1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Remote/Distance Learning

Discussion in 'College/University' started by Easton, Apr 11, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 11 users.
  1. Easton
    In-Love

Easton Greenhorn
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Is anyone else struggling at this point in the semester/quarter/whatever system your school goes by in this remote/distance learning thing? My school district has been doing it for almost a month now and I've been really struggling and I'm in my last semester of community college before transferring to the local state school and I really need to not be taking this as loosely as I have for the past month.

I'm coming off of spring break this coming week and I just need to spend the next 48 hours between appeasing family members over zoom for Easter and figuring out a game plan for the next four weeks to just find that "umpth" to make it through.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way? Or if I'm just going more than stir crazy with this self-isolation?

2. ConfusedButHappy
    Amused

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -1
    I feel can feel this post :p 

Our lockdown started during my last week of class for the first quarter and we've been on break for the last two weeks. Our classes only start in a week, but I've had to try and catch up on some work during this break, but I can't.

We've been told that our entire first semester will be done online, including exams. I am not at all prepared. Super scared of just not passing because of all of this.

Maybe this entire situation will make us better students in the end?

Oh well... When the pressure's on, we'll see what happens xD

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Former Member #2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feel badly for those who are still taking math classes, as I see those as being rather nightmarish online. Classes that require labs also...ugh...thankfully, my classes are primarily lectures. Beyond note taking it's just writing and research for me, which I generally have down pat. So for me, it's been nothing to concern myself over. I have two brothers who are still muddling through some of the earlier college requirements, and one of them is always lamenting about his math and tech classes online being terrible.

4. BiBiLife
    Badass

BiBiLife Still breathing
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,972 / 3 / -6
    This is my third week of distance learning. Been pretty good overall, most of my classes have taken a hands-off approach, so as long as you turn in your work on time, that's all that matters. Two of them have online meetings, which is okay. Except one of the professors is really disorganized, so she was a pain to deal with even before the lockdown. But it hasn't been too terrible.

5. ReadingNow

ReadingNow Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have most of my teachers doing lectures on Zoom. I have to admit with my ADD it's been a little bit of a mess. I have trouble concentrating because I'm at home but at the same time it's been easier because I don't have to waste time with transportation.

6. jesssmart

jesssmart Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I personally hate distance learning. My school uses Schoology for grading and stuff, and so weekly my dad gets an e-mailed report of grades/assignments for me. Anyway, passing an online English test, I missed two questions. No big deal, right? Well, no. See, English has been my best class this semester, I've gotten 100s all the way through, mainly because my teacher grants a ton of extra credit. So this 32/36 quiz grade BOMBED my average and now my mom's mad at me and I'm super stressed out. Now I have to write an essay and I'm affraid. Luckily I found these free essay samples https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/science/ . I'm not copy past fan, but following the similar structure may be a good idea.

7. poishishikochi

poishishikochi Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I want to do courses for IT I think, but don't know speciality, especially now is best time to do.

8. nisayvx

nisayvx Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nice outcome, first topic I entered and somebody needs my help :D . IT is interesting, and after earlies 2000s I knew the major impact technology will have on people and world. Think about it, now borders are closed, new type of health passports will be public open this or next year. And you will learn not at school but from house. And most interesting if your parents are wealthy they can pay more for physical presence at school. Well I work now on a pharmaceutical company as laboratory tech engineer. In 2015 https://www.spotoclub.com/ helped me with Cisco certificate. I finished my courses and introduced at each CV that I applied to every company. Cheers, it’s a good option.

9. trainer

trainer Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    You're not alone. I've been doing some outreach work with an old professor of mine, and this has meant getting online to discuss progress and what not. She's a thorough professional, and I get readings mailed every Friday so that I can get up to speed, and we discuss the material online. It is as rigorous as classes I've taken with her. But since I'm volunteering, there is a little more flexibility this time. Doesn't mean I can be sloppy, but I can take it easy at least.

My cousin on the other hand is really struggling. He's doing a module on research methodology, and they're currently dealing with the quantitative method. He had to miss a couple of sessions, and now he's utterly lost--they're doing a week on the z-score formula (yikes! Simply looking at this is anxiety enough for me), and he doesn't know how to catch up. It's too much stress just watching him. He's really worried right now. Many of his friends feel the same way, from what he tells me. It is certainly tough. What does help him, however, is sitting by the window. It alleviates stress and tension and engenders some calm. He's lucky enough to have a nice view and it's quiet outside, so if you can afford to attend classes from a similarly calming setting, it just might help.

#9 trainer, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  10. FTM
    Sarcastic

FTM Justin
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -1
    Yikes. I'm going back to school in a couple of weeks, and I am super worried about being able to get schoolwork done, because internet access is so difficult for me. That and learning pre-calculus online isn't gonna be easy.

11. BiBiLife
    Badass

BiBiLife Still breathing
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,972 / 3 / -6
    Things would be fine if only Pearson would work *screams*

12. FTM
    Sarcastic

FTM Justin
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -1
    Pearson fucking sucks. If you put in the wrong type of quotation marks or not enough zeros after the decimal point, it tells yo yo got it wrong. Then you have to go bug the teacher that you Didn't do it wrong, perason is just being pearson again.

13. PokemonAnime
    Musical

PokemonAnime Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +240 / 0 / -0
    I was planning on going back to college to pursue a different career path... then Covid came along and I decided to put it off until things start going back to normal. My main reason is that I don't want to do math and science labs online. I know from past experience that I'm going to need quite a bit of math tutoring. Like a lot of other people, I do well academically just not when it comes to math.

The other thing is that I would like to interact with other students in person and get to know them. Distance learning taught me that you really don't get a chance to know the people in your classes well. They are basically just names that you never talk to outside of group projects.

I've done distance learning in the past, due to the fact that my hometown is quite rural and it is quite a drive to get to the nearest campus from there. In that situation distance learning was quite useful and I was incredibly grateful for it being available. Now I am living in a different town, so when I go back to school I would like to experience campus life and meet interesting new people. The town I live in now is another small and rural one but it is far more manageable to drive to a campus from.

I feel for all of you that are struggling with distance learning. It can be a frustrating experience to not be able to interact in person with professors/instructors when you come across issues or are having a rough time with a particular course. Those of you that are distance learning, keep pushing forward. You will make it and you will be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished. Keep in mind, the more difficult that something is the better it will feel when you reach your goal. :) 

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.