1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Together 50 years - died before they could marry

Discussion in 'Gay' started by Halloween, May 19, 2017.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Halloween
    Batty

Halloween †Яick oЯ †Яea†?
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,446 / 0 / -42
    Australian gay rights activist dies while waiting for right to marry partner of 50 years

[​IMG]

An Australian gay activist has passed away – before he was permitted to marry his partner of 50 years.

Peter ‘Bon’ Bonsall-Boone, the founder one of Australia’s earliest equal rights groups, passed away this week aged 78, following a battle with cancer.

The activist, who set up one of the first organisations to battle against anti-gay laws in the country, has been a consistent voice for equality for decades.

Mr Bonsall-Boone is survived by his partner of 50 years Peter de Waal.

[​IMG]

The couple exchanged vows in a ceremony last year to celebrate their 50 years together, but the activist’s death certificate will read ‘never married’ as same-sex marriages are still banned in Australia.

Just a few weeks ago, a terminally-ill Mr Bonsall-Boone had issued a personal plea to the country’s Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to pass an equal marriage law, so that he could tie the knot with his partner before his death.

However, Mr Turnbull was apparently unmoved by the letter. He continued to block a vote on the issue in Parliament, and sadly the law did not change in time for the couple to wed.

Speaking last month, Mr de Waal had said: “I would feel pretty awful if Bon were to die as a second-class citizen.

“It is an indictment on this coalition government, and their disregard for our community to be married.

“They are prepared, these people sitting in power in Canberra, to let my partner of 50 years die as a second-class citizen. My dear partner of 50 years.”

Mr Bonsall-Boone had said: “I would like to get married before I die. It’s a bit difficult to get married after I die, isn’t it?

“In looking forward to dying, one of my sorrows is that I’m not taking Peter with me.

“I am going to miss him like crazy. Marriage for Peter and me would be a great sort of fulfilment of many years of association and love.”

https://twitter.com/_/status/851003454377951232

It is not the first indignity that Bon suffered at the hands of the state.

He was arrested for having consensual gay sex, aged 19 – a conviction that remained on his criminal record for decades.

It was only in 2014 that a law passed to expunge such convictions.

Peter and Bon shared the first same-sex kiss on Australian television in 1972 on the ABC documentary series Chequerboard.

They also helped set up the first gay and lesbian helpline at their home and were also part of the early gay and lesbian civil rights movement and took part in the first Mardi Gras parade in Sydney in 1978.

2. CoffeeUnicorn34
    Badass

CoffeeUnicorn34 B A K U R A◆Thief King Badass
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,063 / 0 / -3
    Wow this story of this couple and that paired with the video of them talking about their account of events really hit me in the feels
    [​IMG]

The most heartbreaking part of their story is what they had is true love. And while they did their best to live their lives together as a couple, in a way they were married, even if it was never official which is the heartbreaking part of the story.

Even though there are a lot of places in the USA that still kind of fight off equal marriage, it is still legal to get married here which it isn't in Australia which is just sad. That being said, my heart goes out to Bon and Peter. I want to find what they had, that one special person that you spend your life with. What they had was such a beautiful thing.

Rest in peace Bon, although I'm a stranger on the internet responding to this story on a forum. You are a beacon of hope for all of us in the LGbT+ community and I pray equal marriage will get legalized in Australia. It's 2017, it's time for forward thinking, equal rights, and new change in a more positive direction.

[​IMG]

Once again, thank you Halloween for sharing these stories. It is very much appreciated. Love your avatar and signature.Hocus Pocus is such a classic and great movie, one of my favorites.

I also feel this song is applicable to alot of protests going on.
    "Writing on the Walls" by Aviators

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.