1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Shouldn't there be an asexual/aromantic forum on this website?

Discussion in 'Asexual & Grey-Ace' started by naturegal, Nov 7, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. naturegal
    Zorro

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, I'm not asexual or aromantic, although I have many friends who are. However, I think they deserve equal representation to that of more visible lgbt+ groups. I understand that not everyone who uses this resource agrees about what being ase/aro actually is, and I'm not asking everyone to adhere to my own personal beliefs. I just think that the ase/aro community (including other identities on the asexuality spectrum) deserves to have just as many resources as other lgbt+ communities. If you're reading this and you're an admin or moderator, could we start a dialogue about this topic?

2. Blacktgirlanimefan

Blacktgirlanimefan Blm, graphic design and tgirls
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -4
    I hope for their sake this will happen.

3. River W.
    Jammie

River W. Dancing with myself <3
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,756 / 1 / -14
    From what I understand, it's very hard for them to add forums to this site. I'm not really sure why. I think the mods, AudryLeigh Barefoot could better explain here. But yeah...

4. AudryLeigh
    Inactive

Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3,119 / 0 / -38
    Hey guys 'n' dolls,

We are, unfortunately, hamstrung when it comes to adding forums. It requires the participation of the site owner, who has lost interest in the site, and has been ignoring all requests, for a long time now, so it is not possible to add an Ace/Aro forum. We do our best here, but there is only so much we can do.

Hugs,
    Audry Leigh: LGBTchat Senior Staff

5. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,344 / 2 / -12
    I was going to ignore this thread, but I think it needs to be further explained, though I have explained it before, and I'm not fond of typing, so pass the word around. I am fully capable and able, to create new forums on this site. In fact I am able to do almost anything with this site that anyone would want to do. I have access to the control panels and tools that can make changes. But I won't, and I'll explain why later in the post. An administrator, which I am, is not just a position. An administrator on a XenForo based site, which this site is, or any site for that matter, has to be a trained software technician, trained specifically in working with the controls and tools that XenForo software has, and there are many, they are complex and they also interact with each other in ways that aren't obvious. Which means an administrator has to know the system and know it well. I'm not aware if there is/are any other people on the site besides myself and the site owner, who have that knowledge. I learned it on another XenForo based site, quite a while ago, and not on my own, I was tutored. That is why I got to be an admin here; because I already had the training for it.
    So OK, here is why I won't make any major changes to the site:
    Anytime significant changes are to be made, the database files for the site have to be backed up. In other words, a copy of it has to be made and stored elsewhere so that in case anything were to go wrong during the changes, the database files could be restored (copied back) so that the site will continue to run as it was before changes were made. Only the site owner can make that backup, or copy, of the database. Both I and AudryLeigh have asked him about the backups; whether he is doing them or if he will please do one and let us know. He has never responded to our emails in regard to this. So unless I know the database is being or has been copied (backed up) to a safe storage, I won't take a chance on something going wrong when making major changes, and not having a copy of the database files to replace with, in the event that something went wrong. That would very likely crash the site, and it would be no more. Now you know.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit
    Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,906 / 0 / -9
    There is an asexual section now, and this thread has just been moved into it! :) 

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.