1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Online classes

Discussion in 'College/University' started by Junebug, Oct 24, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Junebug

Junebug Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1
    So I've been to the university of MN, morris. I was a physics major. The college was a nice place but I was struggling with the work and living on my own for the first time. I tried again at a small college a fairly short distance from my current hometown. It was better that time I guess, but I just wasn't ready, and the distance I had to travel to get there just made it more difficult. I want to try again with online classes, and it will be my last attempt. I'm gonna be moving into my own place soon, and I want to contine working full time, especially since my chances of recieving any sort of aid will likely be very low this time. I may have aspergers, but have never went through proper testing to diagnose it. I have always struggled with reading, even with books I loved. I really want to find the best program for me but the options seem so expansive. I'm planning on switching to computer science. I don't know which college I should look at or if I should consider a certification program as an alternative. I may also consider physics again or engineering after around a decade or so, with my reasoning for pursuing computer science now being that it would probably be easiest for me and could find decent work with just an associates degree. I'm in a bit of a mixed up state about all of it. If any of you have any relevant experience, i would love to hear it.

#1 Junebug, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,113 / 0 / -1
    I don't have much to add but I'm interested in this as well.

3. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,286 / 2 / -12
    I started working in a car radio repair shop, with knowledge that I had learned on my own. I found it too challenging that way so I took courses by mail. That was before the internet. I finished what was meant to be a two year course in one year, by staying home most of the time and working on it. That course, along with daily learning on the job, and a mentor friend who had extensive experience, got me through. But electronics is different from some work in that it has specialties within its own field; most people learn to work within a specific category or related categories of devices. Many other vocations are specialized that way also. I think you learn more and better with an online (or mail) course than in a college, but it can be more difficult, which may not be a bad thing; it may cause you to remember more and you can concentrate better. Self discipline is important.

4. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,113 / 0 / -1
    One of my many desires is to become certified in setting up computer and electronic equipment. Software is fun but I'm not that dedicated to it and it just doesn't offer me the same kind of satisfaction as something more physical. Setting up a office intranet or setting up a repeater for Telecom would be fun too.

5. Kaycee
    Pacman

Kaycee Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Honestly it might take you a bit to figure out what you truly want to do, take courses that truly appeal to you as it's easier to get yourself to do the work. Also rememebr it's okay to work at your own pace, don't overload yourself. However, if it doesn't work out this time I wouldn't just write off Post-Secondary education altogether. You just have to find the right path for you and it may not be a simple thing. Remember trades are always an option too. I hope you find something you love.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.