1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

How should I come out to my homophobic parents?

Discussion in 'Lesbian' started by ShadowDemon, Jan 9, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
  1. ShadowDemon

ShadowDemon Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My parents are extremely homophobic. They burn LGBT flags and assault people who are apart of the LGBT community. I want to tell them that I'm lesbian, but I'm afraid they will kick me out of the house. What should I do?

2. Sir A.G
    Artistic

Sir A.G Transgender Guy
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 1 / -5
    I don't think you should. From what you've said, there is an incredibly high chance they will kick you out. I know, it feels bad to keep it all a secret when really you want them to know and wish for acceptance, but safety comes first. Some people think "there's no way my parents would kick me out, I'm their child" but it's definitely possible and can be completely unexpected when/if they do.

3. Kymber1956
    Cynical

Kymber1956 Who? Me? When?
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that is sadly true. If they are so anti-LGBT that they will burn flags that aren't their property to make their point, they'd sooner disown you than accept you.
    And if you're under 18, you have little choice but to put up with it until you come of legal age, get a job to support yourself, and move out.
    I definitely would not tell them.

4. six
    Balanced

six Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I think what you have to do is just hold on for a little longer, my friend. If you're not able to financially support yourself I think it would be in your best interests to wait until you've moved out and away and have a job. If they're loving parents, hopefully they would accept you for who you are, but waiting seems like the smartest move. Then, if you feel ready to when you're long gone away from them, whatever they say, they can't kick you out of your own home if you don't live with them. Loving friends and family will support you if you get to this stage. Until then, hold on.

5. Just_Me _Rosa
    Chatty

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Heyy, I am lucky and my parents accept me, but if they dont like in your case you should really think about your future, I dont know how old you are but you will probably need your parents for food and a roof over your head. If you would just suck it up and think about your future with people who will accept you it might be a little easier to get threw the week. I know it easier to just type it instead of ectually doing it but I dont know if you have much of a choice. And again you need to think of your future
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    Oh and if you ever want to rant about your parents stupitity I their ;)  , Goodluck anyways xx

6. iwannabeagiraffe
    Anime Lover

iwannabeagiraffe "I'm a general, whee!" -Charles Lee
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I honestly think you shouldn't just yet. If you can live on your own, you could be safe. But if you live with your parents and are stuck there, then don't Your safety is more important. It's really up to you, though. If you want to, I would suggest telling them straight up. Don't beat around the bush.

7. Adci

Adci Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same here, I just hide my sexual orientation cause my mother a homophobia. I just hide it until my mother realize who I am and let her to thinking by herself.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.