1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Sewing

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by NickOB, Aug 26, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. NickOB

NickOB Robot

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    With the number of trans people I know who make their own clothes so they can have something that actually fits I’m surprised that there isn’t a thread for this.

Who likes sewing? What do you like to do? I’m actually not that great at clothes making, but I make damn good hats, bags (well, bag but it’s lasted me ten years now), embroidery, and just recently face masks. Most of the time I spend sewing nowadays is spent on my battle jacket (one of these, but mine’s way more colourful and queer).

2. Tzap

Tzap Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +536 / 0 / -0
    I uses to have a battle jacket in my teens, spent years on the paintings on the back, the patches, getting the studs spaced uniformly, then matching the old denim to the right aged leather, and spending time decorating the leather to match the demin without being the same, just to lose it in a pub (or was it just a party) years later.

3. NickOB

NickOB Robot

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Oh no! All that time to make something truly personal. I feel for you. :( 

I nearly lost mine once. I was given some... fungi in a club which I put in my breast pocket for later that night. Somebody must have seen that because half an hour later the jacket was gone. Luckily some mates of mine found it (a block from the club in a gutter). Everything had gone except my keys and the jacket itself, which was the main thing to be fair

4. Blackpaw
    Dreaming

Blackpaw Eccentric dreamer.
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +636 / 0 / -0
    I studied pattern drafting at college when I first left school. I made my own clothes back then and they fit brilliantly!

I had access to industrial sewing machines, overlockers and presses. I had a fantastic teacher too. It was fun!

My career path veered in a totally different direction though because I couldn’t see myself sewing for 8 hours every day.

So the sewing got shelved, save for a few bits and pieces that I’ve done over the years.

I’ve often wondered about getting another machine, because a lot of guy’s shirts that I like don’t fit the female curves and I could adjust them.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.