1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Is it worthwhile to study computer software and hardware?

Discussion in 'Vocational' started by DrivenByHope, Apr 21, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. DrivenByHope
    Balanced

DrivenByHope When the eighth played his piece revealed light
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -1
    I've been intrigued by computers software & hardware since I had a Windows 98 computer as a kid I liked taking the hard drive apart to see the parts & components inside it. Five years ago I passed level one and level two computing course after being kicked out of high school I passed with straight A's I was the first one in 13 years to do that the tutor told me since then I've been reading about super computers components like the parallel processing vs serial processing I want to study for a degree in computing then start studying more about supercomputers to hopefully one day to have better understanding of them and build one myself and if successful keep making faster and better. Is this worthwhile? been told by people I'm not good enough to do this or I'd just fail.

2. Tzap

Tzap Reliable Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +643 / 0 / -0
    Any personal interest that can be transformed to a career is worth persuing. You did well at it in the past so take it further if that's what you want and prove your doubters wrong.

3. DrivenByHope
    Balanced

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -1
    I've been planning this for ages to be able to build a better version of a supercomputer I got a reasonable understanding of ordinary components, parts & software of a computer and some knowledge of supercomputers if I could build one to outpace that with upgraded parallel processing unit and better software possibilities are endless of what one can do it. It will take a long time to do it and a lot of trial and error getting correct components to run smoothly I just hope it's all worthwhile.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm speaking Russian to you I have plans to be able to pull this off one day.

#3 DrivenByHope, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  4. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,020 / 0 / -14
    Forget building a super computer on your own. Unless you have a very, very rich relative willing to bankroll you the cost of parts alone will put an end to your efforts. On the other hand a career in IT does seem right for you BUT be careful enrolling in any formal academic course unless you're certain you can cope with the discipline. Also be aware Silicon Valley employees, such as Apples/IBM etc working as temps on contract are treated like sh*t by most IT companies.

Have a look at where quantum computing is heading if you’re really inerested in supercomputers. If the technical problems with quantum computing are overcome all existing and some planned supercomputers will become obsolete overnight.

5. DrivenByHope
    Balanced

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -1
    I'd never work for a company like Apple I know how they treat their employees I want to be able to build a computer with certain modifications to it I'm not sure how to explain the idea behind it but seeing technology evolve from when I was a kid till today I'm just hoping it could work.

6. AudryLeigh
    Malnourished

AudryLeigh Transsexual Lesbian
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +4,010 / 0 / -40
    You'd be playing in a very big, very tough, very cutthroat, very unfriendly sandbox. It used to be great fun. I retired 20 years ago from a very significant position in the word of computers. I made a lot of money, If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. And no amount of money or dancing girls or anything else would get me to go back into today's mess. It used to be an art -- I won't say what it is now. Maybe in the world of games it's different (different culture maybe???). If you can be the best in a little tiny but crucial thing, you can do well. If they need it done, and nobody else does it well, you're golden. Otherwise, it's a weasel race. Just my opinion. Forget hardware unless you can raise at least a million, start up capital. In hardware, you really would be competing with giants who would just spend you right out of existence if you did any good. Sorry, I have bad memories. Talk to other people,

7. mjay

mjay Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2
    It's worthwhile learning about computers. It was my initial interest as a kid and grew up messing with computers, which led into knowing the internet and actually getting into college to study IT but fate had other plans for me. I'm a microbiologist now and pretty much surrounded by machines primarily operated through computers. It gave me that edge, our entire department relies on me for immediate troubleshooting when the IT personnel is either busy or just being lazy to respond to our requests.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Tapatalk

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.