1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Is it okay for a friend to say being gay is a choice?

Discussion in 'Gay' started by Harry Matthews, Oct 25, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 10 users.
  1. Harry Matthews

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey guys, I was just wondering on what your opinion/reaction would be if one of your friends said to you that being gay is a choice? What would you do?

2. r3gulator3

r3gulator3 Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I have a friend who believes that you may be born with the desire but it’s your choice to act on it. Is that what your saying or that it’s completely your choice?

A lot of Christian folks now a days because of science will say sure your born that way but it’s your choice to act on it. Ok whatever, your beliefs structure doesn’t effect me so we agree to disagree.

If it’s the latter choice you can try to educate but I doubt it will go far. Most people just don’t want to hear it if they are that convicted. I say if you want to keep your friend and they aren’t badgering you about it, just let it be. Time can possibly change things.

“Being gay is like glitter, it never goes away.” -Lady Gaga-

3. River W.
    Jammie

River W. Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey... stuff
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,637 / 1 / -9
    Just ignore it for now. If it comes up again, either talk to them about it, or just stop being friends with them. Personally, if a friend said that to me, I wouldn't say I didn't want to be friends with them anymore right away. I'd just slowly start hanging around them less and less.

4. angel70
    Supportive

angel70 The Old Guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +4,359 / 1 / -31
    Have you asked him why he thinks certain people would choose to be gay? It certainly doesn't make life any easier! You also might ask if he remembers when he chose to be straight. Was he presented with different options and called upon to make a selection? Was it a difficult choice? ;) 

5. Jayme82
    Movie Buff

Jayme82 Devoted Ambassador
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 0 / -3
    I would ask them why they feel this way it may not be out of hatred but of ignorance or how thier family raised them so definitely get to the bottom of it
    If they are uneducated on the matter maybe you can educate them but if they are steadfast on its a choice being friends with them very well could be problematic so be prepared not to stay friends with them
    I hope all goes well and you can figure things out

6. Larry45
    Benevolent

Larry45 Reliable Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -1
    If it was a choice I would be straight. It makes life easier. As all of you know, there is nothing I can do about my sexuality. It’s ok, I’ve embraced it. At least internally

7. Butterfly88
    Artistic

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -2
    You could try asking them when they chose to be straight. May get them to think about how silly that is.

8. mask1985
    Dreaming

mask1985 Shy bi guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 0 / -2
    I'd politely show them the error in their thinking and if they still didn't agree we probably wouldn't be friends much longer.

9. zen

zen Curator, Royal Academy of Inappropriate Handshake
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +626 / 0 / -2
    You can tell your friend "Only uneducated and arrogant people would jump to such conclusion based on unscientific fake news or meaningless belief or wishful thinking. Unless you've been gay or expert neuroscientist/psychologist, you should stop assuming things you know nothing about."

10. Mosha de Lyon

Mosha de Lyon Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know the details of your situation but I had a friend once who said being gay was a choice. He was Muslim and refused to change his mind. Needless to say we weren't friends much longer after that.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.