1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Rep mocks trans people then erases herself from social media

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Halloween, Nov 12, 2017.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Halloween
    Batty

Halloween †Яick oЯ †Яea†?
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 0 / -42
    Republican mocks trans people then erases herself from social media

[​IMG]

A Republican politician has deleted herself from social media after posting a mocking message about trans people.

State Representative Mary Franson tweeted on Wednesday morning.

She wrote: “A guy who thinks he’s a girl is still a guy with a mental health condition.”

Her message came on the same day that America woke up to see Andrea Jenkins become the first trans woman of colour elected to public office and Danica Roem become the first trans woman elected to state legislature in the US.
    [​IMG]

It also came after another trans candidate was elected to the Minneapolis City Council.
    [​IMG]

Speaking to CityPages, Jenkins said: “Thank you, Representative Franson, for showing all Minnesotans your true bigotry and unapologetic transphobia.

“As a tax-paying citizen, I am extremely disappointed in seeing my public officials displaying such discrimination against and complete disregard for transgender residents of the great state of Minnesota.”

Franson has also been criticised by the Minnesota LGBTQ legislative caucus.

CBS Minnesota reports that Franson deactivated her Facebook page and personal Twitter account.

But people are still taking to social media to tweet and tag her for the vile message.

One Twitter user wrote: “I am embarrassed for your family, what a shame you’ve brought upon them. Your transphobic remarks should cost you your position. No hate monger should be in public office. You, sir, are what is wrong with this country.”
    Another added: “Your disgusting bigotry has no place in Minnesota. Do better or resign.”

“Mary Franson is a vile bigot, and clearly only cares for and represents those who she feels don’t have a “mental problem”. Prepare to be primaried next go, Franson. You disgrace our community and our state government,” said a third.

When she tweeted for Veterans Day to thank “those who have called to serve”, anothr Twitter user asked her: “Does that include transgender soldiers?”

2. CoffeeUnicorn34
    Badass

CoffeeUnicorn34 B A K U R A◆Thief King Badass
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,063 / 0 / -3
    First off, what the bloody fuck!? Who's the son of a bitch who thought it was actually ok to mock trans people? They need to get the fuck out of here. Seriously, bloody nazis. A nazi by any other name is still a fucking nazi.
    [​IMG]
    I'm happy that Danica Roem got elected, espeically in the bloody bible belt. That's a win over 9,000 right there. I can't remember the other one's name but I'm happy she got elected too (she is a she right?)
    [​IMG]
    In conclusion, haters gonna hate, nazis can go to hell. I ain't changing who I am. I'm a man whether they like it or not. Fuck that transphobic ass bullshit!
    [​IMG]
    The Thief King has spoken.

3. AudryLeigh
    Confused

AudryLeigh tGirl and Dedicated Advisor
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -16
    A person who thinks a trans-woman is a man with a mental condition is just an asshole with a learning disorder.

People can change though. I had a downright astonishing experience last night at Karaoke. There is this guy there, a hard core biker, who, way back when I first started going to Karaoke at that bar, then a hard core biker bar, made it known that I disgusted him and that he wanted to catch me in the alley outside the bar and "pulp" me. I am (for some unknown reason) however, under the protection of some of the biggest, baddest, nastiest people in this county, and he was quickly advised to leave me the Hell alone.

I knew none of this, and so periodically would talk to him. Having received a very stern warning from a couple of very powerful people, he was cordial to me, and I thought he was just another "bar friend". Last night, he was wearing a souvenir jacket from Hawaii on which all of the silk screened graphics were in blazing rainbow colors. Unaware of his true feelings, I jokingly commented, "You know what those colors mean to people like me." The room went dead silent, and I swear Ice formed on the walls.

Many of the people in the bar were people who would have dismantled him if he had so much as touched me, and he was well aware of that. He drew a deep breath and, in kind of a sigh said, "We need to talk." So we did. I sat down on the bar stool next to him and, for an hour and a half, I sipped my martinis and he drank his beers, and we talked about absolutely everything that transphobic/homophobic people can't stand about LGBT people - all the whys and wherefores, excuses, misinformation, etc. Noting was left out. Nothing.

Initially, he was pretty unfriendly, but maintained, knowing that if he even so much as insulted me, he'd be cream of biker soup. When I talked, he did listen, and he seemed to be paying attention. After a while, I began to see wheels turning in his head, and he started to soften. Many things he just could not understand and so really just couldn't believe - things like the fact that I was actually born a girl in a boy's body - things like being gay is not a choice. Finally I said, "and you never are going to be able to understand - you have to be there to really understand. Intellectually, you can learn the facts, but just like I will never be able to really understand what it's like to be in combat - because I never have been, you will never be able to understand what it's like to be a person like me - because you're not." BINGO! The light went on. His expression changed, his body armor dropped, he relaxed - and he bought me a drink.

From that point on, he was just full of essentially academic questions about things he didn't understand, but now wanted to know. Things like "what was it like to use the women's restroom?" "Did I have kids? How did I tell my kids? How did they take it?" "Was I really comfortable wearing a dress?" "How could I stand to walk in high heel shoes, and why would I want to?" "How are gay and trans people different (aren't trans people just gays who like to wear dresses)?" He was astonished to hear that I was a lesbian. That one really took him a while to process. "You mean that some guys - excuse me, women like you (that was a huge step, right there), that some of them like guys and some of them like women?" I told him about the work I did on lgbtchat, rescuing young people from lives of misery, from suicide, and he told me that he had, over the years taken many "lost" young men in off the streets, and rescued then from drugs, lives of crime, from child predators, etc. All of a sudden we had something in common. We high-fived and bumped knuckles. He asked about what kinds of things the kids I worked with actually went through. When I told him, he teared up. It hit him like a bolt of lightning that some of the kids I had worked with were suicidal, because they had fathers who were like him. We hugged. Finally, he said, "You really aren't putting any of this on, are you? You're just being yourself." "Yup." We hugged again.

Having been so caught up in the conversation, I had missed several calls for my turn to sing. I heard my name called out, and the KJ hollered (because he knew I was in the other part of the bar), "Last chance Audry!" (It was near closing time.) So I went to sing my last song - actually turned out to be the last song of the evening. He followed me into the other part of the bar. I did Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's Teach Your Children. When I looked at him after I finished, he had tears in his eyes - something a biker never lets himself do in public. He came up to me and gave me a great big hug..... and a cheer went up from the entire bar. It really just doesn't get much better than that.

The thing that most blew my mind about the entire evening was that he said, "You know, a lot of people could learn a lot from the conversation we had tonight. Maybe we should re-create it, and get a media student from the U (University of Oregon) to make a documentary out of it." O M G! Here was a hard core biker who only a couple of hours ago had been not only homophobic/transohobic, but homo/trans hostile, who now wanted to teach the World what he had just come to realize - and he was serious - and we might actually do it. If/when we do, it'll go up on Youtube, and I'll be sure to let you all know.

People really can change.

Hugs,
    Audry

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Bornunderabadsign

Bornunderabadsign Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    By deleting herself from social media she has all but admitted her on wrong doing. Or that her opinion is beyond reproach. Either way she had a right to her opinion even if it is disturbing.

5. Jax Fiorella
    Scared

Jax Fiorella Once you question your own belief, it's over
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    she does have a right to her opinion, and we don't want to forcefully change that. I saw what Halloween said and I was angry, but Bornunderabadsign is right. We are not entitled to change her opinion, but people around the world are trying to change peoples' opinions anyway with public statements like pride marches and haters come to these pride marches and sometimes they realize that people from the LGBTQ+ community are just like them: Human. we are not all those hateful derogatory terms that people say, we're human. and some people realize that. I don't blame everybody for being a bit harsh, in this case, it's not harsh, the idiotic hate person who did this is harsh. But once we all calm down, Bornunderabadsign's message is the key. She deleted herself from social media and she is entitled to her opinion, wether it changed during the wrath of Transgender people around the country, or wether it didn't change. either way, there are still people out there who can change their opinion, they just don't have motivation to do so yet.

6. Halloween
    Batty

Halloween †Яick oЯ †Яea†?
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 0 / -42
    A Minnesota State Rep’s “Apology” To A Transgender Councilwoman Was Even Worse Than Her Attack
    "This isn’t the first time I’ve offended the social justice warriors and it won’t be the last," said Minnesota State Rep. Mary Franson.

On Election Night, Andrea Jenkins became the first trans woman of color elected to a city council, when she won a seat on the Minneapolis City Council. Jenkins was part of a wave of trans people getting involved in the political process, and received congratulations far and wide. (Phillipe Cunningham, a trans man of color, also won a seat on the same city council.)

But Minnesota State Rep. Mary Franson tweeted out her response Wednesday morning: “A guy who thinks he’s a girl is still a guy with a mental health condition.” (The tweet has since been deleted.)
    [​IMG]

Franson, a Republican, has a lengthy anti-LGBT record: In 2012, she opposed marriage equality because children needed to be protected from normalizing homosexuality.

Two years later she claimed the Safe and Supportive Minnesota Schools Act, which would have protected LGBT students from bullying, as “fascism, Minnesota style” and an “attack on the Bible and conservative Christians.”

She eventually issued an “apology” for the tweet, but it was pretty much worse than her original statement.

“There are times I don’t practice kindness. For that I am sorry,”
    wrote Franson.

“While I do believe that one can’t change their gender based on their feelings, I didn’t need to tweet out my thoughts. God created man and woman but then sin entered the world and disrupted his perfect plan. He then sent His one and only son, Jesus, to take away our sins and to restore a broken relationship with God. I should have shown grace and not come across the way I did. For that I apologize. I do not apologize for not conforming to the PC world where I’m supposed to go along with fantasy and participate in it. This isn’t the first time I’ve offended the social justice warriors and it won’t be the last.”

[​IMG]

It’s interesting that a woman who believes being transgender is a “fantasy” expects everyone to agree that a man who died 2,000 years ago performed miracles, died, came back to life and lives in heaven with God. But we’re not one to point fingers.

We’ll just let Councilwoman-elect Jenkins have the last word.

[​IMG]
    “Thank you, Representative Franson, for showing all Minnesotans your true bigotry and unapologetic transphobia. As a tax-paying citizen, I am extremely disappointed in seeing my public officials displaying such discrimination against and complete disregard for transgender residents of the great state of Minnesota.”

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.