1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

The Circle on Netflix

Discussion in 'TV & Music' started by Storm71, Jan 15, 2020 at 5:02 PM.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Storm71

Storm71 Hot Cookie
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The reality social experiment "The Circle" has me hooked. It helps that I love the sound of Michelle Buteau's voice. I feel naive because I didn't realize social media carried so much power.

I'm open for conversation. Has anyone seen it? I'm curious to know what you think.

2. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox

Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0 / -0
    I hate reality TV and I hate social media (except these forums :p ) and I just binged the whole season of The Circle today.
    Everyone know lots of people are fake online but what you never get to see is the reasoning behind their photos/stats/etc. I felt The Circle gave us that.
    Sadly there were a few things there that made me think the whole thing is staged...maybe it's just me being paranoid.

3. Storm71

Storm71 Hot Cookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I agree. However, watching these episodes has made for great discussion. Plus, I love watching group dynamics. Especially how they react when new people join. I can also see myself in some of the behaviors.

4. Corvus
    Chatty

Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0 / -0
    *SPOILERS*

It was interesting to see how mere "likes" and flirtation could corrupt some people so quickly (Shubham) and on the other hand how some people full of bluster could actually be decent when the pretenses came off (Joey). Speaking of pretenses, I thought Seaburn used the whole Rebecca thing mostly as a way to express his femininity that scared him, more than for the sake of the game.

5. Storm71

Storm71 Hot Cookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    SPOILERS: I can't decide if Seaburn was more of his inner feminine or if he is a sociopath. It's funny. They kind of felt Rebecca's falseness in the beginning, but ignored it because she didn't make waves. Then Ed brought it up again.

I know its probably scripted, but it does reflect how groups gel in face to face.

6. Corvus
    Chatty

Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0 / -0
    SPOILERS (probably for every post from here on out :p )

Since he was catfishing there's a level of detachment you have to have from your own self and because of the program there's a lot of "show" to put on display. I mean, don't get him wrong...he's one of the people I least liked in the show but behaviour-wise I don't think he was worse than Alex for example, just did it for a whole lot longer. I feel that Sean and Karyn were a different type of catfish though and I wouldn't put them in the same boat as Seaburn and Alex.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.