1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

So what are your passions and how did you find them?

Discussion in 'General (Off Topic)' started by Quamz Da Man, Jul 28, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 8 users.
  1. Quamz Da Man

Quamz Da Man Lurker

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Express your selves.

2. Jo A
    Innocent

Jo A ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,162 / 2 / -1
    Writing - the limited people who have read some of my deepest writings tell me I should write a book.

Photography - I am framing my second photo for a friend. The first photo I place on a canvas and did not like. So I am learning.

Drawing - Thank you to my TA in college for the "A" and telling me to keep on drawing.

Now the hard one - living. My Angel helped me find, love and accept Me and showed me that I wanted to live. That was three years ago and I have been having fun since.

I am blessed.

3. AhhDenial

AhhDenial Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    aww cool post man. I'm still pursuing mine, but have some ideas. I work in the vanilla matrix like business world. It's funny I just realized the other day walking around the mall how much I hate to dress up in slacks and a button down shirt, at 33 years old it hit me lol. So I went to hot topic and bought some cool shirts.

Writing Music - Pulled out the guitar I haven't played in 5 plus years and started getting lost in that, it really helps a lot

Photography - Have just started, and am taking a photography class online. Plus I forget everything so it would be nice to have pictures :) 

2nd language - started taking up Russian, have no idea why lol, kind of on a whim I guess.

4. imekon
    Cynical

imekon Curious Explorer
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    • Writing code - after 40 years, I'm still writing code. It's all changed since I started. I tried writing code at the start of my career, loved it, never looked back.
    • Music - I'm still learning but hope one day I get beyond 8 bars of music. I worked for an audio company and learned some basic music theory and realised how easy it is to create basic melodies...
    • Writing - I write for my own benefit, maybe one day I'll publish some of it. I'm a science fiction nut and used to day dream a lot of fantastic worlds etc.
    • Games - I worked for a games company for a while, now I join in game jams for the fun of it. From the audio job, I got an opportunity to join a games company; game jams just happened when I stumbled across them one day.

5. x-amountofgay
    Balanced

x-amountofgay Gaymer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    I like to write, whether it’s stories or just my own personal thoughts. I started writing more around age 11, at a time when I was going through some difficulties. Over the years it helped me keep my feelings from being bottled up when I felt I couldn’t express them to others. I have always expressed myself better in writing than verbally, anyway.

Music is a big passion of mine. I’m not musically talented, but I use music as another way of expressing myself and using it to relate it situations in my life. It’s easier for me to cope with something when I can use music. I’m not picky about genres either.

I’ve been playing video games since I was old enough to hold a controller. Starting out on NES and working my way up to Xbox One, tons of games have provided escapes from reality throughout my life. I was a lonely kid who really felt socially awkward, and I didn’t have any siblings. I had friends but never really spent a whole lot of time with them outside school. Video game characters felt more like friends to me than real people did for a long time.

Outside of hobbies, my favorite thing to do is make people laugh. Even when I’m not at my happiest, making other people happy is important to me. I’m not really any sort of comedian, but my friends tell me I have a great sense of humor and it seems to entertain them.

#5 x-amountofgay, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 7:52 PM
  6. john1010101
    Old Hag

Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +615 / 0 / -11
    Passions? Lots of them and some I’m too old to indulge in such as long distance running, cycling, swimming. Gardening has always been at the top of my list. Now approaching decrepitude I’m only able to do so much. Luckily I’ve found a really good local gardener to help. Does everything from pruning roses to mowing lawns but sadly, being hetro, there’s no hanky panky side benefits in the woodshed.
    Music, mostly classical combined with a long standing obsession with hi-fi ( does anyone remember the term ?) I have 11, 500 odd LP,s an uncounted number of DVD’s & CD’s and I don’t know how many downloads on one of my Macs so if I listened to one album per day I’ll be dead before I got through them all.
    Architecture is an interest with Frank Lloyd Wright at the top of my list and Robin Boyd ( an Australian) whose house he build for himself in 1946 I owned until moving south.
    Philosophy and biblical studies are an almost obsessive interest but as the brain slows down so does my concentration and some would say comprehension.
    Painting and collage as a form of self indulgent therapy. (I hate the commercial art world ) I’d post a few examples here but I stubbornly refuse to play the absurd protocol for posting images on this site.
    Cookery -I was a chef for 11 years.
    Heritage roses, I have about 140 odd at last count.
    Dogs, my Kelpie/Labrador cross and Smithfield/Australian Bulldog cross make life really worth living.
    Politics (left of centre) but the way our species is going any interest these days usually involves disgust and despair.

Then there’s my close relationship with two younger gay friends and their two sons. Living in Hong Kong at the moment their situation fills me daily with trepidation.
    Oh, and pipe organs about which I’m more than obsessed.
    I’m not averse to the odd joint which maybe I should avoid at my age but - - - - - -

And last but not least volunteering on a queer crisis line;
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

Just noticed the ‘AND HOW DID YOU FIND THEM’part of the original question.
    Running, cycling and swimming were something I fell into at a very early age. I can’t even remember if there was a specific reason other than for swimming. Our house was on the beach and I was told ( I cant’ remember) whilst still in nappies I crawled into the water and swam off without hesitation.
    Running was something I just fell into. Always seemed to me walking was a bit of a waste of time.
    I can’t remember how I got into cycling and triathlons. Think I just somehow fell into it.
    Classical music was all I ever heard on the radio or the piano in my family home. I reacted with horror the first time a friend exposed me to early rock and roll. I thought the human race had gone insane.
    Gardening ran in the family generations back. I grew up surrounded by fabulous gardens. The thing I remember most clearly were the huge number of fruit trees on the family block and the months of jam and preserve making every year. Biblical studies I took up to try and understand the evil clerics I encountered at close quarters.
    Philosophy I fell into due to mixing with an ‘arty’ circle of gay academics as a teenager.
    Painting came from my grandfather. He died before I was born but our house contained dozens of his brilliant landscapes. The walls were covered with them.
    I fell into being a chef by accident. Took a part time job as a kitchen hand where second chef was often out of his face on drugs so I just stepped into his place. Next thing I was a chef without ever having planned to be one.
    Heritage roses were introduced to me by a friend who wrote on the subject.
    I always want a dog when young but my parents would only ever allow me to have a cat which I thought were ‘sissy’ animals.
    Pipe organs I fell in love with from the first time I was hypnotised by one. Still haven’t recovered.

#6 john1010101, Aug 1, 2020 at 11:40 PM
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 1:21 AM
  7. Caesiem
    Relaxed

Caesiem Geek
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Traveling. While I was born in the US, I grew up in England (boarding school) so I think that started my love for other countries. The past 10 years I've visited a different country every year. Only 7 more to go on my original list. That however is on hold for the foreseeable future. There is just something about the adventure and exploration of a new place, new people.
    Photography. I was really into it when I was younger, and then life got in the way. As I travel I've got back into it, although I've found I tend to only take pictures of architecture. *shrugs*
    Music. There is not a moment in the day, besides at work, where I don't have music playing. This pretty much started when I was younger, and I was trying to figure myself out and didn't know how I felt. Music was an easier way to express emotions, it knew how I felt. Knew how to put it into "words" where I couldn't. Still does to this day for that matter.

8. leoinni
    Creative

leoinni Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    this is a cute post!
    I got into drawing at like 12 when I was an mlp stan (not embarrassed I was 12 and made some genuine friends in that fandom) and made fan art for it, years later I'm still drawing and plan on a career in art :) 
    I got into photography by following a bunch of and then running an aesthetic blog/Instagram page and I still really enjoy it
    I got into reading comics by being disappointed in the mcu (endgame annoyed me so much I started reading comics so I could have another version of the characters)

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.