1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Nonbinary How do you even choose a major?

Discussion in 'College/University' started by Bornunderabadsign, May 10, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
  1. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Non-binary Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,371 / 0 / -1
    Going back to school is something I really want to do. But, I still find myself facing one of the same questions that I had as fresh faced 18 year old. That question being what to major in.

I've narrowed it down a bit but I can't just decide. I'm such an indecisive little creature.

My first choice is Biology with a Chemistry minor. I could imagine myself being a microbiologist or studying fungi or lichen or being a botanist.

My second choice is Computer Science. I've played with Python and I think building apps or working on operating systems could be fun.

My third choice is English. I read more than anything and I write a bit. I would love to get into linguistics as language structure and history fascinate me.

The first two pose a problem because my maths skills aren't great. I am however up to the challenge.

Was finding the right major a difficult issue for anyone else?

2. alliehfish

alliehfish Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I knew exactly what I wanted to major in my senior year of high school and never changed my mind. I have a degree in Professional Writing (basically creative writing) and I don't regret getting it because writing is my number one passion, but I do wish I had double majored. After graduating, I couldn't find a job with my degree and was stuck working jobs that didn't require higher education. I ended up going back to school to get a Master's in Library and Information Science. That didn't quite work out either because I was able to get my dream position with the public library, but they wouldn't give me more than 20 hours a week, so I had to switch gears and now I'm a high school English teacher and working towards my alternative teaching certification. My hope is that I will soon be able to succeed as a novelist and will eventually become a school librarian, so my degrees will be used, but I could have been smarter and double majored during undergrad.

If I were you, I would do a combination of those things. Become knowledgeable in all of the things you are interested in. I desperately wish I had double majored in Education or maybe something completely different. It would have saved me a lot of time and money. Have you thought about maybe double majoring in Biology and English and getting a Computer Science minor? That could potentially open up a lot of doors for you. My wife has a degree in Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science and her job is CS-related. Just a thought.

Always follow your passions, but make sure you think far enough ahead to get the most value out of your education.

Good luck!

3. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 Almost Gone
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +548 / 0 / -6
    As an ill educated autodidact I’m somewhat skeptical about formal qualifications, apart from maybe medicine/ engineering /aeronautics etc. I’ve held four graduate positions without the relevant qualifications - - Research Librarian, stock market research, chef, diplomatic corps (security).
    At no time did I feel out of my depth. in fact I found many of the graduates I worked with stupid beyond belief. MB A’s in particular annoy me. They may enter their studies as intelligent but too often a complete idiot comes out the other end communicating in incomprehensible gibberish even they often don’t understand. ‘’Goals directed outcomes’ for ‘Aims’, ‘Redeployment opportunity’ for ’sacking’ - the list could go on. The tragedy of this is we now have far too many of these fools running tertiary education institutions.

#3 john1010101, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. Duckboots
    Feminine

Duckboots Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Being dyslexic, I naturally chose to be an English major.
    It was nice, but I dropped out because of family problems.

5. mario1

mario1 Lurker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What I would personally recommend is figuring out 1. what kind of work you want to do and 2. what it is about the three options you listed that attract you.

I will say linguistics and biology both have areas of study that make heavy use of computer science. I would recommend looking into bioinformatics personally.

6. jesssmart

jesssmart Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, a 4 year college degree isn’t obligatory for many of today's good jobs. You can find lots of examples of jobs for high school graduates where you might see higher wages (gas plant operators, boilermakers, postal service mail carriers, police and sheriff's patrol officers, property managers, telecommunications line installers and repairers, and others. I have a friend who has been attending college and constantly uses some third party service to do assignments ( https://writix.co.uk/assignment-help ). He always says college is not the best choice for him, he would have better strarted making money

7. dustyrecords
    Feminine

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Hey there! I'm still pretty young and in college myself, so I'm not sure if what I say will be of a lot of help.
    I know a ton of people who go to college for one thing, and then end up doing something completely different as their career. I don't think there's any right or wrong choice, and even if it's not super convenient, things are always able to change if you become unhappy.
    I would say go with your number one choice... just the college accepting you for your intended major says something about you! That's how I looked at it when I was trying to decide what to do... they wouldn't let you in if they didn't believe in your potential.
    No matter what you decide, I hope that things work in your favor!
    Best wishes! :) 

8. Iron_Tactician
    Balanced

Iron_Tactician Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I didn't want to go on to University once I was finished with school.

I spent a lot of years being lazy, quite frankly, and have had plenty of time to think about where my life would go.

After a messy break-up of a long-term relationship a few years ago, I really re-evaluated my life. I always felt like I missed out not going on to University. All of my friends are graduates and I always feel like the dumb one in the room. I know that you do not require a degree to be smart, but it is what it is.

So, I decided to get myself in gear and get on with it. I had to go back to school to gain the qualifications necessary to return to University as a 27-year old, sadly interrupted by the Quarantine, but hey-ho. How it feels to be ten years older than all the other students is a different matter entirely... xD

The biggest question through all of this was what I would study. I always wanted to go on to study Drama, because I loved that at school, but that didn't feel like a realistic personal goal for myself. I wanted something really meaty, that I could really sink my teeth into, which left two other interests. History, and Psychology.
    Problem with History is that you're stuck learning about the teachers known time periods, and not necessarily what you're interested in. Which really only left Psychology.

I feel really secure and confident about Psychology now, and I'm really not a very confidant person.

I'm not sure how things work in the US, but I know that here, once you're accepted, they tend to bend over backwards to keep you here and studying, which means shifting courses isn't totally out of the question if you do change your mind. Though, you seem to have some very solid choices already made, so it seems like you'll fine regardless. :) 

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.