1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Is This Considered Gatekeeping?

Discussion in 'Transgender' started by GoodLuck_Tuck, Nov 13, 2017.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. GoodLuck_Tuck
    Meh

GoodLuck_Tuck They/Them
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So (as seen in my previous posts), I have terrible top dysphoria and want surgery ASAP. My parents have gone from saying wait until you're 24 (see this post if you are confused) to saying (after a conversation two months ago) wait until next year and then we'll see where we're at. This is still very vague. I know that once I have top surgery (which I've wanted for about 2-3 years now), I'll be a much happier person.

My (quick) question, is this a form of "gatekeeping" (which is a term I've just recently discovered)?

2. ShauntSerelu
    Balanced

ShauntSerelu I'm Juliette. Trans girl. Love me <3
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 0 / -1
    Gatekeeping is performed by the therapists who are supposed to be giving access to transitioning to the people who need it the most but only give it to trans people who will best fit into the sexist society (meaning matches typical gender stereotypes)

3. Missmissy griffin
    Magical

Missmissy griffin Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    ^^^^^ what she said. No your parents are just hoping you're going to change your mind in a year or so. Gee why do they want you to wait till 24, that seems a tad long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.