1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Therapy fail

Discussion in 'Health - Physical/Mental' started by Pibaire, Jan 23, 2021.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Pibaire
    Fine

Pibaire Village Idiot
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I see a guy (via Zoom) once a week for PTSD. Last session, I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to getting inoculated, and reengaging with groups and activities which (pre-pandemic) were good for me. He got all triggered and started blithering all the usual nonsensical rubbish; vaccines cause autism, Bill Gates, COVID is a bioweapon made in Canada, deaths are intentionally exaggerated, and I'm rigid and authoritarian in my thinking because I'm not open-minded enough to let my brains fall out. No matter how I tried to extricate myself from the conversation, he just kept banging on with his utterly fact-free nonsense, until he finally got off on a tangent of how "people like me want to take away everyone's guns" and how an AR-15 isn't an assault weapon...and that was it; I got sucked right into the vortex. I pointed out that Eugene Stoner specifically designed the AR-15 as an assault rifle; as a better counter to the AK-47 than the M-14, and that the one and only difference between an AR-15 and an M-16 is that the latter is selective fire. He responded that they weren't even the same caliber, to which I responded that was utter nonsense; they both fire a 5.56 mm NATO round. He got all huffy and asked, "Well; have you ever actually fired and M-16 or an AR-15?" "Yeah, as a matter of fact; both". With that, he abruptly ended the session.
    Not at all sure how I feel about continuing in therapy with someone who projects, gaslights, and eschews science for New Agey bullshite.
    BTW: We live in a small village; he's the only game in town.

2. Gab-bi

Gab-bi Reliable Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 0 / -0
    I for sure wouldn’t continue, it’s very important to have a good fit with a therapist to make it work.

Since it’s an online therapy via Zoom, you could easily choose someone else for that. Distance doesn’t really matter.

3. Gab-bi

Gab-bi Reliable Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 0 / -0
    I had EMDR for PTSD.
    You cannot do that online I think, but it worked very good.
    After 3 sessions I was cured after having had anxiety because of a severe car accident for 17 years.

4. starlightprincess

starlightprincess Active Veteran
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 0 / -2
    ......what? This was all things your THERAPIST said to you? I truly don't know how he got his license because the way he spoke to you is so far beyond unprofessional. You can't continue with him, its not even a question. He's a nut.

5. Pibaire
    Fine

Pibaire Village Idiot
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    We were doing EMDR prior to the pandemic; I thought that it helped some. I'm just going through a bad patch right now, with the nightmares and all.

6. starlightprincess

starlightprincess Active Veteran
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 0 / -2
    Yeah, but NONE of what he said is what a therapist should ever be saying to a client. It has nothing to do with his job as your therapist. Its of course up to you, none of us can tell you what to do, but I would HIGHLY suggest stopping therapy with him because that session wasn't right on any level.

7. Lv4music
    Jaded

Lv4music Reliable Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +449 / 1 / -0
    Hey Pibaire...
    I'm not at the top of my game right now as you may know, but I gotta say that I've had some really unfortunate experiences with therapists and doctors. When people walk into a licensed doctor or counseling office they naturally expect to be able to trust them. That's a huge mistake.... You shouldn't. Many people get into psychology cuz they're fucked up in the head. It sucks that many of us learn the hard way. I highly doubt I'm telling you anything you haven't figured out for yourself by now. It just never hurts to hear it again. It's cool to have a therapist that has been through enough shit to be able to emphasize, but not to feel superior.
    Your therapist sucks and probably has too many issues to be able to be a counselor. I've given up on them all together.
    I've seen several over the past few decades. Never had one really help me. They go over self esteem ( their usual shit)
    I've had some EMDR but it was the same counselor that caused my brain damage. Please vet your therapist carefully... They are flawed humans ( probably more than most people) cuz they have a license to practice so they may not think they make mistakes like the rest of us. If anything they are more flawed, cuz they think they're better and have a system that backs them up.
    I hope I don't sound as fucked as your therapist. I just know that too many people expect excellence and ethical treatment when they see doctors and therapists. It's not as realistic as most people expect. They're all human. No better than anyone else. Some are actually worse than most people because they Do think they're better, more equipped than everyone else. In my opinion that makes them dangerous. When they stop listening to their patient/ client... They become dangerous.
    I wish you the best. Want you to have peace in your life as well as I want it for myself.
    Peace and hugs to you.
    Lv4music

#7 Lv4music, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  8. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3,282 / 0 / -4
    I'm sorry to hear this happened. That wasn't at all appropriate for him to say. Very unprofessional! As a general rule typically no political discussion should happen in therapy. You say he's the only therapist in town. Have you considered online therapy with someone else? Especially with the pandemic it is becoming easier to find.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.