1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

(Possible trigger warning, and some cursing)

Discussion in 'Important life issues other than LGBT' started by River W., Oct 11, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
  1. River W.
    Jammie

River W. Dancing with myself <3
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,761 / 1 / -14
    So yesterday we had a school shooter drill at school, which is pretty normal nowadays if you're a student of any age in America, unfortunately. This is the third or fourth one we've ever done, so people know what to do, and people generally don't feel panicked about it anymore. It's just normal now, as disturbing as that is.

So, there's four bunker type areas, and depending on where you are when they announce the drill, you go into any one of those bunkers. I ended up in the one in the science lab, along with a whole bunch of freshmen. They aren't allowed to tell students whether it's a drill or not. Which really isn't an issue for us anyway since you can usually tell if it's a drill or not based on if the teachers seem panicked or not. Though, the downside to them not being allowed to tell us if it's real or not, is that kids are bound not to take it seriously unless you tell them straight up it's real. So since pretty much no body accept me and a couple others took the drill seriously, everyone else just treated it as a joke and talked really loud. There were even a couple kids taking snapchat stories of the whole thing. I guarantee you if it hadn't been a drill, and there actually was a active shooter in there yesterday, we all would've been shot since those dumb freshmen would've given our position away (note: I don't have anything again freshmen as a whole, just the annoying ones). I was tempted to yell at them to shut up, but then I realized I would just be part of the problem if I did that, so I just kept it to myself. Then at one point the teacher in charge of our group came in and quietly told everyone to stop talking and take the drill seriously. Then she called out one of the students that was being the loudest, and told her to wait outside because she was getting all her friends to be loud too. I thought that was the end of it, but not until her friends started quietly joking about how funny it would be if that girl got shot right then....

I don't exactly blame them since they're just dumb kids, but it really pissed me off when I heard them joking about their friend getting shot as if innocent kids getting shot is funny. It wouldn't be funny to them if it actually happened would it? But then it got me thinking. Why have we let school shootings be so normalized in America now? It's gotten so normal to the point where it's normal for kids to fear that they might get shot in school one day. It's gotten so normal to the point where kids literally joke about their friends getting shot, or themselves getting shot. It's gotten so normal that I sometimes forget just how fucked up it really is. Our country is so fucked right now that kids getting shot has been normalized. The moment we let this become normal was the moment we failed as a country. And the fact that I can't do anything other than complain about it is even worse. Our government is supposed to protect everyone and fix these kinds of issues, but instead we have kids dying in school shootings on a monthly basis, an idiot president, and a government that doesn't give a shit. It's disturbing.

Honestly I just can't wait till I'm out of school. At least then I won't have to worry about the possibility of getting shot everyday.

2. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,262 / 0 / -1
    It is a sad that shootings are so common place now that shooting drills have become as common place as tornado and fire drills. That it has gotten so bad that people especially kids are afraid of the very real possibility of a shooting. Then we have things like the following.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna918216

3. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,617 / 0 / -3
    It is awful that it has become so normal. My guess is your classmates who were joking about it were using humor as a way to cope with the situation. Even if they didn't seem distressed I'm guessing they were as it's an upseting thing. I'm grateful I graduated when I did before all of this started. I already have a ton of anxiety so if I was still a student I would be terrified to go to school. I hope you make it through the rest of your schooling okay. There are tons of schools in the country so the chances of yours getting shot at is pretty slim. I hope any anxiety surrounding school is manageable. Though having some anxiety makes sense given the current state of things. I just hope it doesn't ever take over for you. Anxiety took over for me and made it hard to learn for unrelated reasons.

4. Claire15
    Spaced

Claire15 Well-Known Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Its a total joke..
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 12, 2019 ---
    Agreed..!

5. Claire15
    Spaced

Claire15 Well-Known Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    The whole humanity is going crazy, And when they look around ( especially little kids) al they see is crazy and they feel its 'normal' .. Like if everybody in a place is crazy when they look at each other, its the norm It would feel normal.. Thats what happening on this planet right now..
    And its effecting little kids the most.. because they don't have any perspective, since they are born all they have known is craziness, its become very normal to them..
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 12, 2019 ---
    Fu*king Madhouse

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Thief King Bakura
    Spaced

Thief King Bakura I solenmly swear I am Up to no good.
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +4,584 / 0 / -6
    I'm no longer in high school and during the short 11 years (can't believe it's been that long already but I digress). Yeah them freshman in your school joking about such a thing as one of their friends getting shot...... Yeah that's fucked up....
    [​IMG]

Just the fact that shooter drills are being conducted like fire or tornado drills is fucked up. You're very right..you think so much like an adult that I forget you're in highschool sometimes. The government is indeed very fucked up, especially being run by the orange oompa loompa assclown and his assmonkeys in the white house and government. Don't get me started on them shitfucks. Anyway I digress again lol. ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Yeah, if I were you I would have told them fresh meats to shut the fuck up. But I don't blame you for biting your tongue. Shooting drills or an actual school shooting is no laughing matter. They wouldn't be laughing if one of them got shot for real. Trust me, no. Just no. Don't even get me started on the SnapCrap shit...put your phones away.... so stupid....ugh....
    [​IMG]

Yeah in a nutshell, I don't blame ya for being frustrated; with the freshman being stupid idiots, the government not doing more to protect our children so they don't have to worry about getting shot everyday, and other stuff I can't think of. Basically it's all a shit show....just hang in there as best you can..I'm sure you only have a few years left and you're outta there. Still, I can't imagine going through an active shooter drill. That sounds otherworldly to me but it's reality and our kids in school today go through it on a monthly basis probably....makes me really sad that this is "normal." It's never going to be normal to me....

7. Ash90

Ash90 Lurker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It is really sad that people see this like a joke. If that had occurred really, I am pretty sure they were the first to get panic.

8. Jianghu
    Zorro

Jianghu Chinese American cis gay dude
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Here's another way to look at it:

Who is behaving more irresponsibly - teenagers acting like clowns,

or politicians and "leaders" who refuse to act as deaths from mass shootings escalate year by year ?

Kids are dumbasses sometimes, it's part of growing up (if you'll forgive me). But Congress - what's their excuse ?

I'd like to see them go through active shooter drills several times a year. But wait... guns are PROHIBITED on the grounds of the US Capitol Building (even though unrestricted gun access supposedly makes us safer).

What does that tell you ?

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.