1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Did You Know Need browsing and email privacy? Read this.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Barefoot, Jul 31, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Barefoot
    Daring

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,671 / 2 / -12
    There are some browsers and email clients (apps) that can be installed and used on an SD card or USB stick. They are browsers and other apps that have a portable version. Firefox is one and there are others. You can even set up an entire suite of portable apps on an SD card or USB stick, including email. Go to this site: https://portableapps.com/ You can set up your own apps on a USB storage device, use them and when you're done, close them, remove the USB storage device and take them with you. Everything, bookmarks, history, emails, messages, etc., go with you when you remove the USB storage device and take it with you, ready for your next use. No need to erase or delete anything.
    Also, Firefox (either regular or portable) has a feature called Forget. You click it and it wipes everything on a timeline of your choosing; 5 minutes, 2 hours or 24 hours.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Butterfly88
    Alone

Butterfly88 88 Times the Fun
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +548 / 0 / -2
    There's also Google Chrome's Incognito mode, which isn't entirely invisible but the cookies don't stick around.

3. Barefoot
    Daring

Barefoot Casual Observer

Ratings:
    +1,671 / 2 / -12
    Ya, but I won't use anything by Google. Too many reports about Google collecting data, even through their apps. I have an iPhone. I trust Apple; different business model. They make money selling hardware. Google (Android) phones are cheaper because they make money selling ads and tracking your interests. Firefox has a private mode too. I set my default search to DuckDuckGo, on my phone (iPhones come set that way) and my PC. No ads, more relevant search results and no pages half full of ads when what you're looking for is info; not a place to buy something.

• List
  4. Butterfly88
    Alone

Ratings:
    +548 / 0 / -2
    Good point, but not everyone has an Iphone.

5. Barefoot
    Daring

Barefoot Casual Observer

Ratings:
    +1,671 / 2 / -12
    You can still use DuckDuckGo and third party apps. Helps some. There's Firefox for Android, quite secure, helps stop tracking, syncs bookmarks with Firefox for PC.

• List
  6. Butterfly88
    Alone

Ratings:
    +548 / 0 / -2
    Oh okay, good to know.

7. Barefoot
    Daring

Barefoot Casual Observer

Ratings:
    +1,671 / 2 / -12
    DuckDuckGo has their own secure mobile browser now too. Check your app store. It's available for iPhone so probably for Android also. They're all about security on the web.

• List

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.