1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Meaning of Life

Discussion in 'General (Off Topic Lounge)' started by Dark Magician, Aug 14, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 17 users.
  1. Dark Magician

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone given consideration to the meaning of life? Like, what’s the point of it all? Why? How should we go about achieving this meaning?
    (Humor me :D .)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,771 / 0 / -32
    I'm curious -- why do you think this needs a "Trigger Warning?" To keep from diluting the value of the Trigger Warning, it should only be used for posts that have the potential to trigger people sensitive to the issues being discussed in the post. For this reason, I am going to remove the warning.
    Sincerely,
    Audry Leigh: LGBTchat Senior Staff

3. Dark Magician

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That’s fine. That’s your propagative. But I felt that this was a question that might bother people a bit to think about. Existential dread is a thing. I think you should have maybe asked prior to having just out right done that. I can defend my decision to place that warning. It’s more than just a simple question. Or it should be.

4. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl

Ratings:
    +2,771 / 0 / -32
    You're right, it's far from a trivial question, and one that I have had the privilege of discussing with some of the finest minds of the 20th century, but in this context, being triggered refers to people being thrust into seriously dangerous states of mind, such as becoming imminently suicidal, or indulging in serious self harm, both of which are serious problems for many of our members. Here, a trigger is something that is said that involves an uncontrollable and inexplicable urgr to do something that is life threatening or can result in serious and irreparable damage to a person's psyche or physical health. Pondering existential concepts is not something that a person would carry to such extremes, as such pondering is within their control -- something they can stop if it becomes uncomfortable, whereas a trigger is true to it's namesake, and starts an unstoppable chain of events that can and often does result in extremely regrettable consequences. Hence the need to keep the term, as it is used here, true to the meaning it has to those of our members who suffer from mental or emotional conditions that place them on the razors edge. I appreciate that you could have defended your use of the term in the context in which you meant it, but it is the responsibility of the staff to keep this site a safe place for even the most vulnerable amongst us. Being new here, and lacking the knowledge and experience of staff. It is for this reason that staff decisions are final, and not subject to discussion. I'm sorry if that seems harsh or unfair, but we have been at this a long time, and have a stellar record when it comes to keeping our members off the ledge, and pulling them back in if they do end up there.

Hugs,
    Audry Leigh

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Bornunderabadsign
    Gloomy

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,678 / 0 / -3
    I think the life in itself is rather meaningless. Sure we have the biological drive to live so that means we must fuel our bodies so life's meaning in the individual level could be that from the time of conception till the day we die we life because we a biologically driven to survive. A majority of people are driven by the need for company and sex so there is a social and desire to create more people. I think everything else is simply a matter of what we need and/or want. I don't think there is any one meaning of life it is different for everyone as we all seek our own version of that meaning.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Whynot
    Cool

Whynot Dedicative Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -5
    For me, I believe in past lives. I think our souls go through many life times until we learn the lessons needed for that specific soul.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88

Ratings:
    +1,925 / 0 / -3
    I believe in God and sometimes I think maybe he was bored so he created the world. As far as the meaning of life, it's whatever you want it to be. For me it's trying to be a helpful person, to hopefully leave the world a better place, even if just in a small way for those around me.

8. Bornunderabadsign
    Gloomy

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,678 / 0 / -3
    My theory of what happens after death is similar to yours in that I do believe in reincarnation because if something like the soul exists then it must follow some kind of principal for example energy cannot be created or destroyed which is the First Law of Thermodynamics. I belief that souls are a form of energy that may not whole exist on our plane of existence.

I'm not sure if there is any lesson to be learned. I think that is where my belief differs from yours.

As for things like memories of a past life well I could believe that deep down the soul stuff that we inherited from someone else may have a vague memory of the physical form it had before. Or it could be that we are not having memories of a past life linear to our own but is rather us taping into a collective unconscious that is a more or less archive of everything we have ever known and will know.

9. Pixie Poodle
    Wishful

Pixie Poodle Pixie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Hello Dark Magician,
    Although I am predisposed to agree with anyone named Dark Magician, I have to side with Audrey. The opening question was so straight forward and short with even a 'Humor me' smiley face that I don't see it with the gravitas of a Trigger Warning. Those always make me involuntarily go "Oh no What's wrong" when I see them.

Personally I think most reasonable beings contemplate it from time to time and it is my opinion that the good ones come to a similar conclusion already expressed here, Do good.

I don't think the question/concept really bothers many unless they are either paid to contemplate it or think they can have a career making money off it. It seems just too heavy to deal with most of the time. It is far better to lift it up, hold it, examine it, maybe talk about it for a while and then put that sucker down before you hurt your back.

I really like the fact that you brought some people out of the woodwork to say they believe in Reincarnation. I outed myself about that in some previous post (can't remember which one) with words similar to Bornunderabadsign.

To sum up my answers to your 4 questions.
    Yes.
    To do good.
    Not becaise somebody is keeping track but because it is the most satisfying thing to do. and
    Do Good.
    Pixie

10. Funk Pirate
    Horny

Funk Pirate The poly, naughty bi-trans futa ^^ happy to chat
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +616 / 0 / -0

~Fiona.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. Bornunderabadsign
    Gloomy

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,678 / 0 / -3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit
    Former Staff Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 0 / -9
    You naughty bi-trans futa, you. ;) 

13. Funk Pirate
    Horny

Funk Pirate The poly, naughty bi-trans futa ^^ happy to chat
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +616 / 0 / -0
    I just couldn't resist xD plus what Bornunderabadsign posted is very interesting ^^ wonder when that was published, as I could not see that on the site?

Honestly though with regards to my thoughts, I have so many ideas it gets a bit long winded xD

~Fiona.

14. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 0 / -9
    Oooer yes - I missed that cos we posted at almost the same time. Spooky!

15. Thief King Bakura
    Caffeine Fix

Thief King Bakura One Thief King to rule them all....

Ratings:
    +3,840 / 0 / -7
    The Dark Magician strikes again with his wisdom.

What is the meaning of life? That actually is a good question that I honestly don't know how to answer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I mean it could be 42 lol or we could name the Earth Bob XD but for real I don't know.

If I were to try to answer, I would say the meaning of life is what you make of it. It would be the strength to get through each day, looking to the sun, trying to find hope and the courage to chase down and work towards a passion or dream. It's waking up each day and doing your best to exist, even if you're not exactly feeling well at that moment. Yet you keep going somehow, searching for your purpose, your meaning, and why you have come as far as you have. There honestly isn't any one answer of the meaning of life. It's what you make it. If you say your life is terrible, then it's going to be terrible. If you say I'm going to do my best each day and make the best of what I can, then your life will be meaningful. It's building meaningful relationships with friends and family, doing your best each day, finding the joy in the little things like looking up at the sky and appreciating everything around you. Something like that. That's all I got.

16. Guarani
    Happy

Guarani Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +201 / 1 / -0
    "We are vistors on this planet,
    We are here for ninety or one hundred years at the very most.
    During this period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives.
    If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." Dalai Lama

As a species, we are bad for the planet, let´s face it. And there is no meaning in life itself. But you can mean something in someone elses life while you are here and that can make you pretty happy.

As a person that has been close to death more than once, I have been thinking about life. I can tell you, nothing makes you appreaciate life more than when you get second changes.

17. Romeo
    Cheerful

Romeo Just hate to be alone
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    When I came in Japan, I was just by myself, alone, without any friends and I had so much time to think about the meaning of life XD So for me life is just not wasting time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  18. Soheil
    Sunshine

Soheil Linguaphile...
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -1
    For me life is a gift from universe. A very special one. So i can enjoy each second of it. Also try to make the world a better place.
    So that's it if you can call it meaning. I doubt that, If you look for a meaning like what religions say! I am open to religions' perspectives, but that's not how i think for now.

#18 Soheil, Aug 17, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 3:34 PM
  19. zen

zen Curator, Royal Academy of Inappropriate Handshake
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +944 / 0 / -8
    How about making people laugh with silly jokes in as many occasions as possible?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Thespis
    Balanced

Thespis Blithe Spirit

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 0 / -9
    I'll go with that one. :D 

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.