1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Site Up and Down

Discussion in 'Feedback, Suggestions, & Bugs' started by BiBearSSNV, Aug 31, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 9 users.
  1. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Friendly Watch Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -0
    Is it just me, but has the site has been down a couple of times today? This morning around 1030 PST. My browser timed out when trying to connect to the site, and then this evening happening while I was on navigating the site and was down for quite some time. I kept checking many times.

2. Tzap

Tzap Dedicative Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was a problem on my end. Its done it a few times last week aswell, can't connect, auto refresh, time outs. I put it down to site maintenance or maybe some bored youth has found a way to DDOS the site to slow it to an annoying level.

3. Jayme82
    Loved

Jayme82 The Legend of LGBT
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,031 / 0 / -3
    Yeah it's been down 4 or 5 times in a week I don't know what's going on but maybe someone will have an answer like Barefoot who runs the site

4. Skyliner

Skyliner genderqueer bisexual
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Yep I've had it as well. I thought it was something wrong at my end too.

5. Jaye
    Starving

Jaye Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Site has been more down than up the last couple of days..

6. BiBiLife
    Badass

BiBiLife Still breathing
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,972 / 3 / -6
    I had problems connecting yesterday and today. When I ran Windows Diagnostics it said the site is online but not responding to connection requests.

7. Nils/Ilse

Nils/Ilse bi-gender, and im okay with it.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    had the same issue today, im used to seeing the site working and loading extremly slow, i thought it was a connection issue on the servers end.

8. Tights_and_Skirts
    Tired

Tights_and_Skirts That Girl
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +787 / 0 / -2
  9. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer. Aesthete.
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,571 / 2 / -12
    It's not the site. There have been random internet disruptions caused by a severe solar storm. Other sites have been intermittent also. Solar storms can even cause power outages if they are severe enough.
    Admin

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Friendly Watch Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +299 / 1 / -0
    It must be where the server is located that is being hit at the time by the solar flares, because the rest of the sites I visit regularly were not affected. Makes sense though and I am glad it is something like this and not a cyber attack, a server problem, or a site problem.

Thanks Barefoot for the update! (y) 

#10 BiBearSSNV, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  11. john1010101
    Old Hag

Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +829 / 0 / -12
    Even though sunspot activity can take down a number of digital platforms there is no existing science that can prove a specific site’s problems are due to that cause.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Tears
    Dead

Tears Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    It felt way more like any cyber attack, because two weeks ago it started when in America was late evening and took whole 8 hours to fix it/the site to be reachable again... Than i reached site as one of the firsts afterwards (i guess at least) and there were no posts at all from the period, just 2 from shortly ago). But so long it was only once, other times it takes only several minutes and i can connect again.

I would appreciate if the domain would be moved to an better server but unlikely i would pay for being a monthly fee for using website...
    So i can understand that there isn't much what can we expect in this case.

13. Tears
    Dead

Tears Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    But today it was already horrible. As i pose out from when new post were posted, there were three huge breaks: 11 hours ago, duration: about 4 hours, next one half hour later for next 2½ hours and than last for another 2 hours shortly later...

Could thw person responsible for correct website working (Barefoot ?) please not hide and tell us what's the reason of this hell? I can understand couple of minutes when server is under high pressure, but I haven't yet been on another website shut down without any particular reason for almost half a day...

Please let us at least better understand the issue, I get it still that not everything is possible since you all may have very limited budget. But let users know what's going on! They are part of this place!

14. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer. Aesthete.
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,571 / 2 / -12
    It's not my site. I don't have control over whether it runs or not. I just make sure it runs correctly when it is running. The issues you are asking about here are the site owners responsibility and he is not here on the site. I run the site but the owner has to get involved when it goes down. I let him know, then it's out of my control as to what happens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Tears
    Dead

Tears Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    That's of course not a duty but I think 'every' (...in my perfect world...) owner should take a look sometimes at his childs...
    But ok, I get it that in this case it won't be like this... :/

Thank you anyway for your action!

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.