1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Hi :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by katze, Jul 20, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. katze

katze Lurker

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I`m a 25 years old married hetero from Germany.

I joined this website cause I might have offended someone in a discussion about homosexuality at work. It really wasn't my intention to hurt anyone.

I might not seem like the most likeable person in the world but I still would be glad if I could be at this forum to get more informed, cause I don´t know which things are appropriate to say and which aren´t...I´m lacking in empathy here ...so I hope I can improve myself here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Kahlan

Kahlan Well-Known Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -1
    That's very nice of you. :)  And you are very welcome here. I will say this though, we often offend each other here too, lol. We are all learning, and every single letter of LGBTQ is represented here. So kick back, take in the "lingo" and have a drink. *cheers* (No, I am not hitting on you. :-P)

I would love to hear what you said to offend them/him/her though...then I could tell you if they were being overly sensitive, which would not surprise me. It's the world we live in, everyone is offended about everything it seems.

#2 Kahlan, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. xxLovelyxx
    Tired

xxLovelyxx Just your friendly neighborhood whatever.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Welcome. I hope you find what you're looking for here. It's a friendly place and it's helped me quite a bit.
    If you have any questions, there are tons of people on here who would love to help, myself included.
    Good luck on your journey here.
    ~Jamie

4. Jo A
    Innocent

Jo A Well-Known Advisor
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +745 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, peace and Love, and just like any family, someone will be unhappy at some time :) 

Ask questions or even tell us what you think was bad. Trust us, we heard far worse.

Again, welcome and glad you came - Jo A

5. BiBiLife
    No Mood

BiBiLife Whatsername
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,838 / 2 / -4
    Welcome to the forum katze , anyone with an open mind is welcome

6. katze

katze Lurker

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all so much :) 

I just joined a discussion about homosexuality at work, which had been held because of christopher-street-day, which is how we call gay pride in Germany. We watched a movie about the stonewall riots and the acceptance of LGBTQ+ in society today.

After the movie, the discussion started with people complaining about the lack of a gay dance club in town.

Somebody also pointed out that tolerant people who hang with them and their friends who are gay would ask questions about being gay. And I didn't say it, but I just thought that I would maybe feel offended if I would go out with friends, they introduced me to a gay friend, telling him that I am hetero and he would start to ask questions about my sexuality.
    My point is that I don´t see equality in such a behavior and I thought that was the whole point.

As the discussion went on, somebody said that it´s bad gay´s can´t kiss in public.
    So that´s when I said that there are just people how don´t like people kissing in public, even if they aren´t gay. I said maybe sometimes it´s just not the situation to kiss. So the reaction to this more or less was, that some people started to talk about how tolerance is connected to intelligence, that some people aren´t intelligent enough to be tolerant. Which was clearly addressed to me. And I think maybe I am just to naive, because after seeing this reaction, I think maybe he meant only kiss, just like people kiss when they say goodbye to each other in the morning, not like when they don´t see each other again for a week. So with less passion. Really nothing that anybody would care about. Cause in my experience there are situations, indepent of the sexuality of people, where people watch or tell you to get a room. Since he didn´t mean this kind of kissing, which is why what I said just wasn't ok.

I really can´t remember if I´d said this second sentence about the situation to kiss for real, cause thinking back, it sounds pretty bad. I just was a upset cause what my thought during this whole discussion was, was that it´s good that there aren´t any separate bars for homosexuals, cause that means everybody can go to a club together, cause everybody is accepted. I was glad that I didn´t say the other things I thought, because I think that some of my opinions might offend some people.

I am sorry that I wrote so much...I would be glad if some of you could tell me your opinion and help me to find out something about equality and acceptance

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.