1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Pansexual Looking for friends to talk to

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by samuiintheinaka, Aug 2, 2020 at 2:02 AM.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. samuiintheinaka
    Dreaming

samuiintheinaka Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, nice to meet you all! I'm Abbie, from New Zealand. I love adventures and going for long walks. Love to learn new things. Have a dream of going to the US to eat a giant slice of pizza. Am going through a Madonna phase right now.
    I've had to uproot my life in Japan and move back to my home town in the last few months because of COVID, and am feeling really lonely without my community and friends nearby. Would love to meet and get to know some lovely people here. Looking forward to seeing you ^^

2. a_purple_one
    Magical

a_purple_one Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hi Abbie! Sad to hear about you feeling lonely, but hey, u still can connect with friend through internet, I'm playing some online games like scribble with friends. Know it isn't the same, but it's something.

And Japan, wow, what was your life there? a friend went there on February and from the pictures it was really something awesome. Soon I'll be going for a WH in Australia, so I'll take the first opportunity to go to Japan.

3. samuiintheinaka
    Dreaming

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the message!! Yeah, we have the internet... but people in Japan are so busy with work and other things, with the time difference it is hard to catch up. Love that you're playing scribble. That's really cute :) 
    What would you like to know specifically about Japan? It's so different there, and hard to describe in a sentence! If you are in the big cities, it's always busy, there are people everywhere. If you're in the smaller villages, it's much more quiet and laid back. The culture is very different for sure, there's so much to learn there.
    That's awesome that you're planning on doing a WH! Where are you planning to go? I hope that Ms. Rona chills out soon so you can get there!!

4. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Daddy Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Last time I was in Japan was 1991. My submarine pulled into Yakosuka. It was our home port whilst we were in that part of the Pacific. One of the best times I had was catching the train into Tokyo with a bunch of shipmates. There was very little English on the directory signs in the train stations then, and I remember standing there struggling trying to figure out which train. We asked for help from this little old man and he basically told us to stay where we were and left swiftly. Next thing you know he is dragging what I am guessing is his grandson over to us. The grandson spoke pretty fair English. He pointed out which train and more importantly which Japanese writing was Tokyo and which was Yokosuka, so we could find our way back. He thought I was hilarious when I verified that the "House on stilts, with four windows and an aerial" was Yokosuka.

Anyway, welcome again!

5. a_purple_one
    Magical

a_purple_one Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm going to Melbourne for my WH, and Ms. Rona hahahha I had to look that one up. Millenial's time has ended xD, welcome the Zs.

And I do have question about Japan: Do u speak Japanese? How hard (or easy) is it to learn japanese? Do they speak english well? How are the japanese with foreigners? Also, I have this image of the japanese generally being shy and introverted, are they rly like this? They sound workaholic, I think that one is true. Also, what's their relation with their neighbouring countries?

6. samuiintheinaka
    Dreaming

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow, were you in the navy? That sounds like quite an adventure! Did you stay there for a long time? I lived near a base while I was there, but never got to go for a visit unfortunately!!
    Everyone in Japan is very helpful, aren't they!!
    Where are you living now?

7. samuiintheinaka
    Dreaming

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When are you planning on going to Melbs? Sounds like heaps of fun, it's a great city!
    I couldn't speak Japanese before going, but I lived in the real countryside and noone could speak English so I was forced to learn. It was a great experience learning from scratch in the country! It took me about 8months of full immersion before I could speak well enough to hold a conversation.
    If you're in Tokyo or other places which have a lot of tourism, they will be able to help you in English. Japanese people are people. Some are shy, some are outgoing. They tend to have a lot more obligations at work, and so do work longer hours.

8. Nobodycon

Nobodycon Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hello Abbie, nice to somewhat get to know u~. New Zealand is one of the places I actually wrote down on my bucket list of places I want to go to as well as Japan. If you’d like to talk a bit, feel free and message me or something. Looking forward to it :) )

9. a_purple_one
    Magical

a_purple_one Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I was supposed to fly to Mel yesterday, but Ms Rona had other plans in mind, so my ticket was left open, and now I think I'll be able to travel on January. fml

And 8 months with no previous knowledge, that's scary and amazing! Did you had helpful people teaching you regularly?

10. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Daddy Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I was in the Navy for six years, on a submarine for four. The first two years in the Navy were going to school. I was only in port in Japan, for a few days at a time, so I was only able to get out and about to explore a very little, but travel expense was non-existent, only weeks under water. :D  Mostly we were out to sea patrolling.

11. samuiintheinaka
    Dreaming

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I cannot begin to imagine what life in a submarine is like!!! How often do you get to come out? It sounds so claustrophobic.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:50 PM ---
    Yeah, you definitely don't want to be there now. They've just re-entered lock down as of yesterday... Scary stuff aye. I hope that you can go in January!!
    No I just forced myself to do only Japanese. At first, I got by with gesture but as time went by I picked it up. I stopped watching English TV, stopped reading English and just did everything in Japanese.

#11 samuiintheinaka, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:48 PM
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 10:50 PM
  12. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Daddy Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Hehe, it's not that bad. The nuclear ones are pretty big inside. Over 300 feet long and three levels high. Kind of like being in a small building. A building without windows that moves and tilts at different angles.

They only let us out on a new moon and we had to wear garlic and be spritzed with holy water before we left the boat. :skype-rofl: 

I was on a fast attack, which meant we were out to sea (underwater) for weeks, sometimes months, depending on the mission or patrol. The longest I have been submerged is 91 days. When in port, we lived off of the sub in barracks when we didn't have a watch day. Watch days were 24 hours and the watch section stayed on the boat. I was thee section so every three days we were in port I had to aboard for 24 hours. That is kind of how it worked without going into fine detail.

13. samuiintheinaka
    Dreaming

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have so many questions....!!! hahaha nuclear submarines? Like they have nuclear weapons inside... or they're run by nuclear energy? In NZ we have no nuclear anything so I have no knowledge about it at all!
    That sounds giant!!! But then the next question is... what do you do about ventilation? I was thinking that it must be smelly after someone cooks garlic or something... and it would linger until you could open up again... I can't imagine!!
    Are there windows to look outside? Can you see if you are under the water? How deep down do you generally stay?
    Lastly, how did you keep entertained for 91 days under the sea?

14. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Daddy Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Yes, nuclear powered. Ventilation is recirculated through activated charcoal that remove a lot of smell, through scrubbers and burners that remove carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. Lastly oxygen is generated as needed. Don't get me wrong boats (submarines) have a peculiar funk affectionately call "boat smell" that is mostly oil from the engine room.

Nope no windows. The only way to see out was the periscope. Depth is calculated by pressure. Seeing underwater is done by listening (sonar). Depth is classified, but greater than 400ft.

Entertainment underway? For me A LOT of reading. At nighttime we burned flicks (watched movies). Both were done only when off watch (off work). There was also cards, mostly Spades and Hearts was played. Back then small computer games didn't exist and we damn sure didn't have small smart phones. Heck, window 3.1 wasn'teven out yet. We had computers of coarse, but they were mostly MS-DOS. I had a laptop. It weighd about 15 lbs and had an 11" monotone amber screen. I think it had a MASSIVE 100Mb hard drive. I used it mostly as a word processor to write and keep a journal. No World Wide Web, no personal emails. "The dark ages" :D 

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.