1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Nips or Nah?

Discussion in 'Transsexual' started by RuneBeau, Jan 17, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. RuneBeau
    Torn

RuneBeau Polyromantic Demisexual Trans Guy
    Moderator Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +549 / 0 / -0
    My hormone doctor just emailed me the name of my top surgery surgeon. I'm getting closer to surgery and it's time for me to think about what I want.

Something I keep going back and forth on is whether I want nipple grafts or not. I don't have much support irl and skin grafts require a lot of after care, sometimes they don't survive partly or entirely leaving them asymmetrical, since they are graphted back on they don't have sensation anymore than regular skin, I plan on getting a chest tattoo either way which can disguise scars/lack of nipples, but I'm worried that I could end up regretting if I decide not to get nipple grafts.

The top surgery picture is from a patient who went to the top surgeon I'll be seeing. He, the patient, said he believes the thick scarring he experienced was just how his body reacted and not to do with the surgeon's work. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. BiBiLife
    Loved

BiBiLife Forever in debt to your priceless advice.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,801 / 3 / -5
    That second tattoo is gorgeous

3. RuneBeau
    Torn

Ratings:
    +549 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, I love barn owls and the artwork is amazing!

4. eriffire
    Musical

eriffire Reliable Contributor
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    My instinct is to vote for nipples. Wow, there’s a sentence I’ve not used before.

I feel like, even if something happens during the healing process and they end up a bit asymmetrical, well, no one has a perfectly symmetrical body and you’ll be able to disguise that with your tattoo anyway.

Love the tattoos, the colours of the first one are awesome. I really need more; I only have one. If I had tons of money I’d be getting sleeves ASAP. I’d love some on my torso as well...and my legs....ooh, I’m getting cravings now!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. RuneBeau
    Torn

Ratings:
    +549 / 0 / -0
    That's true. I'm just worried I won't be able to do the after care for it on my own since I would have to wrap and unwrap my chest while having a limited range of motion with my arms.

I love tattoos. I've been thinking of becoming a tattoo artist for a while but it's expensive to get into. An apprenticeship alone is 5-10 thousand.

6. eriffire
    Musical

eriffire Reliable Contributor
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    I guess you could speak with the surgeon on the matter of looking after yourself post-op. I imagine there must be a multitude of people who’ve had to go it alone. It might be very awkward/difficult, but worth it if you get the results you really want.

Wow, as much as that?! That’s crazy!

7. RuneBeau
    Torn

Ratings:
    +549 / 0 / -0
    Definitely I'll have to see what the doctor says some doctors don't offer top surgery without nipple grafts.

Yep and while you're doing small easy tattoos on people for the first 6 months the shop keeps the money from it. When you can start getting paid it's at a discount for being less experienced so most people have to work 2 jobs the first few years.

8. Array

Array Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on being able to get that done soon! :)  I feel like the nips are really personal preference, if you're getting a chest tattoo regardless you might not miss them. But if you think the lack thereof might add to your dysphoria or something later on it would definitely be worth it to try to keep them I feel like.

Also, love the tattoo ideas <3

9. RuneBeau
    Torn

Ratings:
    +549 / 0 / -0
    I have a lot of dysphoria over my nips now so I'm trying to decide if I'll feel more dysphoric with or without them. There's more scaring and risk involved with nipple grafts and a trans guy said it makes up $3,000 of the top surgery bill. If my insurance doesn't follow through that's a great deal of money to pay for pigmented bumps that might not survive the healing process.

I'll have to see what my surgeon says but the thought of opting to go without grafts is definitely tempting.

10. Array

Array Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I didn't realize there was so much cost and risk involved just with those..this has me rethinking what I might want to do for myself too now ><

I also have dysphoria about mine, but I had heard you could get them resized and just planned to do that, I never considered that they might not even make it tho..maybe I'll just get a chest tattoo too

11. RuneBeau
    Torn

Ratings:
    +549 / 0 / -0
    It's certainly loads to think about. Depending on the type of procedure used they can keep blood flow to the nipples and there's considerably less risk involved. But the most often complaints I hear from trans guys are nipple/areola related. Sometimes they get put on too low or close together, they can stretch out during the healing process, and it's common for the border of the graft to partialy die leaving irregular scarring.

Some things you can get revision on though, like areola reduction if they stretch and tattoos to even out the borders.

12. Jianghu
    Zorro

Jianghu chinese american gay dude
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +619 / 0 / -0
    Wow... so much to learn and digest from this thread. Thanks for all the information and sharing here. I knew there was a lot involved, but the details are considerable - like the risk of ending up with asymmetric nipples !?

Having tatts will be awesome (I have five of them, but not badass enough to do my chest.) Good luck Rune and keep us posted.

PS - those tatts look expen$$$ive and you might have few chances to do it right. so in addition to surgery costs, tatt costs for a good artist.

#12 Jianghu, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.