1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Illegal to be gay?

Discussion in 'Gay' started by Gay guy, Jul 30, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Gay guy

Gay guy Well-Known Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -2
    I don’t understand why when gay Olympians compete in countries where it’s illegal to be gay, why don’t they get arrested? Obviously I don’t want that to happen but when you’ve got Olympians like Gus Kenworthy, Tom Daley etc. who are out and proud and openly gay, everybody is well aware they’re gay because of the media attention they have around them then why don’t they get arrested on the spot as soon as they land in these countries?

2. Barefoot
    Daring

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 2 / -12
    Probably because they have diplomatic protection from their home country as everyone does. It would cause a diplomatic mess.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. AliceR
    No Mood

AliceR Reliable Advisor
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +900 / 0 / -2
    I would assume they don't get arrested because that would bring too much international attention to the atrocities happening in said countries. Also, it would become a real diplomatic issue where other countries would be forced to react. It's all international hypocrisy, really. As long as the athletes don't act on their orientation, they remain rather "safe," and everyone pretends nothing is going on. They act as if there are no issues with human rights in those places.
    Now if they started kissing on camera, ect, I'm not sure how that would go down.

4. Gay guy

Gay guy Well-Known Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -2
    I think certain people handled it well during the World Cup there was some lgbt visibility in Russia, despite some messy controversy also. And of course there was paddy power in the U.K, a betting shop that donated large amounts of money to lgbt charities for every goal Russia scored. It’s mad how people can just turn a blind eye to human rights violations

5. R-K

R-K Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -1
    It's for the same reason black people could compete in Nazi Germany. The Olympics are supposed to be about the sport not the politics. Most countries try to at least put their differences aside when it comes to international competition, try to stop politics interfering with the game (of course sometimes it does interfere). Like people in the thread have said, it would be a diplomatic nightmare if a host country arrested a foreign athlete.

6. Dru0511
    Nerdy

Dru0511 Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes, living in Canada, I forget how blessed I am to be in a country that doesn’t actively discriminate against the LGBT community.

I always admire individuals who are able to use their spotlight for human rights’ advocacy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.