1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Trigger Warning! Service Dogs for Survivors Of Violence

Discussion in 'General (Off Topic Lounge)' started by Most Bald, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:19 PM.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Most Bald

Most Bald Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Greetings! ThIs is a query about whether you believe LGBTQ+ community members who are survivors of violent crime and who are affected by mood and/or anxiety disorders may value a LGBTQ+ welcoming organization that provided service dogs and supported their handlers in living inspired lives?

Bias is sometimes a challenge when searching for service providers. Having LGBTQ folks involved in the leadership in a provider organization would be a good move, I believe.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Most Bald

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    #1 Most Bald, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 9:27 PM
  2. Tragic

Tragic Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    It sounds like a good idea. I may not be suitable because I have a fear of dogs. I do need exposure therapy.

3. Most Bald

Most Bald Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, Tragic. Yes, I guess it could be a little inconvenient if you are dog-phobic.

We were once asked to consult with someone who very much wanted a dog, however the prospective dog handler was very concerned about dog saliva and was repulsed by the thought of being licked. It was enough of a concern that the client ultimately decided that not being licked was a significant part of the customization of their dog’s training.

Different strokes for different folks...

- Most Bald

#3 Most Bald, Oct 13, 2019 at 6:46 PM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 6:47 PM
  4. Claire15
    Batty

Claire15 Well-Known Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +244 / 0 / -0
    I kind of like feel uncomfortable around big dogs...
    When i was little every single dog i met goes like weird around me..
    So i tend to stay away from dogs.. I've not tried to build a relationship with a dog... like ever.. i'm a cat person.

5. Most Bald

Most Bald Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Claire15,

One day, you might have an occasion to develop a relationship with a dog, perhaps not. I think it’s great that you enjoy cats.

- Most Bald

6. Tragic

Tragic Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I have thought about it. I would consider having a service dog. These are professionally trained dogs and I need support.

7. Claire15
    Batty

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +244 / 0 / -0
    I cannot have animal friends in my house.. Its that kinda situation. And i don't get out much to get to know even people let alone their dogs. But i'd love to get to know one sometime.. Maybe in the future, Dogs are amazing.
    I have cats around,In the neighbor hood, And they like me <3 lol

8. SpilerM
    Thinking

SpilerM Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I raise dog and have official pedigree kennel. When I brought my first dog it helped me soooooo much. I never thinked it will have such a big help on me and it was not a therapy dog. Just a simply family member. Sadly she passed away, but thanks to her I improved a lot and built self-confidence. So I would definitely think this is a very good idea!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  9. Most Bald

Most Bald Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hey SpilerM! How’s it going?

I’m curious? What do you breed? Dogs can truly be life savers! Magic can develop in the bond that develops.

Most Bald

10. Claire15
    Batty

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +244 / 0 / -0
    Most Bald I've a question for you, Just a little curiosity , Since you seem knowledgeable about dogs..

11. Most Bald

Most Bald Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hey, Claire15! How can I help?

12. Claire15
    Batty

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +244 / 0 / -0
    So this is just my observation..
    Dogs are very sensitive by nature.. They can sense so many things humans can't .. not just smell of matter... I find they can pick up a lot of frequencies.. and perceive way more than a human being can by default..
    But the thing i noticed is, the more they are trained by humans, they more they are 'civilized' the more they become like humans and the lesser their sensitivity gets? I mean.. only humans used to go mad... no other creatures. but now humans have started to influence other creatures too.. like i find dogs can get mad now.. lol just a crazy observation.. If you lock em in a cage for a while.. they get that way.. it wasn't that way before..

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.