1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

How old were you when you found out?

Discussion in 'Questioning & General LGBT' started by Kamil_4, Oct 6, 2017.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 22 users.
  1. anon_abstraction
    Adorable

anon_abstraction ⚧⚲ ⚥
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    Another example of people being confused by biological sex at 2 or 3 and realizing they are transgender between 7 and 9. It's almost like it's a pattern! It is actually really cool though to see people have experiences similar to mine at similar ages. Mine wasn't more than two though, mine was how it was linked to biology. Gender is confusing >_<

2. conflicted_:(

conflicted_:( Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    12 but I think in a way I've kinda known for a long time. I just didn't figure out the "label" until I was 12.

3. Jinxie
    Goofy

Jinxie Reliable Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I knew since I was 11 since I had always found both boys and girls appealing to me. I never really knew until middle school that I was bisexual and later on realizing I was genderfluid.

4. zen

zen Curator, Royal Academy of Inappropriate Handshake
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    You were also like that? Yeah, it's cool to know how early we already had the ideas and behaviours that define ourselves to be LGBT. This makes me wonder if the Hormone Theory is true for LGBT. Have you also had weird behaviours like, I had? Something like: I used to try to poke sticks into my dolls genitalia when I was really young like 3 or 4, and they say boys have this kind of poking stuffs in dents behaviour naturally?

5. anon_abstraction
    Adorable

anon_abstraction ⚧⚲ ⚥
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    No but I had the weird notion that removing certain body parts controlled not just biology but identity as well. I didn't understand gender at all. I still don't. I think my parents thought I was thinking only biologically which in fact I was not. I was confused how body parts had an effect on temperament and identity. Which was my actual confusion. Not that boy without penis makes a woman a woman because she doesn't have the genitalia like my parents thought.

The question I had in first grade was this and still is,

Why does biology determine gender?

It doesn't make sense and my parents could never explain to me why people acted differently because of body parts they possessed. Gender is a concept I have never understood, never will understand. Agender people will always be confused by gender. I have never met one who could really grasp the concept that biology changes gender even the ones I would call demiagender are very confused by what it's like to possess one.

6. brene
    Lurking

brene Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    At 23 ,can you believe it.

7. zen

zen Curator, Royal Academy of Inappropriate Handshake
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    I only have a basic information on the matter that might explain a part of this question. About sexes, what it basically comes down to is DNA/its products: hormones, but sex is far more complicated than scientists believed until recently. Like I wrote a couple of times somewhere before, it was found out that our sexes are not determined just by X and Y, and all the sex determining DNAs are not yet found out, we still don't know what exactly are constructing our sex-specific characteristics including a part of gender, and as you know genders are largely products of social construct. And from what i read, those sex determining DNA other than X and Y have a switch to stop certain DNA from functioning, and if this switch is broken or switched on, this person will develop characteristics of opposite sex. So if a person is a boy, and one of the sex determining DNA in his brain is switched on, his behaviour becomes more feminine...something like this. So, at this stage, even the cutting edge scientists haven't grasped what sex is, it will take longer time to figure out about gender. Life is full of mystery. LOL

Since the term 'agender' seems actually contain different groups of people according to Gender Wiki, it's hard for me to grasp agender people, and what degree they are being confused about gender, sorry, but from the information I wrote above, I think it's only normal for some people to get confused about what sex-related messages our bodies are actually sending to our brains. At this stage, it seems we can only guess.

BTW, it's really frustrating for me as a trans that today's common belief on sexes has been already overturned by scientific findings long time ago, yet, not many people seem to know about this fact, and still try to label us as freaks.

#27 zen, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  8. infinito30
    Sarcastic

infinito30 Lurker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I figured out that i'm bi when I was round 10 as I was having a sleep over round my best friend at the times house and then we played 'dares' with just the 2 of us and dared each other to kiss and then we made out! XD

9. Cyan13
    Musical

Cyan13 introvert
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i've probably known i'm a guy all my life
    but i didn't actually pay attention to gender until like seven months ago
    and didn't realise i'm a guy until maybe three weeks ago
    but now it seems kind of obvious

oh btw i'm thirteen

#29 Cyan13, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  10. areyouthere

areyouthere Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i officially came out to myself as bisexual at the age of 14, but i kind of knew about my attraction towards girls before. i remember crushing on a few girls when i was 10 and getting scared that i was a lesbian because i didn't really know it was okay at that time. looking back now i also realize that the girls i considered to be my best friends were actually also my crushes, i just didn't know that it was possible for this feeling to be non-platonic.

11. FF Soul
    Anime Lover

FF Soul bruhhhhhh
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    My situation was quite similar but, different, I also had a Huge admiration for all my female friends but since Im also Demi-sexual and not really into relationships, it took me a while to figure out that I didn't care about gender, and eventually when I was 18-19 I figured out I wasnt straight and now Im 21.
    I look back though in my life and I realize how many signs there were its crazy. XDD

12. Fantasma
    Doubtful

Fantasma Restless Soul
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I was 12 when I noticed something was up, but I didn't really care about it too much. When I was 16-17 years old I started to put together the puzzle pieces but still I didn't know what was wrong. I just knew that I sometimes felt like a gay man stuck in a woman's body and sometimes I was just a girl thinking guys were yummy. When I was 19 I did some research and thought for awhile that I was intergender because I didn't know anything more than the sexualities... I was thinking for awhile that I might join a forum like this one and ask for help... but I became scared that something was seriously wrong with me so... I didn't. (And I felt intergender didn't really fit either.)

I found out when I was almost 21 years old when I came here... that I'm genderfluid. :) 

13. Imnotsure
    Supportive

Imnotsure Young bi guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    About 2 months ago so 14

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.