1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Is it valid for a cisgender, hetero female to identify as "androgynous"?

Discussion in 'Agender/Non-Binary/Fluid' started by Lauren_lil_lion, Jun 29, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Lauren_lil_lion
    Curious

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am a cisgender female and I go by she/her pronouns. But ever since I was really young I was a huge tomboy. I remember being young and wishing I was a boy, but as I grew up I learned about gender identities and I realized I am forsure cisgender. Im 21 now, and I have really immersed myself into LGBTQ+ culture and lately I feel like I am not only an ally but I truly do feel connected to the community on a deeper level. So I have been doing lots of research and I always felt a connection with the term "androgynous", I feel like it really captures the essence of how I dress and act. Some times I like to act very feminine but other times, almost like a switch has gone off, and I feel more masculine characteristics in myself. And as far as the way I dress, yeah I definitely dress right in the middle between feminine and masculine. But part of me feels like identifying as "androgynous" isnt even valid? Like I never see anyone talking about that or identifying as that, so I just dont want to be offensive if I start going out and being like "yeah im androgynous therefore im part of the LGBTQ community" just for someone to be like "youre dumb that not a real thing". Because I dont feel comfortable with they/them pronouns, or he/him. as well, im also straight, so I just feel like if I try this out people will think im full of sh*t or something, but I really do feel a connection with the term "androgynous" as well as what it means. it feels right. ALL that to say, if anyone has any input or thought please let me know, I am open to any and all comments (but nothing mean bc im not trying to offend anyone). Thanks beautiful people!

2. Yoon Sihoo
    Depressed

Yoon Sihoo Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lauren_lili_lion, you have every right to identify yourself as an androgynous and it will be valid. You are what you identify with. Androgynous people are exist and I'm sure that you will have the opportunity to talk with them on this site – you are not alone

~Sihoo

3. Rinxie
    Wishful

Rinxie Just A Nobody
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I think even a cis-het person who is simply gender nonconforming should belong in the community.

And while I've never heard of anyone identifying as androgynous (not saying nobody does; I'm just not personally aware of it), if that's the term you feel describes you, then you should go ahead with it.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.