1. $1. For $1 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to make a donation. Thank you!

Representation

Discussion in 'Lesbian' started by M.., Jan 10, 2017.  |  Print Topic

$1 - Support the site and go ad free for life for $1. Click here to make a donation.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. M..

M.. ~
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I used to not get the big deal about representation in media and film. I mean, I know it's a good thing to help other people understand different perspectives and normalize them. But I've never understood why it matters so much to those who are under represented. I myself never cared much.

But then I discovered the tv show "The Fosters" and damn. It feels to me as if the writers somehow got special access to my dreams and fantasies and made it to a tv show. And it feels so great.

Objectively, the series is just good and not great. But it struck such a deep chord within me that I can't help but feel giddy whenever I watch it. The show made me feel like I can have what they have, which I have wanted all my life. I never thought it was possible for me to feel this way and yet I do.

Now I can't help feel envious of people who get more representation in media and how lucky they are to be assured so many times that what they want is possible and achievable.

Sorry for the long rant, I just wanted to share so much how I feel. If you have any good lesbian tv shows please let me know.

PS I've just started the show, so no spoilers please.

2. spreadpositivevibes

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Don't envy them, and instead look at how you can instead take that positivity and put it into your life! Also as for some suggestions
    -orange is the new black
    It's the only LGBT related tv show other than that I've only watched LGBT related movies.

3. kanah
    Dead

kanah Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    you should try not to be overly angry. be annoyed and be angry and fight for yourself if that's something you feel you need to do but keep your cool because there is nothing that irrational people hate more than a level headed opponent who does good work behind their back.

on a much happier note try orphan black there are only five characters so far and one only appeared in one episode but they are really inspiring people.

4. kanah
    Dead

kanah Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    also Wynonna earp

5. Cecil H

Cecil H Pan and doing what I can
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Supergirl is a great show, and once you get to a certain point, a lesbian detective ends up helping another character come to terms with herself and find out she's lesbian too. The two end up dating, and she has to come out to her friends.
    Another show with huge representation is Steven Universe. It's animated, but it gets darker later in the show, and the non-human beings (main characters, too) in it identify as female and are all interested in females, except for one that we know of that is bi/pan.

#5 Cecil H, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017