1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

second language?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by josu, Jan 14, 2020 at 6:57 AM.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 9 users.
  1. josu

josu know thyself, love thyself

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    do you speak a second language? or perhaps trying to learn one? is it a natural language or a constructed language?

years ago i decided to learn Esperanto on a whim. now i'm learning French and hope to learn Chinese next (Mandarin probably, though i'm also interested in Cantonese).

2. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    I'm Portuguese so from there to Spanish (and to some extent Italian) wasn't a big jump but sometimes I still wonder if I'm not still shoving a bit of Portuguese in there.

English (obviously) wasn't too terribly difficult since it's everywhere.

Had French in school but never really used it so while I can still read it I couldn't say a sentence to save my life (which I needed to last time I went to France and got a severe case bronchitis but I couldn't say much in any language at the time :p )

I moved to the Netherlands about 7 years ago so I needed to add that to my list and now it's my 3rd best language (behind English and Portuguese)

Planning on starting to learn German next because I get a ton of German guests at my work and I was really surprised when I realised a lot of them don't speak anything else, even English.

I would like to eventually go back to learning Japanese and tackling Swahili but I don't see that happening any time soon.

3. josu

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    that's awesome!
    is Dutch the language in the Netherlands?

also, i forgot to mention that Twi is another language on my list. i know many folks from Ghana.

4. Corvus
    Chatty

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    It is indeed. Not just the Netherlands though... Aruba, Belgium, Curacao, Sint Maarten and Suriname have Dutch as their official language (or one of their official languages)
    Then you have Afrikaans which is very very close to Dutch that is spoken in South Africa and Namibia. First time I read it I thought it was someone using slang Dutch XD

You learn something new every day! Nice choice! :D 

5. JingleBells

JingleBells jιngle
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -1
    Learning different languages is really good for developing yourself, evolving yourself. You are really cool person. I'm curious about Sanskrit, Its a dead language. Personally i think its the most advanced language ever. In English there is only a single word for mind, and its mind. They have like 40000. Lol. They were very advanced society, Their culture so In depth, Goes deep into everything. Unfortunately its destroyed. The modern 'yoga' you see today its not the real yoga. It lost its essence.

6. Haxord
    Cowabunga

Haxord Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +405 / 0 / -1
    Another portuguese? Awesome! :D 

I'm pretty much the same as corvus! I'm portuguese and I know english pretty well.
    I also know french at almost B2 level.
    Spanish since it's so similar to portuguese, I guess if i want I can make myself understandable XD
    Don't really know what i should learn next, plus it's very expensive to have classes... yes i know i can learn by myself, but let's be real, unless i'm a super focus/commited person it won't work, and i feel in the beginning it's easier to have some kind of teacher to help and guide.
    Thought about german but.... it's super hard and i don't really want to go there so, we will see!

7. Corvus
    Chatty

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    Haxord Actually, lessons has been what worked for me the least. Even watching tv had better results. With Dutch I went head in; no lessons, no practice...just listen, repeat and slowly learn. Sticks with you so much better than lessons. Immersion all the way!

8. Jianghu
    Zorro

Jianghu Chinese American cis gay dude

Ratings:
    +535 / 0 / -0
    Congrats, Josu. I'm always happy to see other Americans learning languages, since we have a pretty bad reputation for being monolingual (and not even doing that well sometimes).

I speak French, Mandarin and Cantonese plus Spanish cuss words from growing up in "the hood".

Good luck in your studies - and don't be afraid to butcher your new language as long as it takes before it starts coming together. Even if you accidentally say "Please give me head" while trying to buy train tickets.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #8 Jianghu, Jan 14, 2020 at 2:02 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 2:03 PM
  9. Corvus
    Chatty

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    Or on purpose...no risk, no reward.

10. Haxord
    Cowabunga

Haxord Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +405 / 0 / -1
    I agree, that's how i learned french, but I also see that i have some bad habits which i got from learning that way.

11. Corvus
    Chatty

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    True. That's something to consider. Slang, accents, speaking mannerisms...

12. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,305 / 0 / -1
    I only know English (dumb American Anyone) but I'm trying to learn Dutch so I can talk to my datemate in their own language.

I took Spanish in school and can still read it a little bit but I can't speak it very well. Something I would like remedy in the future.

As for other languages I would like to learn well German and French are definitely on the list. Maybe Chinese or Arabic or Hindi. Something with a really interesting looking writing system. I don't know. I'll get to that eventually.

For now Dutch is enough. Doei.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  13. Corvus
    Chatty

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    Veel succes. Je kan het!

14. LouisBlue
    Creative

LouisBlue Dedicative Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0
    I am half Dutch, half German from birth. So I naturally speak Dutch and German. Besides that, I speak English (obviously) and had French for a few years. I almost had B2 level. Now I can still read a bit and speak it a little, but not much more than that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. josu

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    any one know a made-up language, like
    Dothraki, tlhIngan Hol, or Quenya?

16. RevyMoon

RevyMoon Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I speak two language's English and Afrikaans, and I am trying to learn Spanish as well as German

Sent from my SM-G532F using Tapatalk

17. Haxord
    Cowabunga

Haxord Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +405 / 0 / -1
    Afrikaans is cool!

18. RevyMoon

RevyMoon Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    It really is, what I love most is how much more expressive it is than English, but I feel like most languages are probably more expressive than English lol

Sent from my SM-G532F using Tapatalk

19. Haxord
    Cowabunga

Haxord Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +405 / 0 / -1
    Brazilian portuguese is more fun and expressive than portugal portuguese! Portugal portuguese is more serious i guess, brazilian is way more dancy and fun XD

20. Corvus
    Chatty

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    A lot of languages are more expressive than English but English is still my favorite. There's something endearing about the simplicity.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.