1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

If your birth family is toxic and manipulative. Is it possible to have your own happy family one day

Discussion in 'General (Off Topic)' started by Whynot, Jul 27, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
  1. Whynot
    Cool

Whynot Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +303 / 0 / -5
    Is it possible or are you stuck in a pattern? Or worse will you even be unable to get a real connection?

2. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Non-binary Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 0 / -1
    I hope so. I wouldn't be happy otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. buzzzer

buzzzer Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    It gets better. Sometimes you have to move towards it. It is very possible.

4. Jo A
    Innocent

Jo A ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,162 / 2 / -1
    I was emancipated at age 16, it was determined I would do a better job of raising myself.

I have many things to be happy about and look at a lot of blessings.

So yes I rose above it all.

5. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,525 / 2 / -12
    I was unwanted and barely tolerated (it's still the same though I'm not welcome at all now; my family believes in "bad seed" though I've accomplished more than most of them, and it has nothing to do with being gay) so long before I was a teenager I made my own world. I don't miss anything or anyone. I don't even think about it, other than thinking it's amusing sometimes. I prefer the world I made for myself much more than anything they have, which isn't much.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. angel70
    Supportive

angel70 The Old Guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5,299 / 1 / -36
    Toxic families make it very difficult for children to learn to trust, and that makes successful relationships a real struggle. With the right partner, though, I think it still can be possible.

7. john1010101
    Old Hag

Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +615 / 0 / -11
    On the other hand there is such a thing as toxic children. In know parents of five children, three of whom are fully developed and sane, the other two are a disaster. The were all raised the same way, all loved and protected . Maybe though the parents shouldn’t have named the toxic pair ‘Chaos’ and ‘Zero’ ?

8. Whynot
    Cool

Whynot Addictive Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +303 / 0 / -5
    I guess its kinda impossible. I was thinking about my siblings. They are in abusive marriages, lies, cheating, possessiveness, divorce. All of them their partners walked all over them.
    For two years now I feel like I do want to get married and have my own family. Now I started to limit toxic connections in my life and I feel ready to meet a woman. I have a space and time for tbat. However, Looking at my siblings history though I am not optimistic. But me and them are completely different people thats why I couldn't get along with them. My parents are the biggest failure too. Separation, divorce, cheating
    Like not even a single successful And healthy relationship in the family, hell even themselves they can't have a healthy connection together. Why we cannot choose our families?

9. KananRose
    Goofy

KananRose Always living my best life

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    A toxic family is never good for you to be a part of, but you can always choose your own family, it doesn't have to be a connection through blood. "Blood of the covenant is thicker then the water of the womb"
    Even so, I believe that when you have your own marriage, you strive to be better then your parents, especially when they are less then desireable. All that is needed is some self-confidence (hard to have in that situation) and knowing where they went wrong with their relationship

Hope this is somewhat helpful,
    Kanan

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.