get your facts straight, or shut the **** up (or get banned). And don't give me this crap about outdated terminology. Accurate terminology is just that, and no amount of time makes it invalid.

Do I sound like I'm getting angry? I am -- I am sick and tired of people who have no idea what they are talking about telling me that I don't know who I am -- that I'm really just [part of] something else, and that I'm being elitist by standing up for who I am and asking (ne, demanding) to be appropriately recognized for who I really am . It is becoming more and more obvious that nobody can understand what it is to be transsexual unless they are transsexual themselves. I don't try to tell lesbians what they are or are not, because I don't know -- because I'm not a lesbian. Likewise all you transgender people should stop trying to tell me or any other transsexual what we are or are not, because YOU DON'T KNOW! So stop whining and get off our backs. All you are doing is proving over and over again that you don't know what you are talking about. You are displaying transsexualphobia, and phobia is fear born of ignorance. What are you afraid of? You are clearly ignorant, but ignorance should not breed fear, it should breed a thirst for knowledge, and you cannot gain knowledge by discussing things with people who don't know any more than you do.
    Excuse me, but who exactly is being invalidated by making distinctions between things that distinct from one another. On the contrary, we, transsexual people are being invalidated by being denied our own separate place in the family. Are bisexual people dividing the community by being different from homosexual people? If anyone is dividing us it's transgender people who would deny transsexuals their rightful place under the rainbow. Doing so is invalidating us and pushing us away from the LGBTQ+ community. That is division. It is exclusionary. Who are you to claim that you are valid, but we are just some kind of subclass under your legitimate category. The fact that there are some 50 or more variants of transgender implies that it is the transgender people who don't know who they really are. Transsexuals are, by and large, quite certain of who they are, and need precious few terms to describe them. We are a well defined group, unlike transgender people who seem to need to add a new variant every few days because someone or another doesn't fit into any of the plethora of existing terms. As a group, transgender people seem to be pretty confused. If you don't even know who you are, who are you to be telling anyone else who they are. Sorry, but y'all need to put your own house in order before criticizing anybody else. End of discussion.

Respectfully submitted,
    Audry Leigh

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. River W.
    Festive

River W. Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey... stuff
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 1 / -11
    Very well said Audry. Very well said. Hopefully this'll help people understand better.

5. Being.
    No Mood

Being. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,952 / 1 / -13
    I'm not sure if youeve heard of comcern trolling. But there seems to be alot of that here lately.

From the internet

"A concern troll visits sites of an opposing ideology and offers advice on how they could "improve" things, either in their tactical use of rhetoric, site rules, or with more philosophical consistency. The "improvements" are almost exclusively intended to be less effective."

"

Imagine being on fire, running up to a firefighter screaming for help, and they hook their hands in their pockets and say, "Actually, before we start, I think you should say you're violently oxidizing. Not all oxidization is bad. I mean, some of my cells are performing oxidation right now, and I think it would be better if we ..."

6. Carlita
    Creative

Carlita I simply am not there
    Beloved Member

Original Star Trek USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
    Ratings:
    +231 / 3 / -4
    Im not transgender so bare with me. Isnt putting transexual in its own forum not logically appropriate since not all transgender are transexual; and, I assume regardless theyd still have similar commadere?

For example, it would be off to seperate a lesbian forum by gender expression (masculine or feminine). Its actually an insult.

Is that the same logic with transexual and transgender being separate forums?

7. AudryLeigh
    Curious

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,343 / 0 / -28
    Transgender and transsexual are not the same, nor are they even similar. People have been making that mistake for decades. The ONLY thing they have in common is that the words which describe them share a prefix. Transgender and transsexual are as different as their root words which are "gender" and "sex." Gender and sex are two entirely different things, therefore transgender and transsexual are also entirely different. Transgender people need to change the way society sees them and possibly the way they see themselves, and their presentation and behaviors, to be more in line with their true gender, hence trans-gender. Transsexuals could be said to have a birth defect -- their bodies are defective due to being anatomically the wrong sex. Transsexuals need to change their physical bodies (via hormone therapy) so their anatomical sex matches their gender. Transsexuals do not need to have surgery in order to be true transsexuals -- the surgery is purely cosmetic. Hormone therapy causes the body to go back into puberty, only as the sex opposite to their birth sex, and so changes the secondary sex characteristics to those opposite their birth sex, and therefore in line with their gender. Transsexuals do not need to change their gender, it is already what it is supposed to be, but the anatomical sex of their bodies is in conflict with their gender, therefore they need to change their sex, hence trans-sexual.

It is really quite simple. The problem arises because of the similarity in the way the two terms sound and the way they look when written -- an unfortunate coincidence since it has caused massive confusion regarding their difference. Trans-gender = change gender [expression/perception]. Trans-sexual = change anatomical sex from male to female or from female to male.

Sincerely,
    Audry Leigh

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.