1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

how do you feel social media is affecting your mental wellbeing?

Discussion in 'Health - Physical/Mental' started by CandyAngel1, Jun 30, 2020 at 5:05 AM.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. CandyAngel1

CandyAngel1 Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,
    I am a social work student and I'm wondering if you could help me with my dissertation by providing me with your opinions or experiences of using social media. Do you feel it has a negative impact on your mental wellbeing e.g. have you experienced cyberbullying, do you compare yourself to others online with regards to how you look, your abilities or social life, do you find yourself constantly checking for messages or posts and find it hard to remove yourself from social media and relax? Has this led to low self-esteem, anxiety or depression? Or do you feel social media benefits you by connecting you to others and to support networks, do you feel it allows you to be creative and to develop new knowledge?
    If you could provide your age this would also be helpful as I am particularly interested in the views of young people aged 10-18years. Or if you have children maybe you could ask their views.

I really hope you can help! Many thanks upfront. x

2. unicorndice
    No Mood

unicorndice Helpful Member
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I'd be happy to help you by sharing my personal views. :)  I'm 18 years old and overall social media has had some negative impacts on my mental health but also has had some benefits. I have had issues and still struggle with issues regarding comparing myself to others online. I have also found it difficult at times not to be obsessed with how many likes I'm getting or how many messages I have from others. This has contributed to feelings of depression and low self-esteem in the past. I fortunately have not experienced cyberbullying. As I mentioned before, there have also been good sides to social media for me. It has helped me stay connected with my friends especially during COVID-19 and a recent move. I have also stumbled into positive social networks and forums like this one that have helped me tremendously. I have also acquired new knowledge and skills by interacting with other people on social media platforms.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.