1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Lesbian Transgender and genetics

Discussion in 'General (Off Topic)' started by Carlita, Dec 4, 2019 at 8:05 AM.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Carlita
    Creative

Carlita Aww. How adorable
    Beloved Member

Original Star Trek USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
    Ratings:
    +729 / 2 / -4
    I go to this other site and a question had been ask about transgender genetics. The main idea if I got it right is cismen in the womb didn't get enough estrogen and the brain as a result formed genetics of a female brain thereby the gender (genetics + environment) even though male by sex.

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2016/gender-lines-science-transgender-identity/

It's too long to summarize but the genetics part is near the middle. If you have time to read it through it's easier to understand the context than jumping unless you're familiar with genetic jargon, anywhere is good.

So far reading this looks at transgender from a scientific perspective so it's not discrediting other identity factors involved.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

#1 Carlita, Dec 4, 2019 at 8:05 AM
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 1:16 PM
  2. zen

zen Curator, Royal Academy of Inappropriate Handshake
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,072 / 0 / -8
    It seems the link is not working...can you post the article if you can find it?

3. Carlita
    Creative

Carlita Aww. How adorable
    Beloved Member

Original Star Trek USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
    Ratings:
    +729 / 2 / -4
  4. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. zen

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,072 / 0 / -8
    Thanks guys!

6. zen

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,072 / 0 / -8
    I just read the article, and found it very clear and simple for everyone to understand what transgender people really are. Really great for trans people to use when we want to make other people understand what we are.

I have to read scientific papers for my job, and I know from experience that any cause of disorders that are labeled as psychological are rarely psychological, but they actually stem from either a large part genetic/other predisposed conditions and environmental (such as food habit/lifestyle. In transgender case, it's hormone in the womb of the mother).

Transgenderism is not considered a mental illness or disorder anymore in DMS-5 (while dysphoria is and some say it's the same thing) and as the article states, and yet this trait had been treated as a mental illness for a very long time. Psychologists have been dragging down the scientific progress by claiming fairly unrelated and very wrong causes for many disorders for very long time, and they are still even today. Sex-determining genes are not just in X or Y, this means, we all share both (men/female) of the genes, and since the discovery of Foxl2 gene, we now know that human body can transform into opposite sex even for adults, and sex/gender is far complicated things than we thought they were.

Human body is very very complicated, but our brains love to keep everything simple because that's how our brains are programmed to do, and there lies the problem of stereotyping and discrimination. I loved the article covering this part of problem as well.

#6 zen, Dec 7, 2019 at 4:19 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019 at 4:24 AM
  7. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 0 / -0
    Just read the article (and now I'm wishing I hadn't read the comments).
    In my opinion the "how and why" aren't all that important but it these studies help people having something to show when confronted with the unavoidable "you're mentally ill" comments, then all the better...the problem is that most people who say those things couldn't care less about scientific studies because "trans are ruining society"...

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.