1. $1. For $1 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to make a donation. Thank you!

Look like a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Lesbian' started by Indigoheart, May 19, 2017.  |  Print Topic

$1 - Support the site and go ad free for life for $1. Click here to make a donation.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Indigoheart

Indigoheart Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I only recently built up enough confidence to come out to my family and close friends. Nevertheless some of my friends still don't know that I'm a lesbian and I find it hard to introduce the topic without context...Thankfully I received a lot of understanding and acceptance so far. However, everytime I confide in someone they are taken aback and I have repeatedly been told that I "don't look like a lesbian". But what does that mean? To be honest I would be quite grateful if one could identify lesbians by their appearance for I never know if a girl is straight or not and it would make things a lot easier for me to hit on girls..
    I'm not overly girlish but still I like flower prints, wearing a pretty dress every now and then or even putting on a bit of make up for special occasions. So I get really annoyed with people who only have that stereotypical image of a very masculine lesbian in mind.
    Are there any thoughts on this topic? I would really like to know how others feel about this!

2. Pinktruck

Pinktruck Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Most people do have that picture in their mind of what they think lesbians look & act like, manly.

3. CoffeeUnicorn34
    Badass

CoffeeUnicorn34 Bakura◆Your Friendly Neighborhood Badass
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -1
    Um yeah. Ignore those people. First off I have gotten that "you don't look like a lesbian" from my mother. So let me tell you that there is "No certain look for a lesbian". I will also say that there are many different "looks for lesbians". You want to know the secret?.....

Guess what? There isn't one. The look you choose is up to you. There are feminine lesbians that call themselves "lipstick lesbians" or "femme" , the more "masculine" lesbians that call themselves "butch". But if you don't feel comfortable in these categories that is totally fine too. I don't describe myself as particularly "lady like", in fact i think more like a man most days but feel comfortable in my female body for the most part.

Style and identity are in the eye of the beholder. You are whoever you want to b, you are you. Or if you want to be a bit more obvious, you could wear like a rainbow wristband/ring/necklace/scarf. I got a rainbow ring and scarf. The ring I never take off. Those could be little subtle hints at your sexuality.

[​IMG]

And those people that you came out to probably might need a bit of time. But I don't think their response was very nice. I'm sure they didn't mean to act that way but still. Not really ok. Again there is no one look for a gay person or lesbian. We look like ordinary people but really we're fabulous as hell. So yeah. You fabulous honey. Hope this helps some.

Offering virtual hugs. You're fabulous.
    [​IMG]