1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

The Day That Firefox Died For me.....

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Thief King Bakura, May 4, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Thief King Bakura
    Balanced

Thief King Bakura Bakura of the Rebellion.
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3,651 / 0 / -7
    [​IMG]

|
    (Click meme to read article)

Last night and this morning, Firefox Died for me. I know that this is a dramatic statement but the truth is, it killed all my extensions and add-ons. It starts with a message saying "Firefox has disabled all unauthorized addons." Well that wasn't the exact wording but you get the idea. This was my reaction:
    [​IMG]

This naturally lead me down the path of trying to trying to reinstall my addons. Then I got the message (not exact words) "Firefox can't download that extension due to connection error" which was ironic because my internet was up and running. So, I then restarted my computer as I was thinking it was something to do with my computer. I then reopened Firefox and tried reinstalling my addons and extensions again and again, I was met with the "Firefox couldn't download" message which I knew which was bogus.

Then, I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, again thinking it would fix the problem. Third time is the charm or it would have been in any other instance. I was still met with irritating messages of couldn't download bullshit and that was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I had to stop using Firefox. I didn't want to use Chrome as Google has monopolised everything. Also, there was privacy concerns.

Firefox also fucked up on my phone as well which lead me to deleting the app and thus I began the pilgrimage to find another browser, at least till Mozilla gets their fuckin shit together. Im now using the Opera browser on my phone. So far it has worked well enough. It is frustrating when something you've used for a long time fucks up beyond repair.
    [​IMG]

I found out this morning that I wasn't the only one that was dealing with Firefox ganking their addons and thus loosing them and making Firefox an unusable Clusterfuck. I read different accounts of their experiences and they related to my own. It turned out that Mozilla had a bug in its system which caused Everything to go sideways.

So as of May 4th 2019, Firefox Died for me this day. I'm disappointed as it was a very intuitive and user friendly browser and it's Android counterpart allowed for customization and add ons as well. Now it's dead too. So unless Firefox decides to fix their shit and get things up and running again, I will NOT be using Firefox again for the foreseeable future. It's a shame really .
    [​IMG]

I made this post as kind of a rant, and also was wondering if any other fellow Firefox users here have experienced something similar. I'd like to have a discussion about this. Let me know down below what your experience with Firefox is/was either positive or negative.

For me, using Firefox was a very positive experience until last night/this morning. This Bugzilla glitch has broken Firefox for a lot of users including myself. I wanted to talk about it and say that I'm disappointed that this has happened. They lost a long time user this day. Unless they fix this, FF is essentially an unusable Clusterfuck in my opinion. I'm done with Firefox unless something changes. Everything has become so corporate and not about the user that its very disappointing. I could probably write a novel on this subject but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

If you read this far, I thank you for hearing me out and putting up with my rant. Forgive my cussing, I am just very pissed off that Firefox, something that I've used for a long time on both PC and phone have become unusable messes. I'm just disappointed.

------------

UPDATE: I have decided to give the DuckduckGo browser a try on my phone. So far so good. Is smoother than butter.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #1 Thief King Bakura, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. Thief King Bakura
    Balanced

Ratings:
    +3,651 / 0 / -7
    UPDATE 2: My browser on my phone is Puffin Browser. it's super fast.

3. Ogx_25

Ogx_25 Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Keep us updated please I have been using Firefox since day one and that's 20 years ago I think

4. Thief King Bakura
    Balanced

Ratings:
    +3,651 / 0 / -7
    I will keep this thread updated as I hear/learn more news. For the time being, I've switched to Puffin browser on my phone and Comodo Dragon browser on my pc. I'm disappointed I had to make the change but when all my shit was gone I was like, bye so here I am. That doesn't mean that I might not go back to firefox in the future. It is a good browser, it just got a nasty bug that has affected a lot of users, myself included.

5. Ogx_25

Ogx_25 Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I understand that but it's built by man and will break at sometime. As someone told me.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 4, 2019 ---
    But I am Capt obvious

#5 Ogx_25, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  6. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,125 / 2 / -12
    Same with mine. I had my usual group of tabs going and suddenly the message came up. Some of the extensions are vital to my operations. I tried going back to an earlier version and got the same message. Glad I don't use it on my iPhone (I use Apple Safari and nothing else). But I'm not surprised (rant coming). Mozilla has had issues with Firefox for as long as I have used it; mostly memory leaks. You wouldn't notice it unless you are a heavy user, having a number of tabs open for many hours. Eventually, even idling with the tabs open, it will slow down and freeze. Restarting it is the only fix. I have sent reports to them many times but they never fix it. Another thing is that the bookmarks sync has a limit. I think it's 800 bookmarks or maybe 600. I have about 5000 bookmarks. Firefox (and its forks) is the only Windows browser that I will use. Not Chrome because it's made by Google and I avoid everything that's Google because they collect info on everything you do. Anyway I hope it gets fixed soon and there is a way to restore it as it was.

7. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,125 / 2 / -12
  8. Thief King Bakura
    Balanced

Ratings:
    +3,651 / 0 / -7
    UPDATE: I actually redownloaded Firefox today on my computer and mobile phone. I'm happy to announce that addons/extensions are once again working so I'm happy because I really like firefox as a browser.

9. bi dystopia

bi dystopia Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Firefox has worked fine, so I don't know what this is about.

You could try clearing the cache/cookies; that will be saved on your user even if you delete the program. Or download a new/older version, or just wait the hours/days until someone fixes it. Or check that nothing important has crashed like java/flash etc that can stop things working. You should always have a backup browser.

I have a mixed opinion of Firefox. It's good for games and runs fast, especially without add-ons, but Chrome is far more stable and less messy for general operating.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.