1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Just a quick question

Discussion in 'Transgender' started by lighthouse123, Jan 12, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. lighthouse123

lighthouse123 Lurker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to exercise in a binder? like is it safe? or are there any alternatives, and also can you were a binder for longer then 8 hours a day or can that damage your chest?
    thanks

2. ShanePierce
    Depressed

ShanePierce Even my boyfriend thinks i'm gay...
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    It is not safe at all. Sports bras and compression sports gear are what you can get but do not wear a binder while doing physical activity, it's very dangerous

3. Sir A.G
    Artistic

Sir A.G Transgender Guy
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 1 / -5
    Yes, you can exercise in a binder, it just depends on how well you can breath and move in it. Some people wear a binder a size up for when they are exercising. I've also heard that the FLAVNT binders are good for breathing in, with the slight downside of them not binding as well as, say, a gc2b binder. I'm planning on getting a FLAVNT binder for when i exercise. I'd just like to say though that it's isn't at all recommended to exercise in one, but if you, like myself, can't exercise without one, make sure it's easier a looser one that the size you normally wear or a binder that gives more room to breath in.

I sometimes bind for my than 8 hours a day, although sometimes I'll start hurting and decide to take it off. It's best that you wear your binder for a little as possible, and if it starts to hurt to take it off straight away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  4. SwordArts

SwordArts Well-Known Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I do intensive sport and martial arts in a binder every single day and have done since I came out last May. I even compete, do intensive squad training and weekend long seminar in one. It’s not recommended but it’s not as dangerous as everyone says. However I would say be selective about the binder you do exercise in. Don’t wear the one that flattens you the most but restricts your breathing the most. Wear one that isn’t quite as restrictive. Ease yourself into it gradually, assume that for a few weeks (maybe longer) it will affect your performance. You will heat up FAR more. So make sure someone knows you are wearing one. If you are going to go exercise in a binder, absolutely make sure you give yourself other times when you aren’t wearing it. It will make exercise harder, even once you are used to it.

As for how long you can wear it, again once you are used to it, you can go over 8 hours but again it’s not recommended. I regularly wear mine for 12-15 hours without any problems. My longest continual stretch was 22 hours and that left me in a lot of pain (circumstances didn’t allow me to take it off).

For both these points, make sure it’s a good quality binder.

I should add (incase it is different for other people), I was already extremely active and physically fit before I started to bind and was already very used to exercise.

5. SwordArts

SwordArts Well-Known Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Just want to add, if you do exercise in a binder and it is causing you pain, TAKE IT OFF!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.